Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hibs v County on Boxing Day - Must Win
(12-27-2012, 10:05 PM)Savage Henry Wrote: This really does show how backward the SFL is. Run more! Track back more! Kick people more!

When you're a goal up and desperate for your first win in seven games, you really do need your strikers working as the first line of defence. Morrow stands static like a sack of tatties and has zero ability to hold the ball up unless it's basically right into his feet. Anything off his chest or head is instantly lost and the pressure is back on. He then refuses to exert himself in attempting defenders/midfielders making rushed passes.

Considering the fact that Barca are masters of pressing high up the pitch and forcing teams into losing possession before they can get into dangerous areas your comment is utter pish.

I'm not a fan of Morrow, far from it. However, I don't agree with people berated players on our own team. Much better to be silent when a player you don't rate is on the park. If you are noticing a player not pulling his weight or playing well you can be sure Del is seeing it too. I think he is better placed to run this team than any of us, and all the boo boys do is create pressure or at least displeasure amongst the team. If you feel really strongly about it you could always write a letter to Del to offer him your pearls of wisdom.

(12-28-2012, 08:58 AM)Comrie Wrote:
(12-27-2012, 10:05 PM)Savage Henry Wrote: This really does show how backward the SFL is. Run more! Track back more! Kick people more!
Considering the fact that Barca are masters of pressing high up the pitch and forcing teams into losing possession before they can get into dangerous areas your comment is utter pish.

Well, Yes and No.

Taking Barca as the example, there's a team ethic in what they do, they all don't rush it as if it was school ground football. Barca push in zones, almost like zonal pressing in basketball, but notice that it is done in small groups. Also it's not often you'll see Messi deep inside his own half and if you do, theres always at least a couple of Barca attackers higher up on the halfway line.

What some seem to be asking is for our striker to chase like he's a dog after the proverbial car, there is no point in Morrow or anyone else, running after shadows if they are going to be the only one doing so. Sometime a striker can act as a better deterrent to the opposition attacking by just staying as high up as possible, trouble comes when they get dragged into helping the midfield and defense and there's no out.

This is the area that Morrow can improve, as you mention the ball often bounce's back of him, I suppose when you have several opposition players breathing down your back it's a bit more difficult than it looks from the stands.
Disclaimer -Anything posted by this user is likely to contain large amount of sarcasm, humour and nuts. At no time should anything be taken seriously, even on serious topics. Failure to do so may result in confusion and your tongue turning black, consult a doctor if symptoms persist.

Information 
This concept of "lazy" players makes me sigh, tut, face-palm, roll my eyes and take a deep breath.
sighs, tuts, face-palms, rolls eyes and takes deep breath

Some players look a bit relaxed because they are trying to keep composed and focused and, well sufficiently relaxed actually. If too tense they will fluff it at the crucial moment. There's a place for fired-up passion and aggression but it has to be under control. So you have to be strong and buzzing but also keep a calm and clever head.

Sometimes heads can go down when belief has been battered too much, but it is in my opinion very rare for County players not to try hard. As has been pointed out, Del would not tolerate it anyway.
Malky Mackay - he's our new manager

(12-29-2012, 01:09 AM)Les Westander Wrote: This concept of "lazy" players makes me sigh, tut, face-palm, roll my eyes and take a deep breath.
sighs, tuts, face-palms, rolls eyes and takes deep breath

Some players look a bit relaxed because they are trying to keep composed and focused and, well sufficiently relaxed actually. If too tense they will fluff it at the crucial moment. There's a place for fired-up passion and aggression but it has to be under control. So you have to be strong and buzzing but also keep a calm and clever head.

To be fair, I don't think we can describe Morrow as such. His body language screams that the ball should be coming to him. That is useless when others are pressing high up.

I vividly remember at a recent match how cheesed off RB was when Morrow CBA closing down his man when Brittain and Vigurs had squeezed the play into the outside-right channel. Morrow's marker had an extra half a second to clear and some of County's best pressure in that match dissipated entirely. Morrow was hooked off at HT.

While I agree with SH's sentiment (when players are technically good enough to not rely on bluster), Morrow isn't good enough to not have the same work rate as the others.

fair enough. You'd think he'd have learned by now, and won't have such habits tolerated long.
Malky Mackay - he's our new manager

Good win for Hibs the day. What a fecked up league we have this year and hopefully to our advantage.