Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
vs Aberdeen 06/11/19
I sometimes find it hard to blame Laidlaw when it looks like our defence is asleep for some of the goals we concede but he really didn't inspire confidence today at all. Foster on the bench was a bizarre call, and I think more than anything we really missed a Draper or a Vigurs today, someone who can inspire their own kind of identity on a pretty shapeless midfield and create opportunities for others. Lost count of the headers that Aberdeen won over us too. Gutting to lose like that to what I felt was a substandard Aberdeen.

(11-09-2019, 10:38 PM)Despot Wrote: Aberdeen didn't create an awful lot but their goals were pretty terrible to giveaway, the third was a comedy of errors.

Oh well.

Absolutely. All three goals were gifted to Aberdeen, and completely avoidable.

Tbh i thought that the better team lost. I wasn't impressed with the starting XI but i thought Kelly, Fraser, Spence and Henderson all had their best games (that I've seen them play anyway) sometimes we overplayed it a little but our passing and directness really had Aberdeen's defence on the back foot, so much so that the main stand linesman was their best defender befire half time, the reff came to McKenna's rescue in the second half

I thought Morris played well and really Laidlaw didn't do much wrong, the first goal was jyst a great fk, the second should have been cleared and Mullin had plenty of time to clear the ball for the third. Fontaine is a mess though i can't understand how he starts every week.

That is the most disjointed Aberdeen team ive seen for year's, Cosgrove is a horrendous diver!

(11-09-2019, 11:12 PM)tattiedave Wrote: Not having a go at you, but “oh well”,is that what the majority on this forum are thinking? I believe we are better than that,we cannot accept a poor performance against a poor Aberdeen team,
I fear comments from the managerial team are affecting the players and fans.
We must go into every game believing we can win, against whoever we come up against.
That has to be the mindset ,which I am not sure is there before stepping on the park.

I'd rather I didn't have to use "oh well" but I went into that game expecting a scoring defeat with some hapless defending and it's exactly what I got.

I was in the Caley with six other County fans and the line up was a head scratching one. I really want to get behind Ketts and Ferg but at times their tactical naivety shows.
She never meant to call,
She did anyway

(11-09-2019, 11:48 PM)skelbomark Wrote: Laidlaw has to go, stats speak for themselves. More soft goals today that I am sure Foxy would have dealt with.

First goal was when Henderson broke away from the wall to follow Bryson's run, and McGinn put the ball right where Henderson had been. No blame to Laidlaw for that one at all.

Second goal, always tricky these free kicks, but Laidlaw was not helped by Graham charging across the six yard box to clear it and missing the ball completely.

Third goal, nothing Laidlaw could do about that one.

(11-09-2019, 08:56 PM)tattiedave Wrote: was our disallowed goal in second half off side?

Gardyne man of the match, strange one

Have watched the disallowed goal multiple times in slow-mo, and although there were a couple of County players off-side, Stewart was at worst level, IMHO.

Gardyne was easily our best and most inventive player yesterday.

(11-10-2019, 09:38 PM)Five Minutes from the Ground Wrote: Have watched the disallowed goal multiple times in slow-mo, and although there were a couple of County players off-side, Stewart was at worst level, IMHO.

Been looking for that, where have you seen it again?

There's no doubt that we're shipping far too many cheap goals but we're also bringing sustained pressure on the defence by giving possession away too cheaply - the game's all about the ball, we need to learn to look after it better, unless it happens to be bobbling about our penalty-box, when we just need to put it into the Cromarty Firth.. Re the number of goals we concede from set-pieces, it always puzzles me why we don't show some initiative by putting a couple of guys on the half-way line, ready for a potential break - this would surely thin out the clutter around our penalty-area and also give us an out-ball. I'm also in favour of putting someone on at least one of the goalposts - and yes, I know we only have so many players but we need to consider how we can use them to best effect.. Of course, I don't spend my working-week practising and thinking about football, so what would I know? (PS - Both at the Pittodrie game and again yesterday, big Cosgrove persisted in quite obviously throwing his huge frame to the ground, in search of free-kicks - why aren't referees getting wise to him?).

(11-10-2019, 09:38 PM)Five Minutes from the Ground Wrote: First goal was when Henderson broke away from the wall to follow Bryson's run, and McGinn put the ball right where Henderson had been. No blame to Laidlaw for that one at all.

Second goal, always tricky these free kicks, but Laidlaw was not helped by Graham charging across the six yard box to clear it and missing the ball completely.

Have watched the disallowed goal multiple times in slow-mo, and although there were a couple of County players off-side, Stewart was at worst level, IMHO.

Yeah ,maybe I was hard on Laidlaw for first goal,just seen highlights and Henderson broke from wall.
Second goal, hmm, soft ,but yeah,Graham should have been able to get a foot on it, ended up dummying his own keeper.
Third ,horrific.
We will agree to disagree on Gardyne

(11-10-2019, 09:38 PM)Five Minutes from the Ground Wrote: First goal was when Henderson broke away from the wall to follow Bryson's run, and McGinn put the ball right where Henderson had been. No blame to Laidlaw for that one at all.

Think we have to make a clean break and get Baxter in. Laidlaw is our back up keeper. Laidlaw is part of the County defence that’s lost a woeful amount of goals recently. Think you’d have to be bold to fail to react to the current defensive mess. Start at the back and play the best players available !

(11-10-2019, 10:01 PM)NVACA Wrote: Been looking for that, where have you seen it again?

Just on Sportscene. No camera angle straight across the line, but if you pause it often enough, you can work it out reasonably well. Not VAR definitive though.

(11-10-2019, 11:06 PM)USSR Tycoon Wrote: play the best players available !

Which are always the ones who are not playing. Until they are. When they suddenly become rubbish and need to be dropped.

(11-10-2019, 11:06 PM)USSR Tycoon Wrote: Think we have to make a clean break and get Baxter in. Laidlaw is our back up keeper. Laidlaw is part of the County defence that’s lost a woeful amount of goals recently. Think you’d have to be bold to fail to react to the current defensive mess. Start at the back and play the best players available !

Having seen the highlights, I'm not convinced that Laidlaw is to blame for all of the goals. The first one, he gets his wall all wrong, true and should have been wise to Mcginns free kick.

However the second one it must have went past 3 County shirts before it got to him, and should never have reached him.

The third one should have been cleared by Muillin and then Fontaine. I think they all stopped expecting a penalty.

He's by no means Schmichael but he has been getting no help from his defence, who dont clear the ball, dont stay in the wall, and give away free kicks on the edge of the box!

I was of the same opinion Stewart goal was not offside
Cosgrove was falling anytime someone looked at him
At Considine goal if it was not a penalty it should have been a free kick for us because Cosgrove handled he ball when he fell
Ref was tricked into giving Aberdeen players free kick
Watching Stubbs getting sent off in Killie game why was Dons player not sent off he was last player when he hauled our player
Alan Newlands needs to learn rules and get hair oot o his eyes

Some thoughts from Saturday:
-On our trip to Pittodrie in August, Aberdeen simply ran over our 4-4-2 setup and we were comprehensively beaten. Guess what system we lined up with on Saturday? I'm sure I've made this point on here before, but 4-4-2 is outdated and needs binning against stronger opponents than us
-One lesson the management team did learn, though, from that game- Foster was absolutely rinsed by Ryan Hedges that day (and was far too easily beaten for Hamilton's 1st goal the previous week), for those questioning Kelly's recall at LB
-Baxter only resumed training with us on Thursday. Expect the next step for him will be a development/closed-door bounce game or 2, hopefully with a view to him taking over for St Midden away next Saturday. Jack Ruddy, we hardly knew ye
-Lewis Ferguson is an absolute #baller. Head and shoulders above every other player on the park. He'll be playing for a much bigger side than Aberdeen in 18 months
-Ferguson aside, I don't think this current Aberdeen side is as talented as their side from 2-3 years ago. However, they retain their ability to win a game- once they went 2-1 up, they were never going to lose
-Both our centre backs were poor, making rash decisions that could easily have earned them early baths (on that note, Alan Newlands had an awful game for both sides). As bad as the 2nd goal looks, it doesn't happen if Morris doesn't needlessly barge into Cosgrove while he's going away from goal- that's not "tricking" anyone, it's naivety on our players' part. As for the 3rd, that just needed someone to put their foot through it and clear their lines (although had Considine not scored, we're almost certainly conceding a penalty for Mullin bringing down Cosgrove)
- More Ewan Henderson, please. Cracking prospect
- Lee Erwin is worth persevering with. There's a player in there
"The heart of the club is the fan. The board and the chairman are custodians. The staff are transient. But the fan is there forever"

Roy Macgregor, April 2013

Feel bad for Laidlaw on that second goal, having seen it again I don't think that all of the blame is his. Brian graham runs straight across the front of him and misses the ball completely for the clearance leaving Laidlaw with less time to react. Should he still have saved it? Maybe, but it's hard when your own team are making your job difficult!

(11-10-2019, 12:28 AM)Ullapool Staggie Wrote: Fontaine and Kelly should be bench players at most in top flight football. Foster has been fantastic since joining us and I dare say we need a new CB in January

For me Kelly played well against Aberdeen - as well as he has played since his return for me and got in some really good attacking positions. Also thought Marcus had a decent game - agree his performance levels have dropped. I think Fontaine is an issue but our midfield still struggles to protect the back 4 whether we play as basically a 4 or 5. I think the contains chopping and changing in midfield cant help but I'm not certain the managers seem to know our best midfield.

I'd certainly rather see Watson and Morris currently - Grivo seems out for a bit but would like to see us find a balanced shape and midfield core that gives us a chance to build some more solid performances.

Difficult to know the best team, but we cannot continue to defend as shambolically as we have recently. Fontaine is being dragged out of position too much and gaps are exposed.
Laidlaw in the most time is often left exposed, and I’m not not sure that he is the issue, but certainly Baxter should get his chance when fully fit.

I would like to see a defence of

Foster Morris Watson Kelly

With Fraser (or Draper) - covering in front

Midfield- issues with fitness here but IMO, currently,

Stewart Henderson Chalmers ( or Paton) Gardyne

Up front
Graham ( or Erwin , but not on Saturday’s performance!)

The games v Celtic & Rangers are of little consequence other than to try and keep the goal difference down, but everyone else, Aberdeen included, should be fair game for an away point and home wins. Saturday could have been different had Stewart’s goal been allowed, although in fairness Aberdeen had the edge albeit marginally.

Whilst we must not forget we are not a big club with a huge following, we should still be able to give a good account of ourselves with the squad we have.

To still be in sixth place at this stage is no mean feat and we should all appreciate that.