Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
v Hearts Wed 10th Feb
A tough couple of games coming up with Hearts here on Wednesday and then our visit to Celtic on Saturday.
Hearts reportedly have several players out for this:
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sp...-1-4023568

So surely a good time to be facing them?

We've lost to them twice this season, the 1-2 home defeat back in August and the 2-0 defeat at Tynecastle in October where we just never got going at all and were well beaten.

Presumably Fox, Davies, Foster, Gardyne and Woods will come back in to the starting 11. I'm not sure what Jim will do up front, Boyce ready to start again?

Given this stat maybe it's time for a draw?
@SPLstats 
Ross County have not drawn a match at Victoria Park since March 2014.  Since then, they have played 38 matches, winning 19 and losing 19.
(doesn't include the Linlithgow game).

As you say surely a good time. One day less rest from a much tougher game, having to travel and more players out. Have to be optimistic I would say Smile

IMO a good time to play them. Given current league positions they will probably view the replay as the bigger game. They'll still come to the GES to win but will probably have one eye on Hibs & Easter Road.

Be interesting to hear folks view on Hearts strengths and weaknesses. Going by the number of red cards & goals conceded they seem to be quite a robust unit with a mean defence but where are they weak, pace in behind?. Other than that I know very little so would also be interested in hearing views and ideas on how we should set up, I think the Keeper & back 4 are a given but midfield, 2 or like the Celtic game 3. Up front is a big question, maybe Boyce on his own or paired with Schalk or even Schalk & Goodwillie. Going to be an interesting set of views and I'm really looking forward to seeing what JM puts out on the night. Cautiously optimistic.

Sadly unable to make this one - but going by previous games we seemed to get bullied and out-muscled by Hearts in midfield - so I'd definitely be looking to strengthen that area against them - maybe play Goodwillie as an attacking midfielder in a 4-5-1 formation with either Schalk or Boyce up front.
Supporter Liaison Officer 

I really don't understand why folk are so desperate for us to play one up front. We have 5 strikers all capable of scoring goals so we play one up front?

No thanks, give me a 4-4-2 and out score the opposition please.

(02-08-2016, 10:46 AM)StuartTaylor Wrote: A tough couple of games coming up with Hearts here on Wednesday and then our visit to Celtic on Saturday.
Hearts reportedly have several players out for this:
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sp...-1-4023568

So surely a good time to be facing them?

We've lost to them twice this season, the 1-2 home defeat back in August and the 2-0 defeat at Tynecastle in October where we just never got going at all and were well beaten.

Presumably Fox, Davies, Foster, Gardyne and Woods will come back in to the starting 11. I'm not sure what Jim will do up front, Boyce ready to start again?

Given this stat maybe it's time for a draw?
@SPLstats 
Ross County have not drawn a match at Victoria Park since March 2014.  Since then, they have played 38 matches, winning 19 and losing 19.
(doesn't include the Linlithgow game).

Use Goodwillie  we have him so use him ,in my opinion when on his game he is a far better player than 
  Grifiths .--- Macintyre  rescued Boyces  Career, Gardynes Career,Fosters Career , Devita Fraser  McShane   Why not. Goodwillie

I'm with Pete, 442 and get stuck into them!

They're really struggling to get any type of back four together, it could be Souter an McGee in the middle for them.

I'd keep Gardyne on the left, he and Foster will need to keep an eye on Paterson, i think he's one of their best attacking options, and he's a rightback! Keep him quiet and we might get a very rare win against the Jam Tarts.

Eather go back to 4-4-2 or stick with the 4-1-4-1 like we did in the semi

(02-08-2016, 07:27 PM)Strathpefferstaggie Wrote: Eather go back to 4-4-2 or stick with the 4-1-4-1 like we did in the semi

I liked the way 4-1-4-1 worked v Sellick, but I'd be surprised to see us use it much more, especially after signing another forward on loan. I think we'll see 4-4-2, but who do you drop if they want Goodwillie in from the start? Schalk has been on a great run once he's got some game time under his belt, but Graham is also in some scoring form with 2 v Linlithgow. It's a puzzler for Jim

I still like Schalk & Graham up top, given they both scored at the weekend then will we be more likely to see them? There's another dilemma in the middle, McShane has been solid since coming into the team but there seemed to be a lack of solidity in the middle on Saturday... would Woods come in for Irvine? It would be good to keep Irvines explosive energy for later in the game...

I'd go; Fox - Foster, Davies, Quinn, Fraser - Midge, McShane, Irvine, Franks(?) - Graham, Schalk

We have some good quality in the team so it is quite hard to see what will be changed!

I think county should go same as semi 4-1-4-1 when we play 4-4-2 like we have lately we look weak in the midfield
The reason for this IMO is we don't have another player like Curren who works his socks off getting back to help the midfield
McShane, Woods and Irvine play well together and I would not risk Boyce till his hand has been given time to heal, it is restricting his blance whitch was obvious against Celtic and Rose
This would leave us with three expericenced strikers
Play with two wide players and this would allow us to spread the game allowing the midfielders to get into opposistions box

Fortune favours the brave! Let's have a real go at them and make 4th place ours. StJ are plagued with injuries so this is a great chance to move well ahead of them. Bear in mind that 4th place can be a European place if the Spl winners also lift the Scottish Cup. StJ's form will improve so we should make the most of our current opportunity.

In Jim and Billy we trust - can't argue with the season we have had already this season - GET INTO THEM!
Supporter Liaison Officer 

Is this one on telly?

I'd go with
Fox
Fraser Davies Quinn foster
Gardyne woods Irvine mcshane franks
Schalk
County till I die

I'd go with
Fox
Fraser, Davies, Quinn, Foster
Gardyne, Irvine, Woods, Franks
Boyce, Schalk/Goodwillie

(02-09-2016, 04:17 PM)Haitch Wrote: Is this one on telly?

Unfortunately not.  However, it's the only Scottish game being played tomorrow so you should at least get full commentary on Radio Scotland.

I'm torn between sticking with the 4-5-1 that worked so well against Celtic and a 4-4-2 to attack a weakened Hearts side.

I think I'd go with a dynamic 4-5-1 with the wingers pushing forward:

Fox
Fraser Quinn Davies Foster
Franks McShane Woods Irvine Gardyne
Schalk

But I suspect McIntyre will go for his more tried and test 4-4-2 and:

Fox
Franks Woods Irvine Gardyne
Graham Schalk

I'm far from convinced by Franks getting a starting berth, especially as he was hooked at half-time against Linlithgow.  But when your other winger options are De Vita or Dingwall, I think he's worth persevering with.  Despite a couple of ambitious efforts in the first half on Saturday, De Vita did nothing of note - and has consistently done nothing of note this season.  Jim might go for Murdoch on the right again, but given he had to be subbed off before being sent off against Celtic, I'm not so sure!  Boyd and Reckord will also have done their first team chances no good whatsoever after that performance at the weekend.

On a more positive note, the idea of Ross County being able to bring players of the calibre of Boyce and Goodwillie off the bench is mouth-watering.

2-1 to County, although I'll take a draw.

Goodwillie upfront with Boyce explosive ,I rate him a better player than Grifiths when on his game,we have him so use him ,jim Macintyre rescued Boyce Career Gardyhes Career Fraser career Fosters Career Davies Career so why not Goodwillie trust in jim and Bill boy

(02-09-2016, 06:04 PM)Forfinn Wrote: I'm torn between sticking with the 4-5-1 that worked so well against Celtic and a 4-4-2 to attack a weakened Hearts side.

I think I'd go with a dynamic 4-5-1 with the wingers pushing forward:

Fox
Franks McShane Woods Irvine Gardyne
Schalk
I share your thoughts on the above, but what about trying Goodwillie out wide instead of Franks?  
I'm sure he can play there?

Franks did have a good cross for Graham on Sat against LR, and was excellent against Celtic, but I think the space he was afforded in those two games had a bearing.  He's usually very frustrating with his final ball and Hearts wont be so open, and our pitch is much tighter than Hampden.
De Vita looked decent to me on Sat, and I'm sure it was his ball in that lead to Schalk's goal (De Vita ball in, Irvine knock-down, Schalk finish, Foster hug for De Vita).  Again though, maybe not enough of note lately to warrant a start against a very good (albeit weakened) Hearts team.

Buaben is suspended for them in centre mid, but Djoum has apparently been passed fit now, with Cowie available on the bench.  So their centre mid is still strong enough to steam-roller our 442 (again).
That said, with Hearts weakened in centre defence, I'll be very surprised if Jim doesn't go 442.

Dropping McShane would be harsh, although understandable if we went 4-4-2.