Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 37 Votes - 2.73 Average
Speculation thread
(06-14-2019, 05:13 PM)LauchlansLeftBoot Wrote: I imagine we are still feeling the cost of relegation, obviously we are very lucky with Roy, but running at those sort of costs is not a sustainable model.

Kieran Maguire put up some figures a month or two back.

https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status...7983216641

Be interesting to see how they compare to last season.

With the parachute payment, the increased prize money for winning the championship and the bigger attendance figures for the season, I'm not sure there was much a cost of relegation.

(06-14-2019, 08:17 PM)jamiepscot Wrote: With the parachute payment, the increased prize money for winning the championship and the bigger attendance figures for the season, I'm not sure there was much a cost of relegation.

It was something like £1.3million in terms of loss of advertising revenue, television payments, reduced crowds, sales and what not. Not sure where you are getting the increased attendance - the average crowd was significantly lower last year - to the extent that they kept the away stand closed for most games.

The club was quite open about it - a second season in the Championship would have been catastrophic.

The advantage of relegation is that the club is no longer paying 78% of its turnover on players, which not only is unsustainable, but is borderline criminally negligent.

(06-15-2019, 08:25 AM)Savage Henry Wrote: It was something like £1.3million in terms of loss of advertising revenue, television payments, reduced crowds, sales and what not. Not sure where you are getting the increased attendance - the average crowd was significantly lower last year - to the extent that they kept the away stand closed for most games.

The club was quite open about it - a second season in the Championship would have been catastrophic.

The advantage of relegation is that the club is no longer paying 78% of its turnover on players, which not only is unsustainable, but is borderline criminally negligent.

I think the Jubilee end only opened up for Caley and Dundee United?
She never meant to call,
She did anyway

(06-15-2019, 08:25 AM)Savage Henry Wrote: It was something like £1.3million in terms of loss of advertising revenue, television payments, reduced crowds, sales and what not. Not sure where you are getting the increased attendance - the average crowd was significantly lower last year - to the extent that they kept the away stand closed for most games.

If we lost £1.3M on relegation we almost certainly paid a higher % of our turnover on players in the Championship than we did in the Premiership. What are the figures?

Saturday, 12th January, 2019. BBC Scotland website.

Failure to get out of the Scottish Championship this season would cost Ross County a further £600,000 chairman Roy MacGregor estimates.

Relegation from the Premiership in May has caused the Dingwall club’s income to drop £1.5 million this term, with the playing side suffering the brunt.

Another quote from MacGregor on the BBC Scotland site;

MacGregor has a reputation for backing his managers and while he will continue to do so, he is adopting a prudent approach.

"We have added four players to date, I think we will possibly have another one to come in," he told BBC Scotland. "The majority of the players have been successful here and we will try and build on that, a lot of them have played in the Premiership before."

So not much more to come in then. Also goes on to say the club don't need to sell Jamie Lindsay;

County recently rejected a bid from Rotherham United for midfielder Jamie Lindsay, with MacGregor insisting: "We don't need to sell.

"We are about developing players, we are about improving players," he said. "If they have improved themselves beyond the structure and the position of this club, we are not standing in players ways either, but they won't be going cheaply.

"Jamie is an integral part of what we have done here, so unless the player particularly wanted to go, and Rotherham were realistic in what they said, we don't want to lose players, we want to build."
Dico Tibi Verum, Libertas Optima Rerum: Nunquam Servili Sub Nexu Vivito, Fili

"Freedom Is Best, I Tell Thee True, Of All Things To Be Won.
Then Never Live Within The Bonds Of Slavery My Son" William Wallace (1270-1305)

(06-20-2019, 09:35 PM)central staggie Wrote: Another quote from MacGregor on the BBC Scotland site;

MacGregor has a reputation for backing his managers and while he will continue to do so, he is adopting a prudent approach.

"We have added four players to date, I think we will possibly have another one to come in," he told BBC Scotland. "The majority of the players have been successful here and we will try and build on that, a lot of them have played in the Premiership before."

So not much more to come in then. Also goes on to say the club don't need to sell Jamie Lindsay;

County recently rejected a bid from Rotherham United for midfielder Jamie Lindsay, with MacGregor insisting: "We don't need to sell.

"We are about developing players, we are about improving players," he said. "If they have improved themselves beyond the structure and the position of this club, we are not standing in players ways either, but they won't be going cheaply.

"Jamie is an integral part of what we have done here, so unless the player particularly wanted to go, and Rotherham were realistic in what they said, we don't want to lose players, we want to build."

Sounds like Lindsay might be off.

I wonder who this one more player will be? My guess is Scott Wright of Aberdeen.

(06-20-2019, 09:58 PM)Savage Henry Wrote: Sounds like Lindsay might be off.

I wonder who this one more player will be? My guess is Scott Wright of Aberdeen.

He's not long signed an extended contract so if he did it would be a loan deal with no chance of getting him out of contract after any time soon.

(06-20-2019, 10:49 PM)frankthetank Wrote: He's not long signed an extended contract so if he did it would be a loan deal with no chance of getting him out of contract after any time soon.

He’s been told by Derek McIness that he can leave for free if he can find a new club, I believe.

Anyway, it’s all swings and roundabouts because Ferguson was on Sky earlier saying he’s happy with the squad as it is, and isn’t looking to bring in anyone else (though “you can never say never”).

Did Scott Wright feature much for Dundee in his loan spell there? Just checked Wikipedia 13 appearances since January and 3 goals: Pretty impressive in a poor Dundee team.

He clearly has potential, going by his appearing for the Scotland Yoof.
Malky Mackay - he's our new manager

(06-21-2019, 02:45 PM)Les Westander Wrote: Did Scott Wright feature much for Dundee in his loan spell there?

He clearly has potential, going by his appearing for the Scotland Yoof.

I have no idea, the Dundee fans can’t stand him though. I’d be inclined to give him a pass as Dundee was such a basket case last season. I don’t think anyone other than their left back played well.

(06-21-2019, 02:56 PM)Savage Henry Wrote: I have no idea, the Dundee fans can’t stand him though. I’d be inclined to give him a pass as Dundee was such a basket case last season. I don’t think anyone other than their left back played well.

Nonsense... if that were the way of reasoning behind keeping/punting players then pretty much anybody that played in the 17-18 County squad should have been passed on...

https://www.ross-shirejournal.co.uk/spor...ty-179474/

Well said Josh, delighted to hear!

(06-21-2019, 03:44 PM)ELincognito Wrote: Nonsense... if that were the way of reasoning behind keeping/punting players then pretty much anybody that played in the 17-18 County squad should have been passed on...

This makes me happy Smile

Read and liked a lot what Steven Ferguson was saying on Ross County Facebook about Jamie Lindsay staying for another season and also Mullin wanting to bring on next season

See Lawrence Shankland is a free agent. Dundee Utd making him an offer.

(06-26-2019, 03:49 PM)the reaper Wrote: See Lawrence Shankland is a free agent. Dundee Utd making him an offer.

We can dream on!

(06-26-2019, 03:49 PM)the reaper Wrote: See Lawrence Shankland is a free agent. Dundee Utd making him an offer.

If Shankland isn't away to England, I'd be amazed.
She never meant to call,
She did anyway

Heard rumors of Col Donaldson coming over the bridge?

(07-02-2019, 09:16 AM)falkirkstaggie Wrote: Heard rumors of Col Donaldson coming over the bridge?

Im afraid NO. I think we have enough cover here with injury returns etc, and im sure he will not win the staggies over very easily with past actions.