Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 37 Votes - 2.73 Average
Speculation thread
Aaron McCarey,

The 24-year-old was released by Wolves last week after six-and-a-half years at the club.

And reports in Scotland suggest he is set to join the Staggies on a two-year contract.

Irishman McCarey played seven times for Wolves and one was one of six players released last week.

One of those six, Tommy Rowe, has signed for Doncaster Rovers on a three-year deal, while Liam McAlinden is believed to be weighing up a number of offers from League One and League Two clubs.

The others were Bjorn Sigurdarson, Razak Boukari and Zeli Ismail.

McCarey was third choice at Molineux behind Carl Ikeme and Arsenal loanee Emiliano Martinez.

Highland club Ross County were promoted to the SPL for the first time in their short league history in 2012 and won the Scottish League Cup in March this year, beating Hibernian 2-1 at Hampden Park.

County boss Jim McIntyre told Highland News: "We have agreed to bring Aaron to the club on a two-year contract, which will be finalised next week.

"He’s a keeper who has played at every level through the ages with Ireland and we feel he brings real potential."

Read more at http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolv...eJLqc0r.99

(05-20-2016, 01:52 PM)35 YEARS A STAGGIE Wrote: Aaron McCarey,

The 24-year-old was released by Wolves last week after six-and-a-half years at the club.

And reports in Scotland suggest he is set to join the Staggies on a two-year contract.

Irishman McCarey played seven times for Wolves and one was one of six players released last week.

One of those six, Tommy Rowe, has signed for Doncaster Rovers on a three-year deal, while Liam McAlinden is believed to be weighing up a number of offers from League One and League Two clubs.

McCarey was third choice at Molineux behind Carl Ikeme and Arsenal loanee Emiliano Martinez.

Highland club Ross County were promoted to the SPL for the first time in their short league history in 2012 and won the Scottish League Cup in March this year, beating Hibernian 2-1 at Hampden Park.

County boss Jim McIntyre told Highland News: "We have agreed to bring Aaron to the club on a two-year contract, which will be finalised next week.

"He’s a keeper who has played at every level through the ages with Ireland and we feel he brings real potential."

Interesting that we've signed him on a contract and not on loan. That's a positive step forward - provided he's good  Wink

Reghan Tumilty
‏@regs_tumilty
Delighted to announce that i've recently signed for @RCFCStaggies Looking forward to the next chapter after the summer.

http://dufc.co/the-teams/development-squad/6871/

and TJE found this on Kenny van der Weg joining us:

Free Agent Kenny van der Weg trades NAC in Ross County

(05-20-2016, 01:52 PM)35 YEARS A STAGGIE Wrote: Aaron McCarey,

I wish the boy all,the best ,but I also wish we'd promoted a young Scottish keeper surely it's a kick in teeth for youth development coaches.tgere surely must be a young Scottish keeper out there in whole of Scotland. Needing development

(05-25-2016, 08:43 AM)StuartTaylor Wrote: and TJE found this on Kenny van der Weg joining us:

Free Agent Kenny van der Weg trades NAC in Ross County

Great name
"The heart of the club is the fan. The board and the chairman are custodians. The staff are transient. But the fan is there forever"

Roy Macgregor, April 2013

https://youtu.be/icxKroIdcsI

Seems a decent player. Bit of pace, strength and good touch.

We all know that if you have a you tube highlight video then you have made it big time!

Video shows a no nonsense powerful physical defender in the Kova mould who appears to like defending, not scared to tackle or put himself about. He looks well suited to the Scottish game as I doubt he'll get bullied and on the plus side not many crosses so room for the coaches to help him develop. He could be a good strong base sitting in behind a quick attack focused winger or behind a 433 & I can see Foster & him making good first choice full backs.
Wish list in a perfect world a young mobile ball playing Ctr Back who can free the midfield would complete the back line & reduce the need to strengthen the midfield (Or if Fraser can bulk up after his op ?).
1st team - wingers now the priority.
Dev Squad - some more youngsters with potential, anyone know where we need to strengthen the DevSquad.

This seems like deja vu all over again.  That "highlights reel" (how come they are always made by people with awful taste in music?) screams Uros Celcer to me.

It's probably worth noting that in several of those highlights, he clearly gives away what should have been penalties.  He also looks a bit on the slow side, carries a bit of excess weight and makes somewhat "agricultural" challenges .

In the positive column, he's a big unit and in some of the clips he's playing at right back, or at least centre half.  He's also played at a decent level, and as someone else said he has a great name.  And the wikipedia picture of him is.... odd.

[Image: Ali_B_-_13-09-2008_1.jpg]

I'd really like to hear some Dutch people rave about him before I get excited about this.  I want Oikonomou back.  A bit of culture at full back instead of yet another clogger.

I wonder if he's signing as cover, as a boyband singer, or as our first pick left back?

ETA: it seems he's something of a cult hero with Breda fans.  I'm going to ignore the highlights reel.

(05-25-2016, 10:38 AM)Savage Henry Wrote:  I'd really like to hear some Dutch people rave about him before I get excited about this.  I want Oikonomou back.  A bit of culture at full back instead of yet another clogger.

I wonder if he's signing as cover, as a boyband singer, or as our first pick left back?

ETA: it seems he's something of a cult hero with Breda fans.  I'm going to ignore the highlights reel.

I've been on one of their equivalents to OTB Bside rats, http://www.bsiderats.nl/kenny-is-weg/#comments, the most common word appears to be "Matige" which seems to translate as average. However they seem to like him as a hard working committed defender with a great attitude.

(05-25-2016, 10:38 AM)Savage Henry Wrote: This seems like deja vu all over again.  That "highlights reel" (how come they are always made by people with awful taste in music?) screams Uros Celcer to me.

It's probably worth noting that in several of those highlights, he clearly gives away what should have been penalties.  He also looks a bit on the slow side, carries a bit of excess weight and makes somewhat "agricultural" challenges .

In the positive column, he's a big unit and in some of the clips he's playing at right back, or at least centre half.  He's also played at a decent level, and as someone else said he has a great name.  And the wikipedia picture of him is.... odd.

[Image: Ali_B_-_13-09-2008_1.jpg]

I'd really like to hear some Dutch people rave about him before I get excited about this.  I want Oikonomou back.  A bit of culture at full back instead of yet another clogger.

I note your point on agricultural tackles ---- maybe he is an agricultural engineer savag. Seriously though
I agree with your post

(05-25-2016, 10:38 AM)Savage Henry Wrote: This seems like deja vu all over again.  That "highlights reel" (how come they are always made by people with awful taste in music?) screams Uros Celcer to me.
I'm thinking Micic 2.0 from that video.

(05-20-2016, 01:52 PM)I meeting tonight 35 YEARS A STAGGIE Wrote: Aaron McCarey,

Meeting tonight 7 .30 everyone with chance to have a say apart from on here

I noticed Bob Harris was released by Sheffield United, he was excellent at QoS a few seasons ago and has done really well in England.

Looks like we've got the left back area covered now though, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Hearts or St Johnstone signed him though.

Might be a bit old and grey now?

(05-26-2016, 06:21 PM)Strathglass Wrote: Might be a bit old and grey now?

Who whispered that?

Mind you we could do with someone to bomb up the wing and really test the opposition defences.

In the P and J today :-

Ross County midfielder Stewart Murdoch has emerged a signing target for Dundee United.
The 26 year-old, who joined the Staggies last summer from Fleetwood Town, is wanted by United manager Ray McKinnon.
The Tangerines are rebuilding their squad following relegation to the Championship last season and McKinnon wants Murdoch in as part of his central midfield.
The player has struggled to hold down a regular place in the County side due to the form of Jackson Irvine and Martin Woods and competition will increase next season following the close season signing of Christopher Routis from English League One side Bradford City.
County manager Jim McIntyre is willing to let Aberdeen born Murdoch leave Victoria Park and a move could be completed as early as next week.    Dodgy

I personally think we should try and keep Murdoch as I think he'll have a good season this year and will become an important part of the team!

What's other people's views on him?

Really liked Murdoch, he seemed the only midfielder willing to get in about other teams. Seemed pretty versatile and a good engine. Would be disappointed if he left tbh.

I would like to see Murdoch stay and fight to make his place as a holding midfield player, he played there a few times last season and showed some real potential.
He has a lot of pace, stamina and also works really hard for the team
The new season coming I have decided to NOT complain about any staff or player in County team
Season ticket and new top bought patiently waiting for season to start