Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
First Match of the Season St J
That is the first time I've seen Carey since he came back, in photos from holland etc he looked a tad heavier, but he looked pretty fit and sharp on Sunday! More so than some of the others like Kiss, Fenlon etc.....
Supporter Liaison Officer 

(08-12-2014, 07:14 AM)staggie2509 Wrote: That is the first time I've seen Carey since he came back, in photos from holland etc he looked a tad heavier, but he looked pretty fit and sharp on Sunday! More so than some of the others like Kiss, Fenlon etc.....

Arquan must be through the middle wins everything in the air, wasted out wide

Agree re Arquin - wasted out wide....would play both him and Jervis up front against Partick and replace Quinn with Balk!

I would agree with the above and bring in Cardle on the right. Keep Quinn for his experience at the moment. Fenlon not match fit and should be replaced with Saunders.

Presume de Leeuw is carrying an injury if not replace Jervis with him.

Not impressed by Dreesen maybe after a few games Frempah should replace him in the centre

Marco Antonio

(08-12-2014, 11:32 AM)marco antonio Wrote: I would agree with the above and bring in Cardle on the right. Keep Quinn for his experience at the moment. Fenlon not match fit and should be replaced with Saunders.

Not impressed by Dreesen maybe after a few games Frempah should replace him in the centre

Marco Antonio

Jarvis took his goal well plenty space around him,but for the 90 minutes did not impress not puting himself about slow slow slow

(08-12-2014, 01:14 PM)Ross shire buff Wrote:
(08-12-2014, 11:32 AM)marco antonio Wrote: I would agree with the above and bring in Cardle on the right. Keep Quinn for his experience at the moment. Fenlon not match fit and should be replaced with Saunders.

Marco Antonio

Jarvis took his goal well plenty space around him,but for the 90 minutes did not impress not puting himself about slow slow slow

Thought Rocco put in a decent shift his work rate was good, sorry don't fancy left back I prefer Saunders and poor Boyd is going to have a hard job with his centreback mate,but early days ,a month down the line should tell us where we are going, need to up the pace, Will go to Partick game wednesday. We will see how that goes a win hopefully

(08-12-2014, 11:16 AM)staggie2509 Wrote: Agree re Arquin - wasted out wide....

Although I see where you're coming from, because I'd like to see Arquin as the centre forward as much as anyone, he isn't wasted in a wider position.

He works terribly hard in winning the ball back and mostly keeps within the shape when defending. He has an impeccable first touch and with long-range passes tending to come from the left for him to hold up as an out ball, he is crucial to the ball sticking up front... especially when Jervis finds it so difficult to play with his back to goal.

He's going to pin the opposition left-back quite a lot and will have the beating of him - in terms of strength and probably pace - more often than not.

His cross field balls are terrific and his cross for Jervis was so good that Jordan Slew couldn't have missed it. Actually, when he plays as a centre-forward his final ball has been really below par and I wonder if he is better at working the cross better than a through ball because of the different angle - pure conjecture on my part.

Most importantly, he'll still get his share of goals. When considering that Carey is such a good crosser of the ball and provided more assists than anybody last season, he's the perfect guy for attacking the back post. Mannus saved superbly from one of those, while looking at this:

[Image: IllfatedMeagerAmberpenshell.gif]

Had Carey stood up the cross instead of shooting - which is what I certainly anticipated at the time - then Arquin would have been completely free. It wasn't the only time that he was unnoticed at the far post.

Partick Thistle have been really weak at defending the far post, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him score like he did in the last game of 2013-14.

I like the 4-1-4-1/4-3-3 shape that County are using, for a number of reasons, and I don't think putting Arquin on the right is the worst compromise when he is performing so well. My only concern is not being able to fit everyone I would like to see start i.e. I can't see where Melvin de Leeuw will play when Carey is on the left flank, but if Carey went centrally then that displaces one of Brittain or Kiss.

(08-12-2014, 01:42 PM)john@THHP Wrote:
(08-12-2014, 11:16 AM)staggie2509 Wrote: Agree re Arquin - wasted out wide....

Although I see where you're coming from, because I'd like to see Arquin as the centre forward as much as anyone, he isn't wasted in a wider position.

He works terribly hard in winning the ball back and mostly keeps within the shape when defending. He has an impeccable first touch and with long-range passes tending to come from the left for him to hold up as an out ball, he is crucial to the ball sticking up front... especially when Jervis finds it so difficult to play with his back to goal.

He's going to pin the opposition left-back quite a lot and will have the beating of him - in terms of strength and probably pace - more often than not.

His cross field balls are terrific and his cross for Jervis was so good that Jordan Slew couldn't have missed it. Actually, when he plays as a centre-forward his final ball has been really below par and I wonder if he is better at working the cross better than a through ball because of the different angle - pure conjecture on my part.

Most importantly, he'll still get his share of goals. When considering that Carey is such a good crosser of the ball and provided more assists than anybody last season, he's the perfect guy for attacking the back post. Mannus saved superbly from one of those, while looking at this:

[Image: IllfatedMeagerAmberpenshell.gif]

Had Carey stood up the cross instead of shooting - which is what I certainly anticipated at the time - then Arquin would have been completely free. It wasn't the only time that he was unnoticed at the far post.

Partick Thistle have really weak at defending the far post, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him score like he did in the last game of 2013-14.

I like the 4-1-4-1/4-3-3 shape that County are using, for a number of reasons. My only reservation is not being able to fit everyone I would like to see start i.e. I can't see where Melvin de Leeuw will play when Carey is on the left flank, but if Carey went centrally then that displaces one of Brittain or Kiss.

The word "wasted" was probably a bit harsh as I agree he worked hard on Sunday and his cross for Jervis was superb, he can also make runs into the box which he did a few times - I just like two strikers with one just behind the other as on Sunday I felt there was a gap between midfield and attack at times and felt Jervis was a bit exposed....still, it'll get better and we have major options now!

Also agree, that we may not get all our favourites on the park with the size of squad we have now, strong bench though and that should hopefully work in our favour if we need to change things....maybe just change things a bit quicker - I never like to see players get 10 minutes to try and make an impact - too much to do in short period of time makes for mistakes!

Haven't got the time to read all that has been posted above, just a few mins to spare before I head out.

I was at the game and I was surprised at the team sheet with Melvin and co. on the bench.

That said, I liked what I saw from Arquin, Boyd, Celcer, Carey and Brittain.

Jervis had a great goal on the end of a fine cross from the impressive Arquin's cross. Ultimately though he didn't cause the defence any other problems I saw.

Dreesen was looking uncomfortable and Rocco had a few bad touches. Reguero's punch before the first goal was poor. Fenlon looked okay at RB but he's no Cikos. Kiss looked rusty.

MDL looked hungry when he came on but to give Boyce only 3 minutes at the end was on the surface a bit poor, he was bought as a goalscorer so he needs time to do that, maybe he's not fit but surely can go for more then 3 mins?

Arquin was being driven back to get the ball and was out wide a lot which is good for us out there but he's not in the middle to receive them!

St J were clearly well organised and put in a good shift with MacLean leading their line well.

Nowhere near as disappointed as I was last year after the Thistle opener and hoping the right blend will soon emerge.

My brother tells me there's some chat about Songo'o surfaced again, any word on that anyone?
He's NOT the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

I warmed to Fenlon as the game went on. Looked decidedly dodgy defending at first, but was so willing to get forward that I soon forgave him. If it doesn't work out we still have Saunders to slot in there.

(08-12-2014, 08:13 PM)Wicky Wrote: If it doesn't work out we still have Saunders to slot in there.

Now that's a worry
Gudgie67 aka Gadgie67

Saunders injured according to STV.

Saunders has had some time of it with injuries.....they really need to work on this boy to strengthen him up a bit....

(08-12-2014, 09:34 PM)staggie2509 Wrote: Saunders has had some time of it with injuries.....they really need to work on this boy to strengthen him up a bit....

I was really surprised that he got another year unfortunately a great prospect who's career has been ruined by injury.

Seems a passable centre half but the guy is not a right back.
Gudgie67 aka Gadgie67

(08-13-2014, 06:47 AM)gudgie67 Wrote:
(08-12-2014, 09:34 PM)staggie2509 Wrote: Saunders has had some time of it with injuries.....they really need to work on this boy to strengthen him up a bit....

I was really surprised that he got another year unfortunately a great prospect who's career has been ruined by injury.

Seems a passable centre half but the guy is not a right back.

I think you're assessment of him at right back is fairly harsh, how often have you seen him play there? I don't think he's going to be anybody's first choice right back, but from what i can see he's more than adequate cover

He hasn't played enough for us to form an opinion to be honest.
He was taken to the cleaners in the 4-0 St Johnstone defeat last season, but the whole team & system was dreadful that day.
He just seems to have had a rotten spell of luck, hopefully this is just a minor knock.

Thing is, this boy was rated very highly when he arrived at The GES - has he not had a Scotland cap - was really hoping he'd fire on at County, but he seems plagued by injuries - maybe the new Physio that has joined from Kilmarnock will make a difference and improve his fitness?

Does anyone know the nature of his injury? Is he suffering from the same recurring injury or a string of different ones? I think the latter would be more of a concern personally