Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
First Match of the Season St J
Disappointing turnout for our first home game, possibly the weather put people off and a few recovering from Balladrum.....
Supporter Liaison Officer 

(08-10-2014, 08:15 PM)Boff Wrote: Not sure about Quinn playing where he did I would rather have seen Balke there to bolster the defence.

Quinn gave away the ball needlessly a couple of times, which were real momentum-killers. However, you can't fault him for his defending: he read the game to make interceptions exceptionally well.

Having said that, the team could have been quicker with the switch in play and it will be good to see Balk tried there eventually.

Jervis's header was great and it makes me eat my words a little, but only a little. It was served on a plate from a superb cross. He's clearly a really good finisher but the rest of his game is lacking.

I was so frustrated by him today. He jumps like Tore Andre Flo or Dyron Daal, the tallest player on the pitch who ducks out of the challenge. I just can't fathom how a player developed on the UK as tall as he is doesn't know how to challenge for a header or play with his back to goal. Jervis held the ball up better when he had it at his feet, as the second half wore on, but nowhere near often enough to allow the ball to stick up front.

It pained me to see de Leeuw on the bench when Jervis was up front.

(08-10-2014, 08:26 PM)john@THHP Wrote:
(08-10-2014, 08:15 PM)Boff Wrote: Not sure about Quinn playing where he did I would rather have seen Balke there to bolster the defence.

Quinn gave away the ball needlessly a couple of times, which were real momentum-killers. However, you can't fault him for his defending: he read the game to make interceptions exceptionally well.

Having said that, the team could have been quicker with the switch in play and it will be good to see Balk tried there eventually.

Jervis's header was great and it makes me eat my words a little, but only a little. It was served on a plate from a superb cross. He's clearly a really good finisher but the rest of his game is lacking.

I was so frustrated by him today. He jumps like Tore Andre Flo or Dyron Daal, the tallest player on the pitch who ducks out of the challenge. I just can't fathom how a player developed on the UK as tall as he is doesn't know how to challenge for a header or play with his back to goal. Jervis held the ball up better when he had it at his feet, as the second half wore on, but nowhere near often enough to allow the ball to stick up front.

It pained me to see de Leeuw on the bench when Jervis was up front.

Thought we played okay and worked hard.

Agree re Jervis took the goal well but balls to his head clearly don't work. Personally I'd rather see Arquin up front thought he was immense and really worked for the team and his cross was just immense. Carey as others have said was fantastic some really good balls in but not always someone on the end of them. I personally really think as I've said Arquin would give that bit extra but that said Jervis took his chance really well which is really what I want from a striker.

I'm not so downbeat as others (Ive moved along the west stand abit this year and some of the abuse from our own fans is out of order) we played okay and I think more is to come. Yoga's up from MDL in behind (or Carey) and cradle and think things could be okay. St Johnstone are a good side even without May and have had competitive matches. I don't like to lose but want to focus on the positives and cheer my team on.

[quote='Brora Boy' pid='39606' dateline='1407698145']
I am very encouraged. We were handed a tricky start against a team who, the sale of Stevie May apart, have more or less the same squad as last season whereas many of our newbies are still bedding in.

They have been top six for the last few seasons, they are Scottish Cup holders and have four European matches under their belt whereas this is our first competitive match since May yet we matched them and but for defensive lapses could easily have taken at least a point.

Can anyone really ask for much more ?

A win ! and the 3 points please!
Immoral Cow Den Bender

I've also moved closer to the middle of the west stand and could also hear some strange shouts yesterday which made me turn round and look at the people behind me, just behind the dugout in the area near the black seats, seems to be some abuse coming from there that isn't warranted in our first competitive game!

I have a much better view of the game now and thought overall we did pretty well give. The number of new recruits and it was our first competitive game against a side who have already had around four competitive matches - we'll be alright!

Having watched the highlights, after initially thinking Dreeson was to blame for the first one, Requero must have shouted for the ball because Dreeson stopped jumping. It was a flap by the keeper that caused the bother. An innocuous ball back in by St J and a slip from Scotty. The second was Kiss at fault. Again watching I thought Celcer, who I think showed some good potential, had made the mistake and not marked the runner. Kiss went for the ball and missed it.

I use the word blame lightly. Poor goals to lose but elements of luck for the forwards who scored. I dont think it is time to gel that needs to happen. Some players have to get used to the pace and style of the game up here. And they will get used to it and get better and better.

I am disappointed not doom and gloom after yesterdays game. I would say though that I think Jordi Balke playing instead of Rocco in that holding position would have been better. Please excuse my spelling of names I cant be bothered to check them out fiirst Smile

Regueros 'flap' was actually him being fouled. St J player had his arm up and impeded his punch, I never noticed it until the replay when the commentator mentioned it. No blame on Reguero in my opinion just another refereeing mistake.

Just on that, thought the referee was poor for both sides. He stopped the flow of the game pulling it back for niggling fouls which a better ref would have allowed to go. Also missed the penalty with Scobbie playing leap frog in the box.

Just watched the highlights on YouTube (and there's finally HD quality).

Difficult to blame Reguero for the first goal. A poor punch but Mackay somehow managed to find O'Halloran despite the presence of several defenders - he still had a lot to do and it was a good finish. Not convinced Reguero was fouled.

The second goal was unfortunate. Kiss misses his header but McLean was left unmarked.

Jervis was fouled by Scobbie. Anywhere else on the pitch and that's a free-kick.

Carey looked very impressive.

County look a lot better than this time last season. I'm optimistic.

Think DA should make things easy for himself. Start with your best keeper which is Brown. Reguero cost us points today. Thank goodness he didn't have much to do as pointed out by Ed. Fenlon looks a bit stretched at this level and Dreesen simply has to improve. Quinn struggling and don't know what to make of Jervis. Maybe Boyce should have come on earlier. Kiss going down too easy to many times. Carey very good yesterday and now we need some consistency from him. I'd expect to see changes on Wednesday from a losing home team. The subs bench looked strong so why not make good use of it at the earliest opportunity.
We'll have a better idea where we are by Sunday. No pressure!

(08-11-2014, 11:21 AM)USSR Tycoon Wrote: Think DA should make things easy for himself. Start with your best keeper which is Brown. Reguero cost us points today. Thank goodness he didn't have much to do as pointed out by Ed. Fenlon looks a bit stretched at this level and Dreesen simply has to improve. Quinn struggling and don't know what to make of Jervis. Maybe Boyce should have come on earlier. Kiss going down too easy to many times. Carey very good yesterday and now we need some consistency from him. I'd expect to see changes on Wednesday from a losing home team. The subs bench looked strong so why not make good use of it at the earliest opportunity.
We'll have a better idea where we are by Sunday. No pressure!

A bit harsh on Reguero, he was fouled for the first goal and the second was down to the defence.

It was pretty much what I expected to be honest, I certainly wasn't confident of getting a win.
We were always going to have 4/5/6 players making debuts, against a strong SJ side.
We might have taken a point though.
Haven't seen the highlights yet but both goals looked avoidable.
Carey was my motm.
Jervis, goal apart is terrible in the air, hardly challenged for high balls despite being taller than his opponent. I look forward to a fully-fit Boyce.
Arquin on the right, where he has played in most of the pres-season games, he certainly whips in some great crosses, but I would still rather him through the middle.

Rumours of us in talks with Songo'o would be tremendous if true.

Certainly far better than we were this time last season.

St Johnstone stayed in the National Hotel on Saturday night, wtf? It's 2hrs up the road!

(08-11-2014, 12:14 PM)StuartTaylor Wrote: St Johnstone stayed in the National Hotel on Saturday night, wtf? It's 2hrs up the road!

Never mind the travel time, wtf?

There's an insightful quote from Graham Carey in today's P&J on Jake Jervis:

Quote:It’s great to have someone like Jake up front as he doesn’t try to get involved too much in the play.

He likes to score goals and he’s going to do that if he keeps getting in the box.

His movement in the box is great, so if we keep supplying him he’ll hopefully get many more for us.

I've probably been his loudest critic on here, so it's good to see it from a team-mate's perspective.

Maybe I'm so used to Slew doing everything to rough up a defender, without actually scoring, that I don't know how to react when there is now a forward who isn't as proactive but who is quite clearly a capable goalscorer.

Either that or Carey is just being necessarily diplomatic about his new team-mate.

In either case I would lay off him if he could play with his back to goal.

I thought Jake had a great game yesterday and if not for an amazing save this debate wouldn't be happening. Watched him closely in the first half and I'm sure the lumping up tactics may have been a shock to him. We have Yoann there to be the hold up player and tbf the conditions did not play to anyone being able to dead trap every ball.
We have a tendency on here to criticise our forwards more than any other position and fear we're going to go down the Morrow/Mustafi condemnation before the boy gets a chance.
I for one, thought we played well yesterday against a team that were playing their fifth competitive game of the season. With the exception of the midfield being overrun a little too often, thought we had most of the play. This time last year, we had nothing so encouraging after the 3-0 humpimg by Partick, so come on everyone, heads up!!

St J in the National - priceless!!!

(08-11-2014, 12:14 PM)StuartTaylor Wrote: It was pretty much what I expected to be honest, I certainly wasn't confident of getting a win.
We were always going to have 4/5/6 players making debuts, against a strong SJ side.
Carey was my motm.
Jervis, goal apart is terrible in the air, hardly challenged for high balls despite being taller than his opponent. I look forward to a fully-fit Boyce.
Arquin on the right, where he has played in most of the pres-season games, he certainly whips in some great crosses, but I would still rather him through the middle.

St Johnstone stayed in the National Hotel on Saturday night, wtf? It's 2hrs up the road!

If we get Songo'o I'll explode!!!

I thought it was a good work out from the boys yestrday only 2 things for me 1 Quinn starting ahead of De Leeuw and 2 Arquin playing on the wing I would have game with 4-4-2 I think we have a better squad than last year

In the first half, apart from Carey who looked really dangerous, we didn't have much to offer. - It was like sitting in a morgue and I swear I heard a pin drop in the West Stand from the East Stand Extension. St J looked like a team and we didn't. Their second goal changed the game for us and we scored a really good goal - although I think Jervis's goal was the only time he managed to get his head on the ball all game :-) So the rest of the game gave me a lot more optimism for the season. We do have the players who can get us into the top half of the table. I don't like being negative but Adam's comments are always priceless "We controlled the game... We deserved to at least get a draw.. We passed the ball magnificently.." No we didn't, but there does seem to be a lot of potential in the team.

(08-11-2014, 12:14 PM)StuartTaylor Wrote: It was pretty much what I expected to be honest, I certainly wasn't confident of getting a win.
Carey was my motm.

Have to agree re Arquin he really worked hard and the cross superb but I'd much rather see him through the middle. He is strong and hard working and we know he can get us goals.

(08-06-2014, 10:08 PM)staggie2509 Wrote: I know Saunders isn't a fullback - but Fenlon for me is a bit short on fitness as is Carey and Kiss, may be the following that starts:

Reguero

Saunders
Boyd
Dreesen
Celcer

Balk

De Leeuw
Brittain
Quinn
Cardle

Arquin

Subs: Kiss, Carey, Jervis, Boyce, Fenlon, Maatsen, Brown

Carey looked very very fit ,and his training spell at Killie shone he along with Arquan and body pick of the bunch, Arquan wasted out wide,this guy wins everything in the air,we deserved a draw. Centreback not fit LB not fit captain does not look fit but we look like we can move on. Certainly did not deserve to lose

Brick 
Arquin's touch and composure were brilliant, and for me he maybe even slightly edged Carey for MOTM.

No surprise that Defending is an area with room for improvement but for the first competitive match I'm not too concerned.

I thought Mel was just a bit too keen when finally allowed on, but he is still going to be excellent for us this season.

Looking forward to seeing more of Cardle in action - great footwork and pace.

Yours sincerely,
Happy Clapper. Staggie.
Malky Mackay - he's our new manager