Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
First Match of the Season St J
Hope you have a good season and good luck today

Booooo

Reasonable result. First goal a bit of a mess, we missed chances. Del trying options, not all worked, onwards and upwards.

Positives can be taken from that match, we pretty much dominated possession in the first half. The two goals we conceded could easily have been avoided. A much better start than last year.

(08-10-2014, 06:12 PM)staggie52 Wrote: Reasonable result. First goal a bit of a mess, we missed chances. Del trying options, not all worked, onwards and upwards.

I don't think you can describe it as reasonable. A defeat is never a good result despite the circumstances.

What was the overall impression from those that were at the game.

I was suprised that Melvin didn't start.
No sacrifice no victory 

(08-10-2014, 06:42 PM)Slatefordstag Wrote:
(08-10-2014, 06:12 PM)staggie52 Wrote: Reasonable result. First goal a bit of a mess, we missed chances. Del trying options, not all worked, onwards and upwards.

I don't think you can describe it as reasonable. A defeat is never a good result despite the circumstances.

I was at the game and I thought it was reasonable, didn't mention good. I was surprised Melvin didn't start but it was clear that Del is trying things out and not focussing on one game. It was reasonable because we competed well with a top six side, created as much as them, they got luck in the first goal, we didn't with much the same chances. Some good stuff, some not so good, fussy ref, no luck, reasonable.

(08-10-2014, 06:42 PM)Slatefordstag Wrote:

Yes, Melvin did not look too happy in the pre match warm up. I thought we played quite well and were as good as St Johnstone but as usual thought we were a bit short in mid-field. I am sorry but Rocco is not premiership class. Too many stray passes and really not good enough. Kiss has some nice touches but again wasteful with his passes at times. Ritchie not really any better but Carey was immense. Thought defence did ok but Dreesen needs to learn tom keep his hands off forwards. Too many times he was caught all over the back of their forwards and his passing out of defence was awful. Jervis took his goal well and Arquinn was all over the field trying to make things happen. Fenlon and Celcer did ok . Much to look forward to in my opinion but we were the better team in the second half and it took a deflected goal to beat us.

Very positive start, some good play, bring on the next game, think we were a wee bit unlucky with the ref! Smile

Not great. Keeper entirely to blame for first goal (and it will happen time and time again). Toni definitely style over substance.

Willing to give him a proper chance but on that showing easy to see why Jimmy Fenlon was found playing pub league in England. Quinn could not keep the ball or give it to a teammate. Carey created lots but no one ever on the end.

Most bizarre was playing Arquin wide right. Why? His power through the middle was badly missed.

Poor crowd today, first game of the Season I expected around 4,000

Thought we played some decent football... Most notably working some good openings down both wings!
IMO Dreesen was awful today, gave the ball away too many times and gave away pointless free-kicks when going up for the ball!
As mentioned before, Quinn is not good enough and we looked much better when Carey went into the middle of the park!

Positives-Well worked goal. Kiss won the ball at almost the half way line and with no options he managed to hold on to it until Arquin ran forward and gave him the chance to release it. A powerful run down the wing and a perfectly weighted cross by him in to the box saw Jake head the ball home.
I thought Carey looked dangerous every time he got on the ball, he made some great runs and deserved the MotM award.
Great tackle in the box by Boyd in the first half, the SJ player would have scored had he not got that right.
The SJ keeper deserves a mention for his saves in the first half, kept SJ in it.
Aguero didn't have much to do.
Didn't we lose 5-0 to SJ at the start of last season? we did lose today but we looked far better than we did then.
Boyce looks like he will be a handful for defenders.

Onwards and upwards.
WDDDWWWWWWWWWDDDWDDDWWWWDWWDWD
CHAMPS
WWDWWDDDWDD
40 UNBEATEN

(08-10-2014, 06:14 PM)Pete The Jakey Wrote: Positives can be taken from that match, we pretty much dominated possession in the first half. The two goals we conceded could easily have been avoided. A much better start than last year.

Pretty much this^^^.

Would have been nice to have won of course, but not going to lose too much sleep over that result.

Looking over the team today I wouldnt say there were any glaring weaknesses. There was actually (for half a brand new team) some nice interplay at times today, and I think that once the team really starts to click we will be Ok.

Carey was different class today! Where did he do pre-season? Looked sharp and fit.

Saints young team exceled themselves again on the streets, I sawDodgy

Overal I'm not too bothered about that result, we easily have drawn or gone on to win that match if a bit more luck had gone our way ref wise. It was a good workout for the guys and it's obvious DA still isn't 100% sure on the formation or starting eleven!

It was a tough opener against a team who are a bit sharper than us due to them having already been involved in competitive action in Europe. They started to get tired in the second half, but in first half they were sharper and more determined to get the ball than us. Felt they kept the ball better than us, we are still giving the ball away far too much in midfield for my liking - we need someone to dictate play in that area.

Reasonably happy with the performances and thought most players did well, Roco really does need to work harder at keeping the ball and not give it away cheaply to the opposition - he does look a bit suspect at this level - but Ritchie wasn't much better today.
Supporter Liaison Officer 

Thought Carey was brilliant today looked the sharpest fittest we have seen his set piece deliveries where very good, Jervis took his goal well and put in a shift defending. Didn't win much against experienced back line, but overall came away feeling positive for season and what a double save from Mannus save of season already?

Anyone else see Mr Vigurs at the game today?
WDDDWWWWWWWWWDDDWDDDWWWWDWWDWD
CHAMPS
WWDWWDDDWDD
40 UNBEATEN

His Mrs is from Dingwall so wouldn't be too suprised

I believe Carey did his pre-season with Kilmarnock, he looked pretty sharp....it can only get better for this team as they knit together.
Supporter Liaison Officer 

Some good stuff today. Not too bothered (mr pessimistic this time last year has changed). Not sure the manger knows the best team yet and St J were having their 5th competitive match. Not sure about Quinn playing where he did I would rather have seen Balke there to bolster the defence. As others have said some real positives today but the defence were awful in the first half. 2 terrible goals to lose. Onwards and upwards I am sure we will be ok.

I am very encouraged. We were handed a tricky start against a team who, the sale of Stevie May apart, have more or less the same squad as last season whereas many of our newbies are still bedding in.

They have been top six for the last few seasons, they are Scottish Cup holders and have four European matches under their belt whereas this is our first competitive match since May yet we matched them and but for defensive lapses could easily have taken at least a point.

Can anyone really ask for much more ?