Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Furlough the out of contract players???
I disagree with uncle Roy regarding this....

https://amp.sportsmole.co.uk/football/ay...00226.html

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/foot...r-22074588

The players are no different from anyone else and have mortgages and bills to pay. The furlough scheme is there to help employees through this pandemic so use it!!!!
I've also heard he paid other other employees within his business' rather than furloughing them.
I know he's a ruthless businessman but it's easy to dislike using the system and claim the higher moral ground when you're a multi millionaire!

(05-24-2020, 08:19 AM)jamiepscot Wrote: I disagree with uncle Roy regarding this....

https://amp.sportsmole.co.uk/football/ay...00226.html

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/foot...r-22074588

The players are no different from anyone else and have mortgages and bills to pay. The furlough scheme is there to help employees through this pandemic so use it!!!!
Unless you are married to a multi millionaire! Get a grip Amy! Mouthing off against the chairman when the current situation will have little financial effect if any at all for you or your spouse.

Just clarifying that I'm definitely Jamie and not Amy!

In addition, Foster isn't the only player who this decision will have an effect on.

(05-25-2020, 08:10 PM)jamiepscot Wrote: Just clarifying that I'm definitely Jamie and not Amy!

In addition, Foster isn't the only player who this decision will have an effect on.
Foster said just that. I had hoped we gave him another year but heyho what do i know. Foster was realistic on his own situation. Hes got money, nearing the end of a long football career and is married to a fairly wealthy individual. I think he will be fine but think he was more worried about others. I take it these might be the 10 development squad and mcmanus whom are younger with less financial reserves.
if other teams managed it i think we should have done as well, as we look after our County community family

I can't help but feel yesterday was a very sad day.
Best of luck for these guys going forward, worrying and stressful times for them and their families.

(05-26-2020, 12:14 AM)Deas_pie_staggie Wrote: Foster said just that. I had hoped we gave him another year but heyho what do i know. Foster was realistic on his own situation. Hes got money, nearing the end of a long football career and is married to a fairly wealthy individual. I think he will be fine but think he was more worried about others. I take it these might be the 10 development squad and mcmanus whom are younger with less financial reserves.
if other teams managed it i think we should have done as well, as we look after our County community family

Definitely what Foster was saying.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/184...l-careers/

(05-25-2020, 07:01 PM)USSR Tycoon Wrote: Unless you are married to a multi millionaire! Get a grip Amy! Mouthing off against the chairman when the current situation will have little financial effect if any at all for you or your spouse.

[Image: the-point-you-head-27319162.png]

Extraordinary circumstances, and perhaps there are worse financial announcements coming soon, but the news of all those reserve players binned is sad.
Is there any point to our Youth system? 
How many from the Reserve League winning team, and those since, were given a decent chance? For the amount of finance we (Roy) plough into it, the return is surely concerning. 
With a reduced budget and squad size next season I thought maybe a couple of them would have been kept on.
Wallace, MacBeath, Kelly, none of them good enough to take a chance on? Not to mention Ross MacIver. 
Lets see where they end up (yes that's my worry too).

Best of luck to them all.

The Furlough System is fairly divisive but from my interpretation from what i am reading and hearing is there are two key factors:
1- Furlough depends on cash flow (as players have to paid by the club before the club then has to go and reclaim the money from the government) and with clubs not having the gate and hospitality monies there will be a greater emphasis on protecting existing cash in the bank. 
2- The club also still has to pay the PAYE, National Ins, etc of all members of furlough which across the club would probably be a fair amount!! Plus your only supposed to keep people on where there is a guaranteed job at the end if not you may have to pay back what is claimed.

Sportsound have called out Roy at least twice over the past couple of weeks, asking for more info on the "advice from HMRC" that he mentioned. Several other clubs don't seem to have had the same advice.

I read reports yesterday that any club looking to take players back in for training once it's permitted again (next week i think) will have to UN-furlough them. Roy has done the correct thing in this matter imo. Although I'd wish Fergiewell had chosen to keep Kelly and Foster.

It looks like teams thought they could have furloughed players in training. Not the case. HMRC have stated this, as training is classed as working.

tattiedave Wrote:It looks like teams thought they could have furloughed players in training. Not the case. HMRC have stated this, as training is classed as working.
In the long run, if the players being let go were players you had no intention of offering new contracts to, then it's probably right to release them and allow them to go and find new clubs - most of them will not be short of offers..
Supporter Liaison Officer 

(06-12-2020, 08:49 AM)staggie2509 Wrote: In the long run, if the players being let go were players you had no intention of offering new contracts to, then it's probably right to release them and allow them to go and find new clubs - most of them will not be short of offers..
I doubt that's true of the youth players.........of which there were 12!

(06-12-2020, 08:49 AM)staggie2509 Wrote: In the long run, if the players being let go were players you had no intention of offering new contracts to, then it's probably right to release them and allow them to go and find new clubs - most of them will not be short of offers..

This topic has been probably been done to death over on Twitter, but just two quick points:

* There would be nothing to stop them trying to secure contracts elsewhere while still on furlough. They'd have plenty time for it.

* And most of them will not be short of offers? We released 5 first team players and 10 reserves. As far as I'm aware, none of them are yet to sign for anyone. The young players, in particular, are going to find it really difficult to get another club.

Forfinn Wrote:This topic has been probably been done to death over on Twitter, but just two quick points:

* There would be nothing to stop them trying to secure contracts elsewhere while still on furlough. They'd have plenty time for it.

* And most of them will not be short of offers? We released 5 first team players and 10 reserves. As far as I'm aware, none of them are yet to sign for anyone. The young players, in particular, are going to find it really difficult to get another club.
I'm not in disagreement - I was referring to the first team players with my comment and would fully expect to see most of them find new clubs given their experience. 

I am as sad as anyone to see these guys go - but what I'm thinking is would the club have viewed the situation as being dishonest to keep them hanging on furlough as County players thinking they might have been offered new contracts if that wasn't going to be the case?

Possibly Roy had a discussion with the management team asking who they were genuinely going to retain and maybe based on that they felt it was best to be up front with the guys in question as hard as that may seem - who knows.

With regards to the young players - I'm always disapointed to see our youth being let go - we have seen very few come through the ranks which is disapointing - only a few have gone onto other clubs for fees. I'm sure this is something that doesn't sit well with those in charge.

It's a dreadful time for lots of folk - there's  been a drastic cut in staff at the club along with playing staff - so the financial impact on the club is stark.
Supporter Liaison Officer