Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
OverTheWeb - Mondays & Thursdays 8pm-9pm
Photo 
The current situation and it's resultant social isolation will already be having it's effect on many.

To help with this, we're setting up a twice-a-week 1 hour Google Hangout.

Many of you may not know what this means, so let me elaborate a little (some more tech-savvy folk might be able to talk you through the process a little easier).

Google Hangouts is a free to use voice & webcam conferencing facility, obviously provided by Google. All you need, is a GMail / Google Account and you can use either the app version, or the web-based version: https://hangouts.google.com/

I'll admit, it's a little niggly at first to set up for some things. If you want to chat to someone new for example, you need to add them as a contact first and they have to accept. But once it's up and running, it's pretty straight forward. You can use it with or without a webcam, it's up to you.

"Great!", I hear you say, "But who am I going to talk to?"

Well, that's where we all come in.

There are plenty of people in here I'm sure who would appreciate getting to waffle on about County for days on end. But for a start, why not try joining us Mondays & Thursdays, 8pm-9pm? I should hopefully be there, and our very own SLO - Kenny, has volunteered to take part in the first few to help it take off too.

Treat it like your own virtual pub. I wasn't intending on launching this today, I was aiming for Thursday the 26th in order to give people time to sign up and get a feel for it. But if you want to get a jump on this, feel free to private message me your google address and I should be able to add you to the chat ready to go. You can also e-mail it to me at overthebridge.info@gmail.com - Otherwise, you should be able to join using the link at the bottom of this post.

If you're in there and no-one has kicked off the video/voice feature yet, just click on the little Video icon at the top of the chat window and it'll launch itself. Anyone who joins will go straight into it.

As a friendly reminder though, there's a Mic icon and Video icon on your own picture too, which allows you to turn off your webcam or mute your mic if you're in the middle of something else!

Hopefully this post makes sense to everyone, and hopefully this leads to something which can help aid anyone suffering from social isolation.

See you soon Staggies

https://hangouts.google.com/group/Xjrgpr3UWYvGcFor7
.: Ours, is the Fury :.

I'll see what I can do, working from home, no gym, no County and no cinema means I have a lot of time on my hands.

I haven't used Google Hangouts in ages, though.
Quote:God bless the Stag Men and Children.