Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Must win wednesday
Hearts at home on Wednesday I would have expected us to win this one with out to much bother but after watching the game on Saturday and then the highlights of the hearts game I am not so sure anymore Hearts look to be improving over the last few games where as we have not
next three games Celtic- Rangers- Kilmarnock all away not a lot of hope for points there
the only saving grace is Hearts Hamilton and St Mirran all have similar hard games we need 3 points on Wednesday

county AML Wrote:Hearts at home on Wednesday I would have expected us to win this one with out to much bother but after watching the game on Saturday and then the highlights of the hearts game I am not so sure anymore Hearts look to be improving over the last few games where as we have not
next three games Celtic- Rangers- Kilmarnock all away not a lot of hope for points there
the only saving grace is Hearts Hamilton and St Mirran all have similar hard games we need 3 points on Wednesday

county AML you understate the necessity of a win on Wednesday.  Losing this game is not an option.  Everyone has to turn up for this game and get stuck in.  It is winnable.  It will all depend on the attitude of which players are on the pitch and the level of support the fans give them.

Our record against Hearts is pretty rubbish, only two wins ever.

A massive, massive game on Wednesday. One I'm not sure if I can make due to work but I'll sure as hell try to go.
Quote:God bless the Stag Men and Children.

(01-20-2020, 02:48 PM)the reaper Wrote: county AML you understate the necessity of a win on Wednesday.  Losing this game is not an option.  Everyone has to turn up for this game and get stuck in.  It is winnable.  It will all depend on the attitude of which players are on the pitch and the level of support the fans give them.
apologies I thought the thread heading said it all however you are correct everything depends on which county turns up on Wednesday I think a lot of our problems stem from the fact we give every team to much respect we seem to sit deep and try to hit on the break our mind set should be we can beat any one and go out and have a go at whoever we are playing I very much doubt this will be case on Wednesday I suspect it will be lets not lose first we will all know when we see the team selection

We were unlucky (and a missed penalty) away from taking all three points against Hearts in August. I don't think we have improved much since then, and I reckon Hearts will come out firing after this winter break. Risky game that I'm not convinced we will win, even less convinced of a clean sheet!

Hearts are going to be a different team now that presses high and fast. They’ve only just started implementing this so fitness will play a part, height only just adopted this I doubt their fitness will be up enough to last so if we hold out until the 2nd half I think we’ll have a chance when they tire. Fontaine being out gives me hope of a more solid defence. Tillson and Donaldson deserve their starts agains so I’d go with a 4-2-3-1 Baxter foster Watson Donaldson Kelly then Tillson and Spence holding deep midfield first half. Mullin Vigurs spittal and Graham up top.

Looking at that we really need to bring in some wingers for cover, Glenn Middleton or Tom Walsh rumours still doing the rounds?

(01-21-2020, 01:16 AM)Ullapool Staggie Wrote: Looking at that we really need to bring in some wingers for cover, Glenn Middleton or Tom Walsh rumours still doing the rounds?

Read somewhere that Middleton was expected to undergo surgery for injury recently, could have put the brakes on that one.

(01-21-2020, 01:25 AM)NVACA Wrote: Read somewhere that Middleton was expected to undergo surgery for injury recently, could have put the brakes on that one.
 Regarding Middleton from The Record:

"But the Scotland U21 man has suffered a setback after injuring his foot in a reserve game against Motherwell on Monday.

The Ibrox club are now awaiting the results of a scan to assess the damage."

(01-21-2020, 01:16 AM)Ullapool Staggie Wrote: Graham up top.

Graham is suspended tomorrow night
"The heart of the club is the fan. The board and the chairman are custodians. The staff are transient. But the fan is there forever"

Roy Macgregor, April 2013

Tactics

As already alluded to by Ullapool Staggie, Hearts manager Stendel has been working with his players over the break to implement a high energy / pressing style of football.

That is known as the “gegenpress”. It is used to good effect by several top sides including Liverpool and Man. City. The basic philosophy is that when not in possession - or when possession is lost - the aim is to get the ball back very quickly, often within a few seconds, by counter pressing and chasing the opposition. That either results in winning possession back directly or by forcing the opposition into mistakes, misplaced passes or the ball being punted without direction.

The same approach needs a high defensive line and the team playing as a complete unit. That involves the more advanced players tracking back quickly throughout the game to help the team out.  Conversely it also involves the centre backs driving forward with the ball - when space is available - and each full back speedily getting into wide, advanced positions on each flank.  In the case of Liverpool, these tactics enable them to play with a front three throughout a game, with their goal assists often provided by the full backs - think of the way that Andy Robertson uses that style of play.  At other times, the more advanced players like Salah often win the ball back in front of his team’s defensive 18 yard box, before counter attacking at speed.  Whilst Hearts are miles away from a direct comparison with the quality that Liverpool have, the basic footballing philosophy that Stendel is trying to instil in his players is the same.

Hearts got rid of their most experienced international player (Whelan) recently.  They have also told their captain (Berra) that he is free to find another club.  The reasoning being that despite their considerable experience, both players are older and were not considered either suitable or capable of adapting to Stendel’s counter pressing style of play.  Some of their younger players have also been recalled from loan due to their superior energy / fitness levels, their enthusiasm and their willingness / capability to adapt to Stendel’s preferred style of play.

My fear for tonight is that if County don’t change their default tactics and approach, we could be looking at a Hearts win by two or three goals.  The usual County tactic this season - when possession is lost - is an emphasis on keeping shape in banks of four behind the ball, whilst standing off the opposition with next to no counter pressing.

The only time I have seen County using a “gegenpress” style of football this season was during the last quarter of the game against Motherwell at Fir Park in September.  That involved both tiring central midfielders (Henderson and Paton) being directly replaced in central midfield by Chalmers and Spittal mid-way through the second half.  Striker Brian Graham was also introduced for Grivosti (the latter also played in midfield that day).

So perhaps the key to matching Heart’s new footballing philosophy is for the starting County central midfielders to play a high energy, counter pressing game, and when they have ran out of steam (during the second half) to directly replace them in the same positions

The central defenders also need to be more vocal by organising the defence into a higher line and push up the park when in space, before releasing the ball into a more advanced area.  That did not happen at all against Ayr on Saturday with Fontaine being the culprit.  No organisation of the defence, no shouting and releasing the ball far too early with loads of space in front of him rather than taking the ball further forward before releasing it.   I also felt that throughout the team on Saturday, County’s passing game was far too slow, particularly in the second half. 

There was also the question, raised by more than a few in the away support as to why - what many consider to be County’s best defender, myself included (Watson) – was once again on the bench against Ayr and was not used.

Just my thoughts......

Why so small?

Ullapool Staggie Wrote:Heard are going to be a different team now that presses high and fast. They’ve only just started implementing this so fitness will play a part, height only just adopted this I doubt their fitness will be up enough to last so if we hold out until the 2nd half I think we’ll have a chance when they tire. Fontaine being out gives me hope of a more solid defence. Tillson and Donaldson deserve their starts agains so I’d go with a 4-2-3-1 Baxter foster Watson Donaldson Kelly then Tillson and Spence holding deep midfield first half. Mullin Vigurs spittal and Graham up top.

Looking at that we really need to bring in some wingers for cover, Glenn Middleton or Tom Walsh rumours still doing the rounds?
seems  strange that we now decide to press high and fast considering one of the fastest players we ever had has just returned to his parent club

(01-22-2020, 02:12 PM)frankthetank Wrote: Why so small?

Fixed the text. Fryish had pinged me at lunchtime so I took a look and fixed it.

Livi did a similar pressing job on us in Dingwall and we absolutely capitulated.

Can't make this tonight due to work now which sucks.

(01-22-2020, 02:39 PM)donaldo Wrote: Fixed the text. Fryish had pinged me at lunchtime so I took a look and fixed it.

Good man - cheers for the help with the gremlins I have had  in the last few days.

(01-22-2020, 02:19 PM)county AML Wrote: seems  strange that we now decide to press high and fast considering one of the fastest players we ever had has just returned to his parent club

Good point.  However, the core feature of the counter pressing game is the ability to get the ball back from the opposition quickly by using high energy
to harass, chase and impose  on the opposition over short distances.

Anyway, would be great to get the win tonight. That would take us 11 points above Hearts ( and having played a game less). Whilst a defeat would reduce the gap to five points.....

(01-22-2020, 02:19 PM)county AML Wrote: seems  strange that we now decide to press high and fast considering one of the fastest players we ever had has just returned to his parent club

I was stating what hearts were going to do not us mate. Despite some people’s opinions, that power boy is now playing in the national league north. That maybe suggests he wasn’t good enough at this level

Sounds like a reasonable first half from County.

(01-22-2020, 09:23 PM)Ullapool Staggie Wrote: I was stating what hearts were going to do not us mate. Despite some people’s opinions, that power boy is now playing in the national league north. That maybe suggests he wasn’t good enough at this level
apologies I misread your quote but it must have been fate as tonight we played just as you described high line going forward at pace and harassing there midfield defence and keeper 
0 0 draw normally I would be fizzing mad but after watching the way we played tonight i can honestly say I am happy with a point every player ran his socks off we flagged a bit 20 minutes into second half as did hearts but best game I have seen this season long may it continue

More of a must not lose Wednesday then.

Played well, looked solid and had some nice interchanges of play. Could have and, on chances, should have won the game.

I do think we need another winger to come in but our main problem is the injuries. Stewart Draper and midge are key players out for us, once their back I think we have quite a strong squad. How did Fraser play against hearts? Our strongest XI When all fit would be a 4-2-3-1 imo Baxter Foster Watson Donaldson Kelly Tillson Draper Mullin Vigurs Midge Stewart.

I’m feeling more positive if we get everyone back fit. If you asked me if I’d take 8th in the league before a ball was kicked this season I’d of bit your hand off