Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
County vs St. Mirren 23/11
IMO Fraser could do the Draper type holding midfield role, he has experience of playing CH and full back and can cover the ground as required, there is a very decent player in there but unfortunately he has been out of sorts for some time. Perhaps the change would do him good. Foster is certainly more than capable of filling the full back slot.

But what really matters is that someone takes on this holding role and does it properly. Both Morris and particularly Fontaine are being dragged out of position constantly and often forced into tackling far too far up the park. They are frequently leaving themselves exposed and the last gap challenges they have to make are leading to mounting numbers of yellow cards. The gaps in the box, which are another side effect of this, are opportunities which even half decent front men are exploiting.
Until this is sorted we will not be winning many games and will potentially suffer humiliating defeats from the best teams - starting Sunday and probably continuing the following Wednesday.

All IMO of course....

After watching the game it simply served to confirm my view that we will do well to finish above relegation/play off places. Those clamouring for Laidlaw to be replaced have to realise that the keeper is the least of our problems - in saying that Baxter should probably own the jersey now. Up front our forwards do pretty well in converting the few chances they get. The main target appears to be our defence and although there clearly are issues my biggest concern remains our midfield. Injuries aside(all teams have to deal with them) we are just about into December and it looks as if we are no nearer being clear what our preferred midfield is.
Given that our back four aren’t faultless it seems obvious that we need to have a permanent holding midfielder. The seemingly constant chopping and changing of midfield personnel is not helping. At the same time it is curious that some individuals drop out of the entire match day squad only to be replaced by someone who performs to the same standard. Bar Midge we don’t really have a midfield goal threat to support the guy(s) up front. I think - for what that’s worth!- our midfield has been completely overrun in the majority of our games and are having to play most of their football in our own half. Anyhoo, I would hope that a more aggressive, pressing and regular midfield would complement our forwards and afford more protection to our back four.

I miss Jamie Lindsay.

Fraser isn’t a holding midfielder and it’s asking for Trouble playing him anywhere other than RB, we have enough players playing out of position as it is. Foster > Fraser > Kelly are our best full backs and foster and Fraser should consistently be starting. Laidlaw isn’t the issue and yes has had a few mistakes but Neur would lek goals with this defence. Saying that Baxter looked good enough to hold the number 1 spot. PolarBear is right our CBs are an issue, Fonts is finished Grivo and Watson are our best pair but we should still strengthen in Jan. but he’s also right that our midfield constantly changing isn’t a good think. If possible Draper Hendo and Chalmers should be the 3. Mullins and midge our wide and any of the strikers could be up top, on current form it had to be graham

(11-25-2019, 12:58 AM)Ullapool Staggie Wrote: Fraser isn’t a holding midfielder and it’s asking for Trouble playing him anywhere other than RB, we have enough players playing out of position as it is. Foster > Fraser > Kelly are our best full backs and foster and Fraser should consistently be starting. Laidlaw isn’t the issue and yes has had a few mistakes but Neur would lek goals with this defence. Saying that Baxter looked good enough to hold the number 1 spot. PolarBear is right our CBs are an issue, Fonts is finished Grivo and Watson are our best pair but we should still strengthen in Jan. but he’s also right that our midfield constantly changing isn’t a good think. If possible Draper Hendo and Chalmers should be the 3. Mullin and midge our wide and any of the strikers could be up top, on current form it had to be graham

I'm no longer convinced that Fraser is a better option than Kelly.
She never meant to call,
She did anyway

Personally the way forward for me is

Baxter
Watson grivosti Morris foster
Mullin draper chalmers midge
Henderson
Graham

There's no sugar coating that one (although one bright note is that Baxter already appears to be a significant upgrade on Laidlaw). We were truly atrocious 2nd half, and fully deserved to lose to a not particularly great St Midden side
I made this point in the Aberdeen match thread, but it bears repeating as the management team had the team set up in the same shape again- we really need to ditch 4-4-2, like the rest of elite football did 15 years ago. I actually quite like Henderson and Spence, but we're simply giving them far too much to do every week. There was a decent balance to the team when we went 4-1-4-1, no idea why that was ditched as we certainly have bodies in the squad that could comfortably operate there (and no, Marcus Fraser is not one of them)
We should have known from last season what to expect from a Jim Goodwin side- they're not pretty but they are extremely hard working, well-organised and with a couple of players given license to create
We're 0 wins in our last 8, but on closer examination our form is actually worse than that- if Hibs had an ounce of mental fortitude to them, they would have held on to their 2 goal lead v us, and one could argue we were fortunate to run into Killie (when they were still finding their feet under Alessio) and Hearts (at the nadir of Craig Levein's tenure) when we did

December won't be pretty
"The heart of the club is the fan. The board and the chairman are custodians. The staff are transient. But the fan is there forever"

Roy Macgregor, April 2013