Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Derek Adams
Hi

Morecambe fan here, I'm suprised some of our other fans haven't been on here already.

I was just wondering what your thoughts are on Derek Adams?

Plymouth tell us he's very single minded, sets up very defensivley, likes to win games 1v0, always plays the same formation and doesn't make good subs.

Also it seems our players will be in for double training sessions and that he has a reputation of fallinng out with his assistant managers.

However going by his first game for us last night that doesn't seem to the be the case at half time when we were 1v0 down he changed the formation and brought subs on early in the second half and we went on to win 3v1 playing some nice attacking football.

Just wondered what he was like at your place especially as it's probably a similar set up to Morecambe when you look at size of budgets etc.

He'll do fine for a couple of seasons but his transfer dealings veer from being decent to absolutely godawful without rhyme or reason.

He'll fall out with players constantly as well but he doesn't swear!

A decent manager in general but when things start going wrong oh boy they'll go wrong.
Quote:God bless the Stag Men and Children.

Despot's assessment is spot on.
He'll be amazing for a bit, then after he's pissed a few people off, it'll fall apart.
From what I see Derek's biggest problem/obstacle is his belief in what he is doing is always right.
Some call it arrogance, I personally think he just has an unwavering belief in himself. That and he probably thinks God will help him!!!
As for his style of football. He's capable of producing the most exciting team playing expansive football, next week the same team will grind out a boring 1-0. He's tactically effective and gets the job done.........until it doesn't (2seasons).
Overall most county fans are grateful to Derek as he did well with us.

Cheers guys

Sounds pretty much the same as what he did at Plymouth 3 good seasons then it all fell appart and he fell out with everyone.

I think some people forget the longevity of his stint(s) as our manager he was awesome for us getting to a cup final , winning the challenge cup and promoting us to the top flight! , the season he was sacked yes he did deserve it but what was gone before that can’t be forgotten, I still have a sneaking suspicion he’ll manage us again some day

(11-14-2019, 03:30 AM)Monthestaggies98 Wrote: I think some people forget the longevity of his stint(s) as our manager he was awesome for us getting to a cup final , winning the challenge cup and promoting us to the top flight! , the season he was sacked yes he did deserve it but what was gone before that can’t be forgotten, I still have a sneaking suspicion he’ll manage us again some day

Got us up at the first attempt from the third tier after the mess Scott Leitch left us in, which was a decent achievement as well.

Derek was the most successful manager we have ever had

(11-15-2019, 08:12 PM)DORTAIN Wrote: Derek was the most successful manager we have ever had

So far.........Go Ferg n Ketts!

(11-15-2019, 08:12 PM)DORTAIN Wrote: Derek was the most successful manager we have ever had

Have to agree, Del was great for us, what he did with the resources at his disposal was quite something. I would be more than happy to see him return in some guise or other (director of football?).

(11-19-2019, 01:36 PM)cdam Wrote: Have to agree, Del was great for us, what he did with the resources at his disposal was quite something. I would be more than happy to see him return in some guise or other (director of football?).

Christ, that is a horrendous shout.

(11-20-2019, 09:28 AM)Pete The Jakey Wrote: Christ, that is a horrendous shout.

Think he's taking the Mick! Must be!

(11-20-2019, 01:03 PM)USSR Tycoon Wrote: Think he's taking the Mick! Must be!

Given that Derek couldn’t even be in the same room as MacGregor at the end, let alone speak to him I can’t imagine he’d be invited into the board room. Must be a sick joke!

(11-20-2019, 10:50 PM)Pete The Jakey Wrote: Given that Derek couldn’t even be in the same room as MacGregor at the end, let alone speak to him I can’t imagine he’d be invited into the board room. Must be a sick joke!

I wasn't aware that their relationship had become so poor. So no chance of him coming back then.

Maybe some folk don't think his tenure was anything special?

(11-21-2019, 02:36 PM)cdam Wrote: I wasn't aware that their relationship had become so poor. So no chance of him coming back then.

Maybe some folk don't think his tenure was anything special?

My opinion of Derek Adams will always be tainted by the way things ended up in the twilight of his managerial spell. At the end the Adams' became so toxic that it wasn't funny, and their signing policy was just embarrassing.

However I loved him as a player (first time round) and the highs of his managerial spell were amazing. Its just a shame it had to end so badly. He is clearly weighed down by stubborness and dogma, and cannot adapt when it is required by the Chairman or Club. I remember lsiting to Colin Macnamenanananan interview gave on him and it was a real eye opener.

Now looking back, I wouldn't want Adams anywhere near my Club.

...Ross County managerial naughty step:

Owen Coyle
Willie McStay
Calderwood snr
Calderwood jnr
Derek Adams

(11-22-2019, 12:28 PM)Pete The Jakey Wrote: My opinion of Derek Adams will always be tainted by the way things ended up in the twilight of his managerial spell. At the end the Adams' became so toxic that it wasn't funny, and their signing policy was just embarrassing.

However I loved him as a player (first time round) and the highs of his managerial spell were amazing. Its just a shame it had to end so badly. He is clearly weighed down by stubborness and dogma, and cannot adapt when it is required by the Chairman or Club. I remember lsiting to Colin Macnamenanananan interview gave on him and it was a real eye opener.

Now looking back, I wouldn't want Adams anywhere near my Club.

...Ross County managerial naughty step:

Owen Coyle
Willie McStay
Calderwood snr
Calderwood jnr
Derek Adams

Colin McMenamin had a go at Adams because he didn't let them have a drink after the Ayr game. County were due to play Dundee less than 72 hours later. The fact McMenamin went against this says a lot. He couldn't hack the SPL, whereas many who sacrificed a bit more enjoyed a stint in the top league, McMenamin slipped down the leagues. The reason he did so well in the First Division was due to Adams and staff getting him properly fit. In fact his second best goal return in professional football was at County.

As for your naughty step, how you have someone like Adams who took County to a Scottish Cup Final, Challenge Cup Win, Two Promotions, 40 Game Unbeaten Run and a 5th place finish in the top league, yet fail to have Alex Smith is laughable.

(11-22-2019, 03:44 PM)LauchlansLeftBoot Wrote: Colin McMenamin had a go at Adams because he didn't let them have a drink after the Ayr game. County were due to play Dundee less than 72 hours later. The fact McMenamin went against this says a lot. He couldn't hack the SPL, whereas many who sacrificed a bit more enjoyed a stint in the top league, McMenamin slipped down the leagues. The reason he did so well in the First Division was due to Adams and staff getting him properly fit. In fact his second best goal return in professional football was at County.

As for your naughty step, how you have someone like Adams who took County to a Scottish Cup Final, Challenge Cup Win, Two Promotions, 40 Game Unbeaten Run and a 5th place finish in the top league, yet fail to have Alex Smith is laughable.

Who said the list was exhaustive you [censored].

(11-22-2019, 03:44 PM)LauchlansLeftBoot Wrote: Colin McMenamin had a go at Adams because he didn't let them have a drink after the Ayr game. County were due to play Dundee less than 72 hours later. The fact McMenamin went against this says a lot. He couldn't hack the SPL, whereas many who sacrificed a bit more enjoyed a stint in the top league, McMenamin slipped down the leagues. The reason he did so well in the First Division was due to Adams and staff getting him properly fit. In fact his second best goal return in professional football was at County.

In terms of footballing achievements Adams shouldn't be on the naughty step but the way it ended during his second time in charge was an utter debacle which would mean Roy wouldn't touch him with a bargepole even if he was interested, I'd think.

The Alex Smith years still make me shudder.

(11-23-2019, 12:46 AM)Pete The Jakey Wrote: Who said the list was exhaustive you [censored].

You are an angry little man aren't you?

Don't post [censored], and you won't get called out for it.

Comprende?

(11-22-2019, 03:44 PM)LauchlansLeftBoot Wrote: As for your naughty step, how you have someone like Adams who took County to a Scottish Cup Final, Challenge Cup Win, Two Promotions, 40 Game Unbeaten Run and a 5th place finish in the top league, yet fail to have Alex Smith is laughable.

He was good for us ,until it all fell apart for whatever reason, or reasons.
He never won the Challenge Cup as a manager though

I guess he was the sort of manager that if things were going well all was OK, but really struggled with things were not going well. Remember some of those post match interviews, it was like he was about to have a breakdown or such like.

He has not set the heather on fire since he left but always watch with interest.