Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Away to Hamilton 2/11/19
It's 8.41 a.m. the game is just over 6 hours away and not even a thread. SPFL fatigue? Has this forum lost members and interest?

8.41 a.m. and the game is just over 6 hours away and no thread on this forum. SPFL fatigue? Apathy? Lost members? Why are contributed dwindling? Is there another forum where folk are commenting?

Tongue 
(11-02-2019, 09:45 AM)the reaper Wrote: 8.41 a.m. and the game is just over 6 hours away and no thread on this forum. SPFL fatigue? Apathy? Lost members? Why are contributed dwindling? Is there another forum where folk are commenting?

Maybe the other members have started a new forum but not told us, as all we do is moan ?

County win today. Billy will start in place of Graham. Midge also to be recalled.
2-0 county. McKay and Graham off the bench to score ?

On an unrelated subject.
Can anyone tell me why my emicons don't work on this site?

Big game today against a team we struggle with on their own pitch. Have to bounce back from our non appearance drubbing on Wednesday. No idea what changes will be made today but 3 points please to set us up for the Dons game which I will be up for. Mon the staggies.
Born a highlander always a highlander.Smile

[quote="jamiepscot" pid='77221'

On an unrelated subject.
Can anyone tell me why my emicons don't work on this site?
[/quote]

They disappeared with the sense of humour.

(11-02-2019, 10:26 AM)the reaper Wrote: They disappeared with the sense of humour.

Ha ha. I would have put a smiley face but...........

Yes, there is another forum

2-1 Hamilton , McKay with our goal 20 mins left hopefully we salvage something

County win today. Billy will start in place of Graham. Midge also to be recalled.
2-0 county. McKay and Graham off the bench to score ?

Well I was half right.
I forgot our defence was rubbish and a clean sheet is beyond us!

(11-02-2019, 02:32 PM)frankthetank Wrote: Yes, there is another forum

Is it better than this one?

Despite County scoring a second consecutive, late, away league goal to salvage a valuable point at the death again, the general feeling at the final whistle today was one of disappointment given the poor overall County performance against a home side who were there for the taking. Hamilton did what Hamilton do. Their lack of ability was made up by their willingness to chase, close down, break up play, slow the game down and frustrate. Not pleasing on the eye, but effective.....

In saying that, the home side controlled play and possession for large parts of the second half and overran the weak County central midfield who were posted missing for most of the game. The normally reliable Ross Draper would be the first to admit that he had a real off day, losing tackles and giving the ball away / misplacing basic passes. I thought that Lewis Spence, playing alongside him also had a poor game, including needlessly giving away possession to Lewis Smith, that directly resulted in Hamilton scoring their second goal.

However, I thought that the County defence was equally poor today with only Foster and Watson getting pass marks. If Hamilton had their shooting boots on today, they could have easily scored further goals.

Despite the defensive unit, I thought that Foster was County's second best player today behind Gardyne, with both linking well down the left flank. However, it doesn't hide the fact that County have now conceded more goals than any other team in the Premiership. Surely, Morris (who was rock solid against Hearts and was on the bench today) should be the starting CB with Watson ?

I also thought that Ross Stewart was wasted in right midfield today, with that tactical switch being done to accommodate Lee Erwin, who was making a rare appearance today, playing just off Billy McKay in a 4-4-1-1 formation, the third different starting formation in the last eight days.

Both players were involved in the opening goal in the first minute of play. Home goalkeeper Fon-Williams could only parry Erwin's low, angled shot from inside the left of the box straight out to the feet of McKay, who passed the ball into the empty net from about eight yards out.

Following the early goal Hamilton had a couple of half chances. Teenager Lewis Smith cut inside Gardyne on the right edge of the box. His wild effort from 25 yards cleared the opposite post by some distance. That was followed three minutes later by a Stubbs back post header- connecting with a Smith corner from the right- that narrowly went over the bar.

For the next ten minutes Hamilton pushed County back and won three corners during that spell, but despite their pressing, they didn't create any chances. Their cynical element was seen- for what would prove to be the first of many occasions - in the 27th. minute when Scott McMann was rightly booked for a blatant dive on the right edge of the penalty box.

County should have had a penalty one minute later when Ross Stewart was clearly taken out of play at the opposite end of the park. The referee waved play on, much to the fury of the County players.

On the half hour mark Ross Cunningham came close to equalizing when his direct free kick- from the left edge of the D - narrowly cleared the bar. The award had resulted from a Keith Watson challenge for which the County defender was rightly booked.

Three minutes later, a home corner from the right, resulted In the ball bouncing three yards from the goal line. With no home player nearby it went out for a goal kick.

County had to wait until 11 minutes before half-time for their second attempt on goal. Michael Gardyne' s shot from 22 yards out on the left, was hit with power, but bounced wide of the near post

County almost went 2-0 ahead a few minutes later when Ross Stewart did well to latch into a clever Erwin through ball. Under pressure from the advancing keeper, his lobbed shot went just wide of the post.

County keeper Laidlaw had his first save of the game, five minutes before the break when he got down to hold a low Miller effort- from the right edge of the box- that lacked any real power.

So, at the break County deserved the lead having created the better (but limited) chances and also having had a valid penalty claim denied by the overly fussy referee.......

The man in charge showed further ineptitude during the first four minutes after the restart when he twice stopped play in identical County attacking positions on the right edge of the penalty box indicating ' hand ball' against Stewart and Gardyne, in separate incidents, where none existed. Both occurred right in front of the away support, whilst the referee was behind play.

However, Hamilton dominated play and possession in the early and mid stages of the second half.

A direct effort from a free-kick, by home substitute Steven Davis, five minutes after the restart went a couple of feet wide of the post.

Within a minute Hamilton were level when the impressive Smith cut in from the right, past Richard Foster, steadied himself and lashed the ball high into the net from inside the box, giving Laidlaw no chance.

Just after the hour mark home striker George Oakley was booked for another blatant home dive, as he failed to con the referee with a penalty award.

Hamilton continued to push County back, taking advantage of the large gaps that were repeatedly appearing in the County midfield. Indeed, it looked like County were playing with a man down.

Hamilton took the lead in the 63rd. minute through a totally avoidable goal. Lewis Spence gave the ball away to Lewis Smith with a short range pass in central midfield. Smith passed the ball forward to Oakley - who found himself in total space- bearing through with a clear run on goal down the middle. The home striker lashed the ball into the left corner of the net past Laidlaw, who had next to no chance of saving it.

Just before the goal, County super-sub Brian Graham had replaced the tiring Lee Erwin. Immediately after the goal, Josh Mullin replaced Billy McKay and County's final change was made within ten minutes of the first sub, when Euan Henderson replaced Lewis Spence.

Once again, these changes altered the course of the game with County playing with urgency and desire for the first time in the game as Stewart partnered Graham, Mullin played on the right flank and Henderson put his foot on the ball and dictated play. That aspect had been absent in the County midfield before then.

With 14 minutes left a powerful Graham strike from 16 yards out bounced narrowly wide of the right-hand post. That was followed by a decent Mullin shot from a similar position that Fon-Williams did well to hold on his line.

Hamilton's contribution at this stage of the game was limited to stopping play, with simulated fouls and blatant time-wasting. That tactic changed after the County urgency paid off with two minutes of regulation time left when Brian Graham scored his trademark late goal. He drilled the ball low and hard into the right corner of the net from about 14 yards out. He was set up by the excellent Gardyne who drove into the left side of the box at pace, before cutting a perfectly weighted, angled pass to the feet of the predatory striker.

County came agonisingly close to winning the game deep into stoppage time when Ross Stewart got his head to a Henderson free kick from the right - at the back post - and was thwarted by an instinctive close range Fon-Williams save. The keeper's parry led to the ball breaking just in front of goal ,but the loose ball did not break kindly for what would have been a tap in at the death.

Despite a poor overall performance, a point today lifts County back into sixth place.

However, I always think that the key to a consistently high- performing team is a settled line up with a strong central spine running through it. That has not been possible so far due to injuries, I personally would like to see Baxter, Morris, Watson, two of Draper /Henderson/ Spittal /Paton and striker Ross Stewart forming that spine. Harsh on Graham who always gives 100 % and never lets the side down, but perhaps best used as an impact player.

Others will have their own thoughts.........

No need to buy the Sunday papers again this week

Another brilliant report Fyrish take a bow son

A point away from home against one of our rivals in terms of position isn't a bad result at all. We seriously need to look at our defence as we are shipping some amount of goals at the moment.
Quote:God bless the Stag Men and Children.

Thanks for the report Fyrish. I was hoping for a win and would’ve been slightly disappointed with a draw but we showed character, which after the nature of the defeat on Wednesday is encouraging.

I know it’s not the most inspiring fixtures but definitely an important one in our season. Sad to see