Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Motherwell Away
(09-21-2019, 06:14 PM)Ullapool Staggie Wrote: That sort of opinion of dropping laidlaw after a howler is the decision which lead to fox having a howler of a season after how jimmy handled his howler. Trust me ruddy is playing way to high a level, I agree we need a better goalie but laidlaw >>> Ruddy.

I agree with you about Ruddy but what’s the point in having him in the first place. Fantastic result for County and delighted to be wrong . This result was as big a surprise as the defeat to Livingstone. Just sets you up nicely for your Saturday night. Cheers!!

(09-20-2019, 05:09 PM)murray aberdeen stagg Wrote: Will have to improve on our last away performance and maybe Brian Graham to start as he scored twice there in the cup last January. Mon the staggies.

Good shout about Graham,turned the game after coming on!

If stewart carries on as he is (knocking in the goals) then there is likely to be a Q forming for his signature. I hope he has the sense to see out the season at least. Im sure he signed a long contract but.....

Still on the positive side - what a result today. Team spirit and belief is alive.

Now to get the home fans to believe that we have a good an credible team to compete at the top level in Scotland

(09-21-2019, 05:25 PM)Drakies Staggie Wrote: It's a reflection on some of the posts on here that so few people use this forum now. I can't be arsed checking this Forum, or adding posts, because some of the idiots on here just piss me off.

I won't be back and, yes I know, I won't be missed.

You will be missed gadge,hang in there .
We need old school guys like you.

Given Motherwell's recent form and attacking brand of football, that was a bit unexpected. Most of us would have settled for a point beforehand. As it was, the County win turned out to be a perfect result, on a perfect playing surface on a perfect day weather wise.....

The first-half was fairly even in terms of possession and chances. Billy McKay came close to opening the scoring twice in the opening twenty minutes. He headed narrowly wide of the post after connecting with a Henderson free- kick from the right. That was followed by an overhead effort that home keeper Gillespie did well to claw away from the top corner. County's other notable chance came a couple of minutes before half-time when a Gardyne header narrowly went over the bar, when he connected with a pacy Fraser cross from the right.

The home side looked lively, with Sherwin Seedorf proving to be a real handful down the left channel. They had the ball in the net in the 22nd. minute when Declan Gallagher connected with a long throw in, from the right, to head into the net - just inside the right post from 8 yards out. His effort was chalked off for a push in the box. A few minutes later a vicious Liam Donnelly shot narrowly swerved over the County bar. That was followed by Laidlaw doing well to hold a curling Seedorf shot from the left edge of the penalty box. The same player came closer to opening the scoring just before the break when his low, powerful shot from a similar position rippled the outside netting.

Motherwell looked like a transformed team for the first 20 minutes of the second half. They dominated the game and pinned County back for long periods. It was therefore no surprise when they opened the scoring just after the hour mark, with a superbly worked move that culminated in Campbell calmly passing the ball into the bottom, left corner of the net from the centre of the penalty box.

With County continuing to look vulnerable in the middle, tiring central midfielders Henderson and Paton were replaced three minutes later by Chalmers and Spittal. The lively Seedorf was subbed off shortly afterwards.

Well continued to push County back and came close to scoring again in the 70th. minute when Laidlaw pulled off a great save to turn a low, James Scott shot around the left-hand post, and out for a corner.

Shortly afterwards, Brian Graham came on for the excellent Grivosti who had once again played in an out of position midfield role, forming part of what must be the youngest central midfield trio in the Premiership.

Graham had an immediate impact when he scored an unlikely equaliser with fifteen minutes left in what was County's first serious effort of the second-half. Michael Gardyne was provider by driving at pace, down the centre, in a mazy run against the retreating defence. Instead of shooting, he played a clever, angled, decoy pass, to his left, straight into the path of Brian Graham who calmly passed the ball into the opposite corner of the net from 14 yards out. The big striker scoring his third goal in County's last two visits to Fir Park.

Matters got worse for the home side a few minutes later when Jake Carroll was rightly sent off for his second reckless challenge in the space of two minutes. Both were deemed yelllow card offences, when the second could have easily been a straight red.

The effect of the sending off -and all three away substitutions- galvanised County as they started to take the game to their hosts for the first time during the second-half. After a couple of near misses, the winning goal came with two minutes left. Ricky Foster was architect down the left side. He took his opponent out of the game with a clever 'Cruyff turn' on the left channel, drove further forward and crossed the ball to the back post area. At first it looked like the cross had been slightly overhit. However, Ross Stewart did superbly to make contact. From a very acute angle, his header was expertly dispatched to the opposite side of the net giving the home keeper no chance. The goal was scored right in front of the jubilant away support.

County nerves were jangled in the third minute of added time when Well were awarded a free- kick in a good position. A home player just failed to connect with the ball at the back post area. Following which the full -time whistle was blown.

For all of Motherwell's deserved plaudits so far this season, today's win has lifted County to fifth place in the Premiership -on the same number of points as fourth place 'Well........

Positives - the co- managers got their tactics spot on, making the right substitutions at the right times which changed the course of the game; the clinical nature of both real chances County created in the second- half and the associated build up play for both goals; the 400th. County appearance today for Midge who was a real handful for the home side; a great team effort, but plaudits in particular to Keith Watson for his trademark goal blocking defending yet again (my personal player of the season last season).

My only criticism today was the ease with which Motherwell ran through the central areas largely unopposed for the first twenty minutes of the second half, with the excellent Grimshaw and Campbell in particular exploiting that space.
That was against an increasingly deep and pinned back County team during that spell. However, that is nitpicking in what proved to be an excellent day and result.

Well done lads........

(09-21-2019, 09:33 AM)tattiedave Wrote: Got to stick with Ross Stewart,can't see Graham starting,but MacKay has started like last season,struggling for goals,but then his hat trick v Dundee Utd got him going.
Here's hoping today is his day for goals.

Brian Graham scored & Billy Mckay did not. Time for big Ross & big Brian to start & see what happens.
Born a highlander always a highlander.Smile

(09-21-2019, 10:26 PM)murray aberdeen stagg Wrote: Brian Graham scored & Billy Mckay did not. Time for big Ross & big Brian to start & see what happens.

Agreed to be honest , I like McKay but graham deserves an opportunity also Erwin was good for his previous Scottish clubs so would like to see him soon also, what great options to have!

Great result and overall very good start to the season, keep it up lads.

(09-21-2019, 06:23 PM)USSR Tycoon Wrote: I agree with you about Ruddy but what’s the point in having him in the first place. Fantastic result for County and delighted to be wrong . This result was as big a surprise as the defeat to Livingstone. Just sets you up nicely for your Saturday night. Cheers!!

I think ruddy was the definition of a panic buy mate. By looks and sounds of it, Nathan Baxter was to be our first choice keeper, when he was injured and already loaned out Munro, laidlaw had to become first choice and had no back up. Ruddy was only person available to get quickly. Might be wrong but I think Ruddy is only here up to January mate? Anyway cracking result away from home against a good in form Motherwell team. I would of been delighted with a point so all 3 is fantastic

Great coverage Fyrish - much appreciated.

Also, I agree with you on Watson, he got my vote last season too.

Hard fought win great result thanks Fyrish stag for report

Other than last weeks blunder laidlaw has looked fine , what do others think?

Exclamation 
Thanks once again Fyrish - your Reports are much appreciated!

Fantastic result - well done County!
Malky Mackay - he's our new manager

Excellent report as always Fyrish, many thanks. Well done to the 179.

I'm not sure what the locals in the pubs in Prague thought of me dancing like an idiot after I heard the full time score in my County top, was too delighted to care!
She never meant to call,
She did anyway

(09-22-2019, 02:41 PM)Monthestaggies98 Wrote: Other than last weeks blunder laidlaw has looked fine , what do others think?

I think the main issue is the defence always look a bit worried with him behind them. Don't think he installs confidence.

Baxter can't be too far off, will be interesting to see what happens with his return.

I think last season has done Stewart the world of good, was a superb header.

(09-22-2019, 02:41 PM)Monthestaggies98 Wrote: Other than last weeks blunder laidlaw has looked fine , what do others think?

I tend to agree. Good to see the howler doesn’t seem to have affected him too much.

(09-24-2019, 05:23 PM)cdam Wrote: I tend to agree. Good to see the howler doesn’t seem to have affected him too much.

From what I've heard...... he's used to making them!!

He's a wee bit flappy at times, but overall he's done okay. I've not managed to make any away games this season, but from the home games he's not been that bad.
She never meant to call,
She did anyway