Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Keep/Punt/Under contract so we're probably stuck with them
Rather than clog up the thread designed for confirmed deals, I thought I'd start one where we could realistically speculate which of our existing squad will be here next season. Contract info is mostly off the top of my head, so if anyone wants to correct please provide linkage

Fox- keep. Believe he's out of contract but has had a good season and looks twice the keeper under Ferglewell than he was under O*** C****. Sign up
Munro- under contract. No-brainer getting him signed up for another year. Still very young for a keeper and didn't do much wrong during his run in the team in the Irn Bru cup. Maybe give him a run on Saturday?

Fraser - keep. Not his best season (have heard whispers he's been carrying an injury) and (I think) out of contract but proven as competent enough at bottom 6 Premiership level
Watson- keep. Quietly excellent this season, can cover CB and RB too
Morris- under contract. Made of glass, unfortunately. Have we really seen enough of him to confidently judge?
Boyle- punt. Nowhere near good enough on the ball. A solid enough defender, upper half of the Championship is probably his level- problem is, next season it won't be ours
Grivo- keep. Has really kicked on in the last few weeks, undoubtedly has a big future. If we want to keep him (he's out of contract) and see him as a possible starter, though, we need to pay him like one
Semple- a younger Morris without the glass
Fonts- want to say keep, but if we also keep all those listed above as keep, is there room for him? Not getting any younger (although encouraging to see him getting involved with coaching the yoofs)
I'd punt both left-backs tbh. Neither has really stood out as being a significant upgrade on the other- Kelly seems to be made of the same substance Morris is while Kenny, bless him, isn't a starting level LB for a team with aspirations of staying in the Premiership (wouldn't bet against him hanging around/returning as cover, though)

Draper- keep. Pretty much word for word Fraser's write-up
Lindsay- under contract. Gets better every week. Has added goals to his game as well- future captain material
Spence- under contract. I'm still not entirely sure what he excels at (he seems to be 7/10 for everything but a 10/10 for nothing) but has done a job when he's come in. Handy squad player (would envision us going with 3 CMs more often next season so depth here is useful)
Cowie- under contract. Still see a role for him at the club (like Fonts, encouraging to see him getting involved with the yoofs) but not as a regular starter. Couldn't ask for a better option to calm a game down when needed, though (and by all accounts an excellent example to the younger members of the squad)
Vigurs- under contract. Still a wonderful technical player- will need legs around him, though, but undoubtedly still an asset
Paton- while I'd like to keep him, the lad needs 1st team football, which we simply haven't given him anywhere near enough of. Would be no surprise if he left and went on to star for another Championship side next season
Uncle Mullzy-under contract. Easiest one of the lot. Getting him signed up longer-term would be lovely
Midge- keep. Has had arguably one of his best seasons for us, worth giving him another shot at the Premiership
Armstrong - under contract. There's potential there. Needs a good pre-season (recall him looking absolutely burst after 60 minutes v ICT) but would keep around
DKD- under contract. By all accounts the rose that is the thornbush that is Falkirk FC 2018/19. Hopefully regular game time there is what he needed to help kick on

Stewart - under contract. Still very raw but there's definitely something there (and indeed he's already proven to be effective). Not entirely sure he'll ever be a 20 goal per season predator but poses defenders all sorts of problems
Mckay - keep....probably. It's not the slam-dunk keep you'd expect it to be. 7 goals in his last 2 top flight seasons (yes, they were in poor sides, but what do y'all think we'll be next season?) doesn't fill me with confidence (and how often will he get a partner in attack?), for all the goals he's plundered this season
Graham- keep. At worst, a perfectly serviceable plan B
McManus- under contract. Doesn't give me any pleasure to say it as bless him he's a trier but cannot for the life of me see him being a viable striking option in the top flight
"The heart of the club is the fan. The board and the chairman are custodians. The staff are transient. But the fan is there forever"

Roy Macgregor, April 2013

Was waiting for after the Falkirk game, but I guess this is close enough.

Fox: Keep. Our best keeper, still have some questions about his aerial organisation and ability, but he's still quality.
Munro: Keep, obviously the managers see something. Might be a loan season to a Championship/League One club for him, though.

Fraser: Undecided. He's still nowhere near the player he can be, with his runs forward coming more into his game as the season progressed. I'd only punt him if we could get someone in that was markedly better, which won't be easy.
Watson: Keep. Has been very solid when on the pitch and is possibly the best shot blocker I've ever seen at County. Decent in the air for a lad who is originally a right back by trade.
Morris: Keep. When fit, he's be the perfect partner for Grivosti. IF he can stay fit.
Boyle: Punt. Feels harsh, but a Championship defender at best. Terrible on the ball but otherwise solid and no nonsense.
Semple: Undecided. Didn't play enough. Will be kept as he's left sided and young.
Fonts: Keep. Will get one more crack at the top league and will probably start the season as one of our first choice centre halves before slowly becoming a squad player.
Kelly: Punt. Far more gifted technically than Kenny, but soft for a big man. Can occasionally ping a worldie of a pass but too hesistant when it comes to his positioning.
Kenny: Undecided. WIll probably be kept but is a bottom 6 left back at best. He can do a job at CB but only against bruiser strikers who want to scrap and aren't blessed with trickery or pace.

Draper: Keep. We need his bite in midfield. Has been up and down this season but well worth a starting place next year.
Spence: Keep. Not as tough as Draper but a decent passer and niggly. Think he can improve further.
Lindsay: Keep. Struggled last season but has grown as a player since.
Cowie: Keep. Only due to a 3 year deal and his involvement in the coaching set up. His legs are gone.
Vigurs: Keep. Our most creative passer when fit. Will need fitter players around him.
Paton: Keep. Has talent. We need to play him or he'll leave.
Mullin. Keep. Our player of the season.
Midge: Keep. Another good season but will need to be rotated more next season as he's starting to get on a bit.
Armstrong: Keep. Looks talented but needs more first team game time.
DKD: Keep. Has shown potential before- has he learned to not only go on the inside at Falkirk?

Stewart: Keep. Has shown his worth up front as an awkward big man. Needs to improve his decision making at times.
Mckay: Keep. Our best goal scorer, would be mad to punt him.
Graham: Keep. A decent back up, worth keeping.
McManus: Punt. Works hard but that isn't enough for the top flight.
Quote:God bless the Stag Men and Children.

(04-30-2019, 04:04 PM)Despot Wrote: Was waiting for after the Falkirk game, but I guess this is close enough.

Fox: Keep. Our best keeper, still have some questions about his aerial organisation and ability, but he's still quality.
Munro: Keep, obviously the managers see something. Might be a loan season to a Championship/League One club for him, though.

Fraser: Undecided. He's still nowhere near the player he can be, with his runs forward coming more into his game as the season progressed. I'd only punt him if we could get someone in that was markedly better, which won't be easy.
Watson: Keep. Has been very solid when on the pitch and is possibly the best shot blocker I've ever seen at County. Decent in the air for a lad who is originally a right back by trade.
Morris: Keep. When fit, he's be the perfect partner for Grivosti. IF he can stay fit.
Boyle: Punt. Feels harsh, but a Championship defender at best. Terrible on the ball but otherwise solid and no nonsense.
Semple: Undecided. Didn't play enough. Will be kept as he's left sided and young.
Fonts: Keep. Will get one more crack at the top league and will probably start the season as one of our first choice centre halves before slowly becoming a squad player.
Kelly: Punt. Far more gifted technically than Kenny, but soft for a big man. Can occasionally ping a worldie of a pass but too hesistant when it comes to his positioning.
Kenny: Undecided. WIll probably be kept but is a bottom 6 left back at best. He can do a job at CB but only against bruiser strikers who want to scrap and aren't blessed with trickery or pace.

Draper: Keep. We need his bite in midfield. Has been up and down this season but well worth a starting place next year.
Spence: Keep. Not as tough as Draper but a decent passer and niggly. Think he can improve further.
Lindsay: Keep. Struggled last season but has grown as a player since.
Cowie: Keep. Only due to a 3 year deal and his involvement in the coaching set up. His legs are gone.
Vigurs: Keep. Our most creative passer when fit. Will need fitter players around him.
Paton: Keep. Has talent. We need to play him or he'll leave.
Mullin. Keep. Our player of the season.
Midge: Keep. Another good season but will need to be rotated more next season as he's starting to get on a bit.
Armstrong: Keep. Looks talented but needs more first team game time.
DKD: Keep. Has shown potential before- has he learned to not only go on the inside at Falkirk?

Stewart: Keep. Has shown his worth up front as an awkward big man. Needs to improve his decision making at times.
Mckay: Keep. Our best goal scorer, would be mad to punt him.
Graham: Keep. A decent back up, worth keeping.
McManus: Punt. Works hard but that isn't enough for the top flight.

Ignoring their contract situation:
Keep: Fox, Munro, Fraser, Van Der Weg, Watson, Grivosti, Fontaine (just about), Draper, Vigurs, Spence, Mullin, Midge, Armstrong, Lindsay, DKD, Stewart, Mckay, Graham and McManus

Punt: Kelly, Semple, Cowie, Boyle, Paton, Morris

I'm assuming Cowie and Kelly will stay, and that Mullin will move on, but you never can tell.

(04-30-2019, 06:57 PM)Savage Henry Wrote: Ignoring their contract situation:
Keep: Fox, Munro, Fraser, Van Der Weg, Watson, Grivosti, Fontaine (just about), Draper, Vigurs, Spence, Mullin, Midge, Armstrong, Lindsay, DKD, Stewart, Mckay, Graham and McManus

Punt: Kelly, Semple, Cowie, Boyle, Paton, Morris

I'm assuming Cowie and Kelly will stay, and that Mullin will move on, but you never can tell.

Mullin is here until next season on paper- but I would not be surprised if there's a minimum fee release clause. He's done too well for the bigger fish not to notice.

Ketts on the radio this evening was emphasising that he wanted to keep the group together, and that he expected the most to rise to the challenge and to be capable in the Premiership. Reference was made to Livi who did this to good effect.

There are no bad eggs in the dressing room (so that smell must be something else). Steven and Stuart encouraged the important influence of Captain Fraser and other senior players such as Don Cowie in "policing" the dressing room and ensuring the squad had the right attitude and commitment to the success of the group.

Other points included acknowledging that a different playing style will be necessary compared to this season where we have expected to have a lot of possession.
FergnKetts - BestBossYets

Priority to keep: Draper Mullin Midge Fox Vigurs

Quality to have: Lindsay McKay Graham Watson

Potential: Grivo DKD Armstrong Paton Munro

Need to see more from: Fraser Morris Fontaine

Decent Squad filler: Spence Stewart KVDW Cowie Semple

Punt: Kelly McManus Boyle

Desperately need a LB neither Kelly or VDW are good enough to start for a team wanting to stay in the prem, VDW slightly better than kelly so I would have him as a squad filler and bring someone in. A new CB would be nice and happy with rumours of Donaldson, too good for the championship. Another GK would be good, gives Munro a chance to go out on loan for regular first team football.

I really don't like the title of this thread.

There's nothing wrong with speculating about next season's squad, but to use the word "punt" as if we're throwing away trash and "We're stuck with them" is not what I expect to see on a supporters website.

We won the league because we have the best squad, not just the best team. Every player gave their all to get us promoted and instead of getting thanks for their efforts we're relishing kicking them out.

Of course some players won't make the grade and some new faces will be brought in, but treating our players in such a disdainful way does us no favours.

(05-01-2019, 10:05 AM)It's Only A Game Wrote: I really don't like the title of this thread.

There's nothing wrong with speculating about next season's squad, but to use the word "punt" as if we're throwing away trash and "We're stuck with them" is not what I expect to see on a supporters website.

Oh you sensitive Sally.

The bottom six of the Premiership is filled with some absolute [censored]. As long as we take in 3/4 players of half decent quality, we will be fine.

Title seems very fair. We have only won this league because of the poor quality of the other teams. If we are to progress then a clear out is required - however it appears the management team want to keep the present squad together.

(05-01-2019, 12:04 PM)Brown Savoy Wrote: Title seems very fair. We have only won this league because of the poor quality of the other teams. If we are to progress then a clear out is required - however it appears the management team want to keep the present squad together.

Which I think does make sense. We could do a At Mirren and clear out the majority of the squad and rebuild from scratch but that has left them with the potential for relegation or we could follow Livingstons model of keeping most of the squad together and just add a few extra faces and hope it works. Clearly we will lose some players and will require a larger squad than this season, thinking only maybe 4 extra players, but keeping the current squad together means the players know Joe if play together rather than having a whole new squad and waiting for them to become a cohesive unit

(05-01-2019, 10:05 AM)It's Only A Game Wrote: I really don't like the title of this thread.

We won the league because we have the best squad, not just the best team. Every player gave their all to get us promoted and instead of getting thanks for their efforts we're relishing kicking them out.

Of course some players won't make the grade and some new faces will be brought in, but treating our players in such a disdainful way does us no favours.

Poor little snowflake.

How about Snog/Marry/Avoid instead? That’s the game Mrs Jakey plays with the present squad.

I think there's a solid core there. We'll most likely go 4-3-3/4-5-1 or possibly 4-4-1-1 next season so with:

FOX

Fraser/Possible new RB
Watson/Fontaine
Grivosti/Semple
NEW LB

Vigurs
Draper
Lindsay/Spence

Midge/DKD
McKay/Stewart
Mullin/Armstrong

We'll do alright. We definently need a new centre half and a creative midfielder as Vigurs won't have the legs for the whole season and will no doubt rack up a number of bookings with his trademark awful tackling.

Recognise we seem to be in the minority but I'm with you - we have had a lot of injuries through the year and players have been pretty consistent. Even these last few weeks when I don't think kelly has been at his best (still recovering and thrown in) worked hard and tried to provide some solidity. Same as KVW when he came back even when moved to CB. Every week Ive been proud to watch the team as they have always played - its not always been perfect or always pretty though last week was pretty fantastic so happy we have players to and above their potential.

I think we need to evolve the squad and do think we will need a different plan with more central midfield cover as that was our weakness since Jackson left - this may require some changes but this squad worked consistently hard and you can suggest the league is not the best but very few teams bounce straight back and even more impressive given injuries to key players throughout.

(05-01-2019, 01:19 PM)Pete The Jakey Wrote: Poor little snowflake.

How about Snog/Marry/Avoid instead? That’s the game Mrs Jakey plays with the present squad.

Yet another nasty, and supposedly humourous comment from you. Well presumably you think your comments are funny.

Over the last few seasons, I've noticed fewer comments on threads both pre-match and post-match, and many of those that do are negative and nasty.

This message board is no fun anymore. Positivity and 'nice'comments are mocked.

You can say anything you like about me from now on. Thrown my toys out of the pram. Slammed the door after me. Etc etc
Keep them coming. I won't be here to read them.

Congratulations to all at Ross County on a super sucdessful season.

(05-01-2019, 05:13 PM)It's Only A Game Wrote: Yet another nasty, and supposedly humourous comment from you. Well presumably you think your comments are funny.

Over the last few seasons, I've noticed fewer comments on threads both pre-match and post-match, and many of those that do are negative and nasty.

This message board is no fun anymore. Positivity and 'nice'comments are mocked.

You can say anything you like about me from now on. Thrown my toys out of the pram. Slammed the door after me. Etc etc
Keep them coming. I won't be here to read them.

Congratulations to all at Ross County on a super sucdessful season.

The internet is a scary place huh? I’m sorry if I upset you, it just seems such a completely ridiculous thing that you got upset about in the first place. Football is cut throat, and the managers are probably having the same discussion we are, albeit in a closed door environment.

I think Ketts and Ferg are more than aware that we require more than what we've shown over this season if we're to succeed in the top flight. Football is a dog eat dog world, they can't afford to relax for even a second or we'll be struggling.

Fox- keep, 1st choice
Munro- keep, 3rd choice/development keeper

Fraser - keep, starting rb/cb
Watson- keep, starting rb/cb
Morris- keep, back up cb
Boyle- get rid and thanks for the help
Grivosti-keep, back up cb/development
Fontaine- keep, starting cb
Semple- keep, back up cb/loan out
Vdw- keep, back up lb
Kelly- get rid and thanks for the help

Draper-keep, starting cdm
Lindsay- keep, starting cm
Spence-keep, back up
Cowie-keep, back up/coach
Vigurs- keep, starting cm
Paton -keep, loan out
Mullen- keep, starting rm
Midge- keep, back up winger
Armstrong-keep, loan out
DKD- keep, back up winger

Stewart -keep, back up
McKay-keep, starting st
Graham-keep, back up
McManus- get rid and thanks for the help

(05-03-2019, 11:07 PM)Monthestaggies98 Wrote: Fox- keep, 1st choice
Munro- keep, 3rd choice/development keeper

Fraser - keep, starting rb/cb
Watson- keep, starting rb/cb
Morris- keep, back up cb
Boyle- get rid and thanks for the help
Grivosti-keep, back up cb/development
Fontaine- keep, starting cb
Semple- keep, back up cb/loan out
Vdw- keep, back up lb
Kelly- get rid and thanks for the help

Draper-keep, starting cdm
Lindsay- keep, starting cm
Spence-keep, back up
Cowie-keep, back up/coach
Vigurs- keep, starting cm
Paton -keep, loan out
Mullen- keep, starting rm
Midge- keep, back up winger
Armstrong-keep, loan out
DKD- keep, back up winger

Stewart -keep, back up
McKay-keep, starting st
Graham-keep, back up
McManus- get rid and thanks for the help

Agree with all except midge, our most creative player and if it wasn’t for Mullin then he’d be POTS. Armstrong today was fantastic too as well as every time I’ve seen him

Just catching up with The Terrace from Friday evening and Shaughan McGuigan was making the point that even though the achievements have been great, it's hard to say that the team have. He mentioned that the team have found it hard to dominate teams, and over the course of the season County rarely played well for a full 90 minutes.

He went onto say that after he had a look at the side, he thought improvements needed to be made in the following positions:

GK
CB
Two fullbacks
CM
AM
ST

Joel Sked went onto say that when you look at the team, going into the Premiership if it stayed the same, it didn't have much chance of staying there. Craig Fowler agreed with the point that a midfield three of Vigurs, Lindsay and Draper (not that it has been a three we have seen often) would have him waking up most nights in a cold sweat.

Certainly couldn't disagree with their views, if you can take off the Ross County specs for a few moments, this season hasn't been the best on the park. There have been numerous games where you have been left wondering how we've managed to get away with three points when the side has played abjectly for either half.

I just hope that we can look further than 15 miles down the A9 for inspiration when we are signing players.

(05-05-2019, 04:59 PM)LauchlansLeftBoot Wrote: Just catching up with The Terrace from Friday evening and Shaughan McGuigan was making the point that even though the achievements have been great, it's hard to say that the team have. He mentioned that the team have found it hard to dominate teams, and over the course of the season County rarely played well for a full 90 minutes.

He went onto say that after he had a look at the side, he thought improvements needed to be made in the following positions:

GK
CB
Two fullbacks
CM
AM
ST

Joel Sked went onto say that when you look at the team, going into the Premiership if it stayed the same, it didn't have much chance of staying there. Craig Fowler agreed with the point that a midfield three of Vigurs, Lindsay and Draper (not that it has been a three we have seen often) would have him waking up most nights in a cold sweat.

Certainly couldn't disagree with their views, if you can take off the Ross County specs for a few moments, this season hasn't been the best on the park. There have been numerous games where you have been left wondering how we've managed to get away with three points when the side has played abjectly for either half.

I just hope that we can look further than 15 miles down the A9 for inspiration when we are signing players.

I think Vigurs, Draper and Lindsay could be more than competitive in the top flight. Bit of everything there.

It’s hard to judge, but I’d take this squad to finish above Hamilton and St Mirren over the course of a season.

Centre half will be Donaldson. Great signing. Definitely need fullbacks and a number 10. Probably a striker as well.