Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Ross County v Partick Thistle Sat 9th Sept
Draper may not be box to box but he does have the happy knack of being in the right place at the right time and wins a lot of ball. And retains it.

We played pretty well yesterday, and started brilliantly, but I am looking forward to that starting team with Fox, O'Brien and Mckay replacing McCarey, Routis and Mikkelson. I reckon that would be our strongest line up with some good options on the bench.

Great start using both wings getting balls into danger area– but unfortunately no takers.

Then Partick seem to wake up and start to fight back, we panic a bit and resort to the old favourite of humping it high to Curran and now Mikklesen so both could fall over and claim for fouls – some even justified.

Big and encouraging difference when Mackay and Schalk replaced them as the ball was then played mostly on the ground. Pity was that by then DKD was tiring, although he and Midge did manage a few good balls in. Pity his legs went from him as he drove for goal late on, that would have brought the house down!

Much to keep us positive - although injuries, especially to Davies, are a concern.

Let’s hope Celtic are exhausted next weekend  after PSG on Tuesday

(09-10-2017, 08:41 AM)john@THHP Wrote: It's good to have attacking impetus down the left as well as the right now. We can't rely on Gardyne to do everything. 

I was really impressed by Draper.  Not only did he win just about all his own duels, the tackles and interceptions high up the pitch meant the team could turn the screw a little bit more.  Not to mention a couple of really important blocks that he made around his own box.  I thought he was MOTM.

I thought the team didn't do too badly, all in all.  The team began to run out of ideas when Thistle dropped deep and I think Mckay for Mikkelsen should have happened ten minutes sooner.  Schalk had an impact too but Mckay is a clever player and a real threat - I'm looking forward to him getting the service that the strikers got in the first half.

Two concerns are with Kelly's confidence and what happens when Davies is absent.

Can't argue with any of that.

Had to leave at 4.15 (Inverness Military Tattoo - excellent) and up until then DKD was the shining light.
Draper looked better and sounds like Mckay an impact.

Hopefully the injuries clear up in time for the Hibs game, not too bothered about the Celtic game next week.

There was a wee spell when Draper fell out of the game (mostly due to us punting it for Mikklesen and Curran) but when we tried to play football he was very impressive. He's starting to look like someone worth £100k in the middle.

I also had forgotten when Partick's left back (I think) won the ball down by their corner flag and wanted to play it out of trouble only for Draper to rumble towards him like a steamroller. He absolutely crapped it and punted it into the east stand.

Someone please tell McScarey that he's allowed to catch the ball when someone shoots.

I thought Draper didn't look too clever in the first half but improved markedly after the break. I like Routis, but he was poor. Hoofing the ball to Mikkelsen and Curran isn't going to yield much success, but McKay and Schalk looked decent and give me some hope of seeing a few goals.

It was somewhat perplexing to see us punting so often when we had two proper wingers on the pitch, a rarity under McIntyre. Surely the fullbacks should have been more involved in the build up? Still, getting a point when the ref gave 155 wrong decisions is pretty damn good.

I'd completely forgotten that DKD has one cleared nearly off the line by a Partick defender.

(09-10-2017, 07:26 PM)Escalon Wrote: Someone please tell McScarey that he's allowed to catch the ball when someone shoots.

I thought Draper didn't look too clever in the first half but improved  markedly after the break. I like Routis, but he was poor. Hoofing the ball to Mikkelsen and Curran isn't going to yield much success, but McKay and Schalk looked decent and give me some hope of seeing a few goals.

It was somewhat perplexing to see us punting so often when we had two proper wingers on the pitch, a rarity under McIntyre. Surely the fullbacks should have been more involved in the build up? Still, getting a point when the ref gave 155 wrong decisions is pretty damn good.
Catching the ball when it was like a bar of soap,don't think so.
I thought he dealt with everything that came his way competently,considering there was long phases of play when he wasn't involved .

(09-10-2017, 08:45 PM)tattiedave Wrote: Catching the ball when it was like a bar of soap,don't think so.
I thought he dealt with everything that came his way competently,considering there was long phases of play when he wasn't involved .

To be fair Foxy probably would have caught those balls.  But batting them out and away from goal is also acceptable, especially if you are trying not to make a clanger which may get you dropped.

Do we think Fox has now served his sentence, or is McCarey now the man in possession?

(09-10-2017, 08:44 AM)Wicky Wrote: Draper may not be box to box but he does have the happy knack of being in the right place at the right time and wins a lot of ball.  And retains it.  

We played pretty well yesterday, and started brilliantly, but I am looking forward to that starting team with Fox, O'Brien and Mckay replacing McCarey,  Routis and Mikkelson.  I reckon that would be our strongest line up with some good options on the bench.

For me Id like to keep Mickelson in the team and drop Curran - Curran works hard but the ball doesn't stick - think Mickelson was pretty impressive in the game and would like to see him with McKay who I thought looked strong and that still gives us Schalk and Curran for tiring defences late in the game

Wasn't at the game but it looked from the highlights that we played very well. Hard to examine a game properly by highlights. Looks like we were quite unlucky. Should really have won the game with the chances i saw. Mikkelsen had 2, McKay had a good one too. DKD had one cleared off the line also.

Not really a fan of McCarey. He always palms it away for some reason? Why was he in goal? Fox dropped or injured?

Draper and McKay looked impressive and DKD again looked brilliant.

(09-10-2017, 09:46 PM)Wicky Wrote: To be fair Foxy probably would have caught those balls.  But batting them out and away from goal is also acceptable, especially if you are trying not to make a clanger which may get you dropped.

Do we think Fox has now served his sentence, or is McCarey now the man in possession?

I'd have Fox straight back in. 

On McCarey punches/saves. Fine to do that but push them to the side if possible not straight back out. 

I think McCarey is a very decent back up but Fox is better all round. 

Thought it was harsh to drop him but it may be a masterstroke. Fox now knows he needs to be top of his game in every game or there is a very able replacement and a manager who isn't afraid to use him!

Watched what highlights was on telly and the Partick player who took throw in when they scored
1. Did a foul throw
2. Took it three yards further up the pitch
Tackle on Gardyne was not shown
Schalk and Mckay look a real threat
Ref was nothing short of pathetic

I was told that the pyro was ICT fans that have been banned from there I hope they get banned from us

(09-11-2017, 12:05 PM)County Lad Wrote: Watched what highlights was on telly and the Partick player who took throw in when they scored
1. Did a foul throw
2. Took it three yards further up the pitch
Tackle on Gardyne was not shown
Schalk and Mckay look a real threat
Ref was nothing short of pathetic

We are not Celtic no excuses ,

(09-11-2017, 11:42 AM)jamiepscot Wrote: I'd have Fox straight back in. 

On McCarey punches/saves. Fine to do that but push them to the side if possible not straight back out. 

I think McCarey is a very decent back up but Fox is better all round. 

Thought it was harsh to drop him but it may be a masterstroke. Fox now knows he needs to be top of his game in every game or there is a very able replacement and a manager who isn't afraid to use him!

Agreed on all counts with Foxy.