Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Ross County vs Aberdeen
(08-12-2017, 05:05 PM)frankthetank Wrote: It was a back three of Fraser Davies VDW, Naismith and Gardyne wingbacks.

Disappointing to lose, although probably the better team won but we could/should have had a second goal before ht and had a few chances near the end.

They had more than their share of chances too but we should have scored a second goal.

Jim O'Brien's thunderbolt off the bar, what a ping!
Aberdeen are comfortably the second best team in the league.  I'm not too downbeat.

Although we had a few chances and O'Brien's belter against the bar, we were well beaten by a better team. They didn't create too many chances but were much better than us in midfield. They looked like a unit and we didn't. Maybe it was a mistake to play Draper so soon after signing because he didn't have a great game and didn't seem to know what he was supposed to be doing. Midge was ace first half but hardly figured second half - also muscled out of it on the line by their full back for the second goal. The jury's still out on Lindsay but to be fair Aberdeen were so strong in midfield. Routis the same. O'Brien came on but until the last 10 minutes didn;t do much either. Keiller-Dunn has the potential. We need to settle on a midfield and get them playing together. It is early days I suppose.

If it's a choice of striker between Schalk and Curran, the latter would be my choice..

The real test will be against other teams in the league as Aberdeen will surely finish above us. Great support for them too and great revenue for us - a crowd of 5,900 made for a good atmosphere.

We were the better side for 20 minutes, then all Aberdeen.

Midfield still not working.

Yeah Draper not living up to his billing as midfield silver bullet yet, hopefully he'll come good. Any idea why Chow and Kelly were completely missing from the squad? As said above, I'm not too bothered by losing to Aberdeen, should be the second best team in Scotland again.

Draper did okay, thought he tried but got little help around him, Lindsay was very poor today, got caught far too often.

Despot
The only issue I have with Kelly is that he seems a bit like Kenny when he first came here, isn't seriously slow but doesn't get to full speed quickly and a tricky winger can escape his clutches (Cadden did it a number of times) and he struggles to get back. You just don't see that from Naismith's side, he's so solid.

Naismith looked two years short of pace today ,Marcus. Midge Curran looked players on a mission als nombscking Routis should never have been on big Draper is definitely very unfit ,

(08-12-2017, 06:40 PM)Despot Wrote: We were the better side for 20 minutes, then all Aberdeen.

Midfield still not working.

Did we make it to 20 minutes ,I agree with you "then all,Aberdeen I am of a mind that there is players there needing to express themselves. Coach needs looked at just an opinion

(08-12-2017, 08:59 PM)Ross shire buff Wrote: Coach needs looked at just an opinion

Are we really starting this already?

(08-12-2017, 09:25 PM)Rocco Wrote: Are we really starting this already?

Yes it was nearly too late last year ,it is my beliefe that there are players there who can do a job 
But need a different coach to get it out of the players , I'm willing county to be good I'm willing Jim to be good  his formations amaze me ,how He kept Obrien as a sub when he should have been on from start 
Routis needs a word in ear

Mcinnes undoubtedly won the tactical battle. On Sportsound prior to kick off the Dons manager confirmed he'd anticipated a 3 man defence and had set up accordingly.. They stifled us trying to play from the back without a target man to hold the ball up and we rarely turned their defence. Second half nothing changed Aberdeen dictated the play and we appeared to be relying on a Warburtonesque plan B.

(08-12-2017, 07:33 PM)Rocco Wrote: Yeah Draper not living up to his billing as midfield silver bullet yet, hopefully he'll come good. Any idea why Chow and Kelly were completely missing from the squad? As said above, I'm not too bothered by losing to Aberdeen, should be the second best team in Scotland again.

Chow took a head knock against Motherwell in midweek and I am not sure about Kelly

(08-12-2017, 10:30 PM)Strathpefferstaggie Wrote: Chow took a head knock against Motherwell in midweek and I am not sure about Kelly

Thanks, wasn't at the midweek game so forgot about Chow going off early on injured!

Reality check time.  Aberdeen are a better team than us.  They have better players and will be challenging for a position higher up the league than us. To lose to the odd goal in three is not a disaster, simply according to form.  It would have been nice to win, or even for O'Brien's shot to dip under the bar for a point, but it didn't happen today.

Our three at the back was really five at the back when we were defending, and Gardyne against the spring heeled Logan was always going to be a mismatch if Aberdeen could find the right cross.  GMS managed exactly that, and we paid the price.  But it was a risk worth taking.  We could have had Kelly providing a more solid defence, but something would have had to give elsewhere on the pitch.

And the fact of the matter is that we scored when Routis was on the pitch, and didn't when he was off.  He adds something to our attack.  It would be good if we had a player who could add what he does and do all of the other things which he doesn't (and doesn't do all of the things he does badly), but we don't.  It's incorrect to suggest that Jim doesn't see those shortcomings - he is in Routis's ear all of the time.  But he was one of several players who looked as if they had played extra time on Wednesday, and the swap for O'Brien was a good one.

Meantime I thought Draper had a good debut.  And I am looking forward to Mckay joining the mix.

No issue with the reality check Wicky but here's an ambition check .. Were we not one of the few sides last season to take a point from the Champions who finished 30 points ahead of this mob ?

Our three rarely took on any semblance of the five you highlight from where I was sitting. GMS had the freedom of the wide area first half in particular. We looked a side in transition against a decent side in SPFL terms so hopefully better to come.

An excellent first 15 minutes but thereafter Aberdeen the better side by a considerable margin. Will be astonished though if Aberdeen are not second at season's end so no disgrace in defeat today. Thought Davies was a lot more hesitant than normal and there were several near things at the back when trying to play out from the keeper. Draper started well but faded and O Brien similarly started well when he came on but then struggled before having a storming last ten. Apart from short spells after half time and in the closing minutes we were overrun in midfield .
Schalk had a real chance shortly after half time when bursting through but opted not to go for goal, hesitated and passed sideways, then Mikklesen , who as others have said appears out of his depth at this level, missed a sitter before O Brien's effort which must have nearly burst the crossbar.
Curran impressed throughout and I thought Van Der Weg had a good match as well.
Keillor-Dunn was a threat when he came on but was caught in possession on a couple of occasions in dangerous areas. For next week think O' Brien must start alongside Draper who will have had a bit more time to bed in .

(08-12-2017, 11:46 PM)Briasda Wrote: No issue with the reality check Wicky but here's an ambition check .. Were we not one of the few sides last season to take a point from the Champions who finished 30 points ahead of this mob ?

Our three rarely took on any semblance of the five you highlight from where I was sitting. GMS had the freedom of the wide area first half in particular. We looked a side in transition against a decent side in SPFL terms so hopefully better to come.

Nothing wrong with an ambition check either.  There will be days when we take points off Aberdeen, but today was not one of them and I am not going to beat myself or anyone else up because of that. 

And going five at the back must have been pretty obvious or I would not have spotted it!  In fact I thought one of the problems was that we went 5 at the back almost too readily, allowing GMS and Logan to pick up the ball and run at us.  But I am just guessing, albeit enthusiastically.

Impossible to argue with Wicky's assessment of the game.
That Aberdeen squad is the strongest non OF squad in over 25 years IMO. (Relative to the rest of the league)

Dissapointing. First 10-15 minutes were excellent and Aberdeen couldnt get a look in as we closed them down and worked really hard. Then it all changed and Aberdeen got a foot hold and the tide turned.
Second half we were just second best. More composure on the ball was required which I felt we lacked.
WDDDWWWWWWWWWDDDWDDDWWWWDWWDWD
CHAMPS
WWDWWDDDWDD
40 UNBEATEN

Mikkelsen didn't miss a sitter, the Aberdeen centre half got to the ball first and knocked it off his shin, it was great defending rather than a poor miss, but Mikkelsen is looking more and more like Brian Graham MKII. He's got ball skills but is not a header winner target man.

(08-12-2017, 09:36 PM)Ross shire buff Wrote: Yes it was nearly too late last year ,it is my beliefe that there are players there who can do a job 
But need a different coach to get it out of the players , I'm willing county to be good I'm willing Jim to be good  his formations amaze me ,how He kept Obrien as a sub when he should have been on from start 
Routis needs a word in ear

The 3-5-2 Formation is fine, we have the same amount of points as The Rangers Football Club. And they've spent millions. Draper shouldnt have started, had at most 2 training days with squad before playing.

Agree with O'Brien, should be on from the start.

I'm amused by the idea that Draper isn't fit. He's been playing week in, week out for ICT since the start of the season.