Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ross County v Manchester Utd friendly 1970's
The other day I picked up an old footie programme in the local charity shop.It was for a friendly match played between County and Man utd .There's no date on it but I think early 70's .Does anyone remember this match .What was the score .Is this programme a rarity ??

(06-04-2017, 10:46 PM)DonMz Wrote: The other day I picked up an old footie programme in the local charity shop.It was for a friendly match played between County and Man utd .There's no date on it but I think early 70's .Does anyone remember this match .What was the score .Is this programme a rarity ??

Now then!  I think it was 1973, played on a Saturday night, I think it was to avoid clashing with the Strath Games? could be wrong, but! people did think about these issues back in the early seventies,  (petty the SFA could not think like that today) score was 2-0 to Manchester United.
Tommy Docherty was the manager of Utd, he went round the local schools and did some football talks.
I can't remember the line up that night, but they would have allowed few young local lads to play, come on as subs.
Typical team that season was : Eddie Pryce, Dennis Cumming, Colin Brett, Gordon Seaton, Stan Sokolowski, Jack Lornie, George Urquhart, Jim Fleming, Jim Savage, Alan Gray and Jim Hosie, Donnie Bain.
Jim Lynas  floated between County and Caley, not sure if he played.
Young subs/second team players in those days would be Tommy Tulloch, James Mutch, Roddy Maciver, Don Noble, Billy Murray, Davie Sinclair.

(06-05-2017, 01:18 AM)Harry Gow Pie Staggie Wrote: Now then!  I think it was 1973, played on a Saturday night, I think it was to avoid clashing with the Strath Games? could be wrong, but! people did think about these issues back in the early seventies,  (petty the SFA could not think like that today) score was 2-0 to Manchester United.
Tommy Docherty was the manager of Utd, he went round the local schools and did some football talks.
I can't remember the line up that night, but they would have allowed few young local lads to play, come on as subs.
Typical team that season was : Eddie Pryce, Dennis Cumming, Colin Brett, Gordon Seaton, Stan Sokolowski, Jack Lornie, George Urquhart, Jim Fleming, Jim Savage, Alan Gray and Jim Hosie, Donnie Bain.
Jim Lynas  floated between County and Caley, not sure if he played.
Young subs/second team players in those days would be Tommy Tulloch, James Mutch, Roddy Maciver, Don Noble, Billy Murray, Davie Sinclair.

I was hoping for a home win -thanks for the info .Wonder if there's many of these programmes still in existence -only cost me 50p anyhow

(06-05-2017, 06:39 AM)DonMz Wrote: I was hoping for a home win -thanks for the info .Wonder if there's many of these programmes still in existence -only cost me 50p anyhow

I'll give you £1 for it. Double your money!!  Tongue

Almost certain James Garrow from Maryburgh played in the match.

(06-05-2017, 11:04 AM)gujeecof Wrote: Almost certain James Garrow from Maryburgh played in the match.

There was. James Garow, Jimmy Garrow, centre forward played for County, born and bred Simpson Place Dingwall. His father was another football man, trainer/player with clubs, Dingwall Thistle.
I imagine it is Jimmy Garrow painter, no doubt his family will correct the details.

(06-05-2017, 06:39 AM)DonMz Wrote: I was hoping for a home win -thanks for the info .Wonder if there's many of these programmes still in existence -only cost me 50p anyhow

You were ripped off my copy cost me 5p,that was back in 1973 right enough  
Programme no 1043 so quite a lot printed I'd have thought

Seriously though one member of this forum paid £154 for one 12 years ago
And one seen on eBay 8 year ago for £132

(06-05-2017, 01:20 PM)Dalneigh Gypo Wrote: You were ripped off my copy cost me 5p,that was back in 1973 right enough  

I believe 1500 were printed, an initial 1000 then an extra 500. 

I think that one you mentioned on eBay was copy 4 or 5. One of the first ones anyway.

Also from memory, there was one for a time in the Scottish Football Museum, not sure if it is still there.

(06-05-2017, 01:20 PM)Dalneigh Gypo Wrote: You were ripped off my copy cost me 5p,that was back in 1973 right enough  

Dalneigh, If memory serves me the attendance was around 4,500, with several hundred Man Utd supporters there.
Was the game held on the Saturday night, due to a clash wit the Strath games? I remember the Strath Games were a big event in those days, horse racing was included, can't remember his full name, Hugh ? used to be head off house Of Fraser, was a regular competitor. Not long after that, the Strath games date was changed to early August.
The Buff might remember.

(06-04-2017, 10:46 PM)DonMz Wrote: The other day I picked up an old footie programme in the local charity shop.It was for a friendly match played between County and Man utd .There's no date on it but I think early 70's .Does anyone remember this match .What was the score .Is this programme a rarity ??

thanks to all for the info on this ( guess i'll be hanging onto it now in case it makes my fortune !)

(06-05-2017, 05:44 PM)DonMz Wrote: thanks to all for the info on this ( guess i'll be hanging onto it now in case it makes my fortune !)

Brian Kidd scored both goals

(06-05-2017, 01:56 PM)Harry Gow Pie Staggie Wrote: Dalneigh, If memory serves me the attendance was around 4,500, with several hundred Man Utd supporters there.
Was the game held on the Saturday night, due to a clash wit the Strath games? I remember the Strath Games were a big event in those days, horse racing was included, can't remember his full name, Hugh ? used to be head off house Of Fraser, was a regular competitor. Not long after that, the Strath games date was changed to early August.
The Buff might remember.

Saturday night  Tommy docherty was MU manager ,was not at game ,on my way home from Germany 
But delighted Donnie Bain Stan sowkoloski. Were in county squad  James garrow too 
Anyone who kniws the Bear ask about me ,I used to take himself Stanley Johnny buch  James  B much  James Kenny  ,there was a wee field at old school ,principle wasbuild their stamina  make them hardy  Bear can tell you ,never pulled out of a tackle and wouldn't let them either ,whoever lost ball had to win it back , this was EVERY night of week ,very sore going to work.in mornings ,Eddie Price worked for me at Nigg very good plater he was ,and nobody s mug  good guy as they all were  ,

(06-08-2017, 09:22 PM)Ross shire buff Wrote: Saturday night  Tommy docherty was MU manager ,was not at game ,on my way home from Germany 
But delighted Donnie Bain Stan sowkoloski. Were in county squad  James garrow too 
Anyone who kniws the Bear ask about me ,I used to take himself Stanley Johnny buch  James  B much  James Kenny  ,there was a wee field at old school ,principle wasbuild their stamina  make them hardy  Bear can tell you ,never pulled out of a tackle and wouldn't let them either ,whoever lost ball had to win it back , this was EVERY night of week ,very sore going to work.in mornings ,Eddie Price worked for me at Nigg very good plater he was ,and nobody s mug  good guy as they all were  ,

Buff!   Think it was Paul Kenny?, he was the footballer, James was an older brother, played a wee bit, but not to Highland League level.

(06-09-2017, 12:13 AM)Harry Gow Pie Staggie Wrote: Buff!   Think it was Paul Kenny?, he was the footballer, James was an older brother, played a wee bit, but not to Highland League level.

Harry Gow you are  right ,but Every loon about was  up in that park, like to think I made men of them , 
James come to think of it was always last picked and made goalkeeper ,he was good sport just laughed 
Jimmy waddles  late jock Clark  were others out of many to remember