Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
County v Killie 11/3/17
(03-12-2017, 08:13 PM)Ross shire buff Wrote: Ha ha delighted with your reply you have now proved to me you have no knowledge of beautiful,game and you are humerless  no offence mate, I don't take offence lol

I'm joking  elcignito having fun no offence taken ever life's too short ,sorry you don't get my drift 
Harry goes pies good charachter good craic ,we gave we have the craic

Apologies for the tl;dr and slightly incoherent post.

Two concerning points over the past few days:

1. McIntyre mentioning about how the players struggle to get motivated for games against the "lesser" clubs in this division. Presumably that means any club outwith the "Big Four". The manager should be able to motivate the players, that's part of his job. Any lack of motivation falls at his door. Good results against Hearts (5/9), Rangers (3/9), and Aberdeen (3/9) are crucial, but taking into the games against Celtic the % of points taken vs. the Top 4, vs. the % of points taken against the rest of the league is remarkably similar.
  2. Passing the buck onto "individual errors" is frustrating. A handful of calamitous errors will happen but there seems to be at least one every other game. How many goals have been lost through errors? Nothing appears to have been done to rectify this. Seems like a convenient excuse to just say "yeah, well, individual mistakes" after yet another defeat.
I've not been to many games this season (<6) but from what I've read online (here, Twitter, P&B, Facebook, etc), what I've heard from those who have attended games, and from what I've seen from highlights, the same problems occur week after week.

The midfield is rubbish. Jackson Irvine and his box-to-box running hasn't been replaced, the midfield seems very lethargic without him. County's big problem when Lawson left was the absence of a deep lying midfielder, ready to pick up the ball from the defence (there's an argument that he was never replaced). Irvine offered constant running, which sometimes let Woods be Woods: he's not great at tracking back and prefers to play further up the park. The centre of midfield seems really unbalanced. I'm not sure McIntyre knows what his best pairing is (and if he can't see this then there's no hope). 

The defence is hopeless. Davies is an absolute rock at the back, we'd be doomed already without him. Fraser's strongest position seems to be CB, as opposed to RB. Paul Quinn hasn't been the player he was in his first spell, ever since he's returned he's looked error prone. McEveley has solid performances but then follows them up with absolute horror shows - he's too error prone unfortunately. Naismith looks a good find but I remain unconvinced by VdW.

The formation/starting XI decisions this season have been baffling. When the team had no decent wingers McIntyre persisted with 4-4-2. Then we sign two decent wingers in O'Brien and Lalkovic, he goes with Boyce out wide and then follows it up with a back 5? I don't see the logic.

Boyce is comfortably one of the best players in the league. He'd improve every squad. There's certainly a justification for playing him as a #10 but not at the expense of his goalscoring. It's too the detriment of the team that he's playing slightly deeper. 

The summer was Adams-esque. Abysmal recruitment, with the Davies/McEveley fiasco apparently leaving County without the money to strengthen other areas. The situation with Boyd, if rumours are to be believed, was disappointing. Punting Foster and Graham on free transfers was baffling. Signing an excellent right-back in Cikos, then not playing him, was even more baffling. The League Cup defence set the tone for the season ahead and the problems County had then are still present now. The squad is bloated and too many players either aren't good enough or aren't pulling their weight. That said, there is the basis for a top six squad already here.

Tbh, McIntyre's tenure has been characterised by these long runs of poor results. Two great runs - the one at the end of his first seasons, and the League Cup run - seem to carry a lot of weight but the performances and results have been rubbish for the most part. 11 league wins since the start of 2016 (45 league games) is dreadful.

It's not been all bad. There's been some terrific performances and results. A League Cup win as well. The arrival of Ross Hughes seems to have been a good thing as well.

I'm not sure if now is the time to change managers but I don't think he should be here next season.

(03-12-2017, 09:33 PM)StrathyStaggie Wrote: Apologies for the tl;dr and slightly incoherent post.

Two concerning points over the past few days:

1. McIntyre mentioning about how the players struggle to get motivated for games against the "lesser" clubs in this division. Presumably that means any club outwith the "Big Four". The manager should be able to motivate the players, that's part of his job. Any lack of motivation falls at his door. Good results against Hearts (5/9), Rangers (3/9), and Aberdeen (3/9) are crucial, but taking into the games against Celtic the % of points taken vs. the Top 4, vs. the % of points taken against the rest of the league is remarkably similar.
  2. Passing the buck onto "individual errors" is frustrating. A handful of calamitous errors will happen but there seems to be at least one every other game. How many goals have been lost through errors? Nothing appears to have been done to rectify this. Seems like a convenient excuse to just say "yeah, well, individual mistakes" after yet another defeat.
I've not been to many games this season (<6) but from what I've read online (here, Twitter, P&B, Facebook, etc), what I've heard from those who have attended games, and from what I've seen from highlights, the same problems occur week after week.

The midfield is rubbish. Jackson Irvine and his box-to-box running hasn't been replaced, the midfield seems very lethargic without him. County's big problem when Lawson left was the absence of a deep lying midfielder, ready to pick up the ball from the defence (there's an argument that he was never replaced). Irvine offered constant running, which sometimes let Woods be Woods: he's not great at tracking back and prefers to play further up the park. The centre of midfield seems really unbalanced. I'm not sure McIntyre knows what his best pairing is (and if he can't see this then there's no hope). 

The defence is hopeless. Davies is an absolute rock at the back, we'd be doomed already without him. Fraser's strongest position seems to be CB, as opposed to RB. Paul Quinn hasn't been the player he was in his first spell, ever since he's returned he's looked error prone. McEveley has solid performances but then follows them up with absolute horror shows - he's too error prone unfortunately. Naismith looks a good find but I remain unconvinced by VdW.

The formation/starting XI decisions this season have been baffling. When the team had no decent wingers McIntyre persisted with 4-4-2. Then we sign two decent wingers in O'Brien and Lalkovic, he goes with Boyce out wide and then follows it up with a back 5? I don't see the logic.

Boyce is comfortably one of the best players in the league. He'd improve every squad. There's certainly a justification for playing him as a #10 but not at the expense of his goalscoring. It's too the detriment of the team that he's playing slightly deeper. 

The summer was Adams-esque. Abysmal recruitment, with the Davies/McEveley fiasco apparently leaving County without the money to strengthen other areas. The situation with Boyd, if rumours are to be believed, was disappointing. Punting Foster and Graham on free transfers was baffling. Signing an excellent right-back in Cikos, then not playing him, was even more baffling. The League Cup defence set the tone for the season ahead and the problems County had then are still present now. The squad is bloated and too many players either aren't good enough or aren't pulling their weight. That said, there is the basis for a top six squad already here.

Tbh, McIntyre's tenure has been characterised by these long runs of poor results. Two great runs - the one at the end of his first seasons, and the League Cup run - seem to carry a lot of weight but the performances and results have been rubbish for the most part. 11 league wins since the start of 2016 (45 league games) is dreadful.

It's not been all bad. There's been some terrific performances and results. A League Cup win as well. The arrival of Ross Hughes seems to have been a good thing as well.

I'm not sure if now is the time to change managers but I don't think he should be here next season.

Firstly, you don't have to apologise for Buff's posts!  Tongue

I agree with most of your post, especially the last point. Give JM till the end of the season, it would be totally wrong to bring in a new manager whilst fighting relegation.
JM could have no complaints if the hammer does fall as this is his squad and we have not improved despite a greatly increased budget. It's pretty obvious Roy sees us as a top 6 team and has provided the money/backing to achieve this.
The team have let JM down but he's signed the majority of them so ...............

(03-13-2017, 09:22 AM)jamiepscot Wrote: Firstly, you don't have to apologise for Buff's posts!  Tongue

I agree with most of your post, especially the last point. Give JM till the end of the season, it would be totally wrong to bring in a new manager whilst fighting relegation.
JM could have no complaints if the hammer does fall as this is his squad and we have not improved despite a greatly increased budget. It's pretty obvious Roy sees us as a top 6 team and has provided the money/backing to achieve this.
The team have let JM down but he's signed the majority of them so ...............

The danger was always there !! He was. Experimenting with Ross County no interest shown towards community no interest in youth no interest in county support)  Old buff knows a good yin when he sees one and this is no good yin, he has wasted our money and time ,need to get support interested again 
A manager who wants to be in highlands and players who play for jersey , even if words not spelt correct even if Grammar not perfect. The meaning should be clear , actually I've got highers in spelling and English  !! Honest ! As sure as Deas s pies are best !

Same old story. Batter some of these teams at home and they go and get the winner out of nothing.

What the heck was Quinn doing for the winner?!

(03-13-2017, 12:07 PM)CraigyStaggie Wrote: Same old story. Batter some of these teams at home and they go and get the winner out of nothing.

What the heck was Quinn doing for the winner?!

Our centre backs cost us the game, Kilmarnock's goals were both easily avoided.

Fraser was bullied by Boyd for both goals (too small/lightweight for a centre back?) and Quinn looked lost on the left side.

Thought we played well most of the game saturday. Last season we won a few games where we were the worst team, it happened to us this weekend.

I'm still struggling with substitution decisions. I thought that Curran was playing well, and Midge was okay. The subs didn't appear to offer anything extra, rather, they broke the flow of our game as they 9and the team) adjusted to different players.

I'm in two minds about getting rid of the management team. Be careful what you wish for, as many clubs have found out to their cost (St. mirren...); however, at then end of the saeson, it may be the right time to shake hands and say thanks very much.

This Saturday is the proverbial 6 pointer. we need as many as possible there shouting their lungs out (in support!).

(03-11-2017, 11:01 AM)john@THHP Wrote: Either we stick to the 3-4-1-2 shape as against Hearts and Aberdeen, in which chase Kenny will tuck in to be the left centre back beside Davies and Fraser, with Gardyne as the left wing back

I think Jim will want to keep the system that worked to to some degree away from home. Is it conducive to the proactive style of football that County will be expected to play at home vs Killie?

You were right, albeit with Quinn in for Davies but no one could have predicted that.

Thumbs Down 
Re Midge: he looked very sore from a back injury shortly before going off. Probably why his substitution.

The two goals we conceded were jaw-droopingly awful to gift a team that created nothing. County made a good number of decent chances and things could so easily have been different. But they weren't. Very sore one to take.

I liked Killie's pacey and tricky winger Jordan Jones No.11, and they defended quite well mostly, but otherwise thought the better performances were pretty much all from County players... other than the couple of very generous lapses. Putting out fit central defenders might have helped, as suggested by somebody earlier.

Sad
FergnKetts - BestBossYets

I was actually at this - my first home game since the derby. We were pretty rubbish, and the atmosphere was as poor as I'd been led to believe it's become lately. The Jailend looked about half full, if that. It was really disappointing the team couldn't replicate the same level of performance that was seen against Hearts. Paul Quinn is done at this level, and as pointed out earlier, giving Killie Scott Boyd and enabling them to sign Connor Sammon looks like a particularly short-sighted decision.

On a more positive note, I'm pleased to report the recent criticisms about a decline in the standards of hospitality appear to be unfounded (surprise, surprise). An enjoyable afternoon was had by all in our group, despite the result.