Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
We are the Highlands?
Bit of a controversial one...

What do think folk think of the "We are the Highlands" chant?

I know a few folk who don't like it, but might just hang me out to dry here  Wink
But it seems to have become a bit of an anthem for some, while being really unpopular with others.  
So I'm not having a go at all, just though it worth asking the question.

I'm not a fan myself.  It feels a bit dismissive of the other Highland teams, so I feel a bit arrogant singing it.  
It also invites ridicule from Caley fans, who are obviously based in the capital of the Highlands, have regularly finished above us in the league in recent years, and are the Scottish Cup Holders.  I just feel a bit daft claiming "we are the highlands", dismissing them.
I'm not even really sure what it means...

Its catchy though, I'll admit that!

And I'm sure it must rile up a few rivals, which maybe makes it worthwhile  Smile

Enjoying the other chants coming out, and is always a good craic with the other Central Staggies trying to come up with more!

The slogan doesnt even make sense. Certainly wouldnt ever quote it.

This reminds me the time I started a thread slagging off County fans for doing the bouncy. Didn't go down too well...

http://www.overthebridge.info/showthread...ght=bouncy

But you're right, it's not a great chant. For the reasons you outline, but mostly because it doesn't make sense.

(01-20-2016, 10:35 AM)staggie1746 Wrote: Bit of a controversial one...

I know a few folk who don't like it, but might just hang me out to dry here  Wink
But it seems to have become a bit of an anthem for some, while being really unpopular with others.  

I'm not a fan myself.  It feels a bit dismissive of the other Highland teams, so I feel a bit arrogant singing it.  
It also invites ridicule from Caley fans, who are obviously based in the capital of the Highlands, have regularly finished above us in the league in recent years, and are the Scottish Cup Holders.  I just feel a bit daft claiming "we are the highlands", dismissing them.

And I'm sure it must rile up a few rivals, which maybe makes it worthwhile  Smile

Enjoying the other chants coming out, and is always a good craic with the other Central Staggies trying to come up with more!

Makes perfect sense.
ROSS COUNTY >>
"WE ARE THE HIGHLANDS"
We can sing that if we wish, absolutely no harm in it.

(01-20-2016, 10:35 AM)staggie1746 Wrote: Bit of a controversial one...

I say it at work to annoy my Caley mates!!!!
It's all I've got at the moment so don't take that away too!!

(01-20-2016, 10:56 AM)Forfinn Wrote: This reminds me the time I started a thread slagging off County fans for doing the bouncy.  Didn't go down too well...

http://www.overthebridge.info/showthread...ght=bouncy

That said, we never do the bouncy any more, so maybe my thread had some effect?  Rolleyes

(01-20-2016, 10:57 AM)Harry Gow Pie Staggie Wrote: Makes perfect sense.
ROSS COUNTY >>
"WE ARE THE HIGHLANDS"
We can sing that if we wish, absolutely no harm in it.

Sorry, I dont understand that... Ross County are greater than "We Are the Highlands"?  
I think my maths geek brain is blinding me at the moment...

Totally agree you can sing it if you want, I've sung more than my fair share of chants that folk havent liked!
Just given how polarised opinion seems to be amongst those I know, I thought I'd see if that was the same across more fans.

(01-20-2016, 11:02 AM)jamiepscot Wrote: I say it at work to annoy my Caley mates!!!!
It's all I've got at the moment so don't take that away too!!

Haha! Totally fair mate, can well understand that, enjoy Wink

(01-20-2016, 11:05 AM)Forfinn Wrote: That said, we never do the bouncy any more, so maybe my thread had some effect?  Rolleyes

You MONSTER!!! I liked the bouncy  Angry

EDIT:  Haha! Just read that thread, aye, didnt go down well.  I hope this doesn't go as badly! 

Just to make sure:  sing it if you want, don't sing it if you don't want, I don't care about that.  I've just not known another chant to polarise our fans so much, so got my geek on as I thought it was interesting.

(01-20-2016, 11:22 AM)staggie1746 Wrote: I've sung more than my fair share of chants that folk havent liked!

(01-20-2016, 11:22 AM)staggie1746 Wrote: You MONSTER!!! I liked the bouncy  Angry

[INSERT OBVIOUS OLD FIRM JOKE HERE]

(01-20-2016, 11:26 AM)Forfinn Wrote: [Why shouldn't you run down an Old Firm fan when they are on a bike? 
Cos it's probably your bike ]

Obvious Old Firm Joke Inserted.

Disclaimer for the kids:  do not run down OF fans, or anybody, regardless of whether or not they have your property.
If you needed this explained to you, ask your parents about "empathy" and "psychopaths".

Disclaimer for Forfinn:  I've never associated the bouncey with the Old Firm...

It's certainly less annoying thant the tink's "Pride of the Highlands". Keep seeing sticker everywhere on signs where I live in Millburn...

(01-20-2016, 11:05 AM)Forfinn Wrote: That said, we never do the bouncy any more, so maybe my thread had some effect?  Rolleyes

Nah, there was a brief "bouncy" on Sunday. It didn't last long, thankfully.