Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 37 Votes - 2.73 Average
Speculation thread
Anyone hearing anymore on the rumours linking us with Nicky Clark and Gary Mackay Steven?
Supporter Liaison Officer 

(01-08-2016, 02:49 PM)staggie2509 Wrote: Anyone hearing anymore on the rumours linking us with Nicky Clark and Gary Mackay Steven?

Gary Mackay Steven would be awesome. Nicky Clarke.....a hairdresser would be handy to trim the lads beards!!!

I've heard we're in talks with Greg Kiltie.

(01-08-2016, 04:29 PM)Pete The Jakey Wrote: I've heard we're in talks with Greg Kiltie.

Just signed a new contract with Kilmanock.
Born a highlander always a highlander.Smile

Dan the Man spotted in Jubilee Road at 3 pm today Possible signing...........

..........on the dole

Funny story, not sure if I were Stokes or Celtic you would read this the right way, maybe just media twist or two though:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/35273644

GMS - no thanks. Must spend hours in training practising his diving. Not a team player.

Ross County were last night believed to have joined Hamilton on the trail of Strathspey Thistles  teenage sensation
Josh Peters - after his side crashed 4-1
The Dingwall clubs head of youth Stevie Ferguson attended yesterday's home victory for Lossiemouth against the Grantown side
The talented 19 year old striker who has hit 13 goals already this season for struggling Strathspey, impressed on a week long trial with Accies just before new year
But Jim McIntyre's County could be ready to hijack any move for the ex-Inverness Caley hit kid

Report by Alasdair Fraser

Some mildly disturbing speculation about Boycie moving on? Hope it's poop.

https://t.co/Un1OOcjCvh
He's NOT the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

Rumour has it were after Paul Quinn
http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/ross-...-aberdeen/
No sacrifice no victory 

(01-13-2016, 08:38 PM)Slatefordstag Wrote: Rumour has it were after Paul Quinn
http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/ross-...-aberdeen/

It was mentioned on stv news tonight Slatefordstag.
Born a highlander always a highlander.Smile

(01-13-2016, 07:01 PM)Blinkers Wrote: Some mildly disturbing speculation about Boycie moving on? Hope it's poop.

https://t.co/Un1OOcjCvh

Read it and thankfully it seems like the biggest pile of cow manure!!

Boycee also says in another interview that he's targeting a return in time to be available for the Hampden semi, not the words of a player who has one foot out the door.

Another massive consideration is the imminent European championships. Would he risk leaving a club where he's settled and an automatic 1st choice for an unknown position which in turn would risk his NI selection chances???

Better to stay with us, play in the Euro's, score lots of goals and get a move to a bigger/better club than Bradford city, and securing us a 7 figure transfer fee in the process!!!

(01-10-2016, 12:01 PM)Dalneigh Gypo Wrote: Ross County were last night believed to have joined Hamilton on the trail of Strathspey Thistles  teenage sensation
The Dingwall clubs head of youth Stevie Ferguson attended yesterday's home victory for Lossiemouth against the Grantown side
The talented 19 year old striker who has hit 13 goals already this season for struggling Strathspey, impressed on a week long trial with Accies just before new year
But Jim McIntyre's County could be ready to hijack any move for the ex-Inverness Caley hit kid

County's head of youth Stevie in Portugal with youth team

(01-13-2016, 09:53 PM)murray aberdeen stagg Wrote: It was mentioned on stv news tonight Slatefordstag.

We don't want another 30'year old

(01-10-2016, 01:22 AM)wemyss77 Wrote: Funny story, not sure if I were Stokes or Celtic you would read this the right way, maybe just media twist or two though:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/35273644

Nobody from Inverness I speak to want Stokes anywhere near them happy dressing room plus  no baggage  carriers

(01-10-2016, 12:01 PM)Dalneigh Gypo Wrote: Ross County were last night believed to have joined Hamilton on the trail of Strathspey Thistles  teenage sensation

Spoke to a boy at work who plays Highland League about Josh Peters. He didn't seem to be too impressed by him and thought of him as fairly average for the league.

Saying that though, I think it would be interesting to see what 2 years of full time football would do to him (or any other young part time player). 

Certainly worth a punt on young players in a similar situation if the wages aren't high.

See regarding this "past their best" argument where our squad is "too old" that keeps cropping up:

Players typically reach their peak ages 26-30.
For example: Messi is 28 and Ronaldo is 30, the two best players on the planet.
Yes, they have been for a while, but most say they are constantly improving, i.e. have been getting better as they approach ages 26-30.

Davies is the only player older than 30 (at 31).
That said, defenders usually last a lot longer than more attacking players.
Roughly half our 1st team squad falls in the 26-30 bracket, the other half below that bracket, i.e. they are yet to reach the age where they are typically at their peak.

Only two of our players could be said to be injury prone, Davies and Curran, and this owes a lot more to their all-action style of play than their age. Its not wear and tear that keeps them out, its impact injuries. Also, Curran is only 26.

Here's some links backing up the age range:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28254123
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/n...rs-3934704
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/24250...top-longer

Here's an overview of our squad with their ages:
http://uk.soccerway.com/teams/scotland/r...y-fc/1914/

Our squads range of ages looks fine for modern football and is comparable with the majority of other squads.
Yes, some of our players are maybe nearing the end, I totally agree with that.
But its the same as almost every squad every season for everyone ever.
I imagine these players will be moved on. This is not a big issue, and is not reason for panic and a squad overhaul.
Its the same for most teams, especially provincial teams shopping for bargains like us, its normal.
This is also where "past their best" can become relative, we could get someone from a higher level who was past their best but would be great at this level.
But to reiterate, our squads range of ages looks fine for modern football and is comparable with the majority of other squads.
The players on their last legs will be moved on at the end of season, as usual.

I'm still keen to see us promote from within to replace those older players who will be moved on when the time is right.
Its usually best to have these young players mentored by older players.
Its also usually best to have some experienced heads on the pitch who can read the game and guide others through it.
So there is usually always scope to have some players over 30 years old, for reasons on and off the pitch.

Apologies for the epic post, just this keeps coming up and I disagree with the implied scale of the issue. Basically, I don't see it as a significant issue for us just now. Just an opinion obviously, but been wanting to get it off my chest for a while! Wink

(01-14-2016, 11:08 AM)staggie1746 Wrote: See regarding this "past their best" argument where our squad is "too old":

... Basically, I don't see it as a significant issue for us just now.

Great post 1746, you've put a lot of work to prove something that quite obviously isn't a problem for us.

Yes, a team of local teenagers ripping up the opposition would be every clubs ideal but to make issues of things that are clearly not an issue is just folly imo.

(01-14-2016, 11:27 AM)frankthetank Wrote: Great post 1746, you've put a lot of work to prove something that quite obviously isn't a problem for us.

Yes, a team of local teenagers ripping up the opposition would be every clubs ideal but to make issues of things that are clearly not an issue is just folly imo.

Agreed 1746 & Frank – Getting a bit sick of all the negativity. 12mths ago County made a public commitment and a big effort to completely change both direction and emphasis. We are now HALF a season or 10% into a 5 season plan to implement those changes and patience together with a sense of realism is required. So far we are top 6, have 2 very good cup runs going, an improving development squad and a revamped youth coaching set up so I think some congratulations for measurable progress is needed rather than unsubstantiated whinging. It is becoming wearing having to constantly read how we are failing / too old / not good enough when we have just started down a new path. County ARE a club in transition and change especially on this scale takes time; it does not happen in a little over 6 months. All opinions are valid and should be voiced but jumping up and down because a team of 20yr old locals hasn’t suddenly appeared is to put it mildly unrealistic (TBH its absurd) and quite frankly unhelpful. Get a grip, put the cart before the horse and get a sense of perspective before moaning and belittling the huge achievements that have been made in a very short time. Please!

(01-14-2016, 02:41 PM)dorsetstaggie Wrote: Agreed 1746 & Frank – Getting a bit sick of all the negativity. 12mths ago County made a public commitment and a big effort to completely change both direction and emphasis. We are now HALF a season or 10% into a 5 season plan to implement those changes and patience together with a sense of realism is required. So far we are top 6, have 2 very good cup runs going, an improving development squad and a revamped youth coaching set up so I think some congratulations for measurable progress is needed rather than unsubstantiated whinging. It is becoming wearing having to constantly read how we are failing / too old / not good enough when we have just started down a new path. County ARE a club in transition and change especially on this scale takes time; it does not happen in a little over 6 months. All opinions are valid and should be voiced but jumping up and down because a team of 20yr old locals hasn’t suddenly appeared is to put it mildly unrealistic (TBH its absurd) and quite frankly unhelpful. Get a grip, put the cart before the horse and get a sense of perspective before moaning and belittling the huge achievements that have been made in a very short time. Please!

That please is out of order!! Tongue
Correct on all counts........Swallow that large spoonful of perspective that has just been fed to you doubters.

That said, still want a different formation/system for away games. That's not a negative point IMHO. Just an observation based on statistics!!