Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 37 Votes - 2.73 Average
Speculation thread
(06-13-2014, 09:53 AM)Savage Henry Wrote: I'm very excited about this move. Have to say I've never heard of him, but he sounds like a genuine poacher and that's what we've needed for a while. Also we can call him Boycee.

From what I'm aware he's a pretty tidy player and has been a good prospect for a few years (so probably needs to realise his potential now). Was on trial at Celtic a few years ago, had a spell in Germany albeit didn't get 1st team football, and has scored a shitload of goals in Ireland. I think he has more to his game than just putting it in the net though?*

There's usually a few decent teams sniffing around him and he has been subject to a few blogs citing him as a talent etc., so I'm quite pleased we look to be signing him up! Hopefully he can handle the change in leagues and the move to f/t football.

*ETA - aye, he's dropped into midfield for a couple of games, predominately plays up front though.

The boy seems a talent and highly rated. Sky Sports journo just tweeted that it's a 1-year deal which is disappointing but I can see why this time as Boyce hasn't played full-time football before so it's a gamble from our point of view.

Liam Boyce. Yes please..... I like the sound of this potential headline - "International striker signs for County".... besties with Billy McKay no doubt...... Nice to see the following piece in a Belfast paper from a team mate at Cliftonville -

"The Reds talisman is dreaming of a return to full-time football after helping Tommy Breslin's men to back-to-back Premiership successes, with Chesterfield keeping tabs on the former Werder Bremen man.

And even though a switch to England for Boyce would leave Breslin with a big gap to fill, Donnelly believes the squad has sufficient quality to cope without the player he describes as 'the best in Northern Ireland."
He's NOT the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

I really do like the sound of this guy - something we have lacked for some time is a decent goal scorer - someone who can bang in double figures......agree that one year deal seems sensible given his situation - but potential for us to be grabbing a gem here!
Supporter Liaison Officer 

It will be interesting whether or not he can step-up from the Irish league to the SPL. That said, if he's a natural goalscorer then you would reckon that could chip in with a few goals.

The attacking options look quite good, particularly with young guys like Dingwall and McLeod (hopefully) coming into the first team over the next couple of seasons.

Arquin has shown that he's not adverse to putting in some graft and I get the impression that Jervis could be a similar type of player to Slew. Boyce, if he signs, does sound like an upgrade on Glen. There's definitely more options going forward than there was at the start of last season but it's crucial that County keep a hold of De Leeuw. Just need to focus on strengthening the rest of the team.

Any further news on Carey?

He looks quality.

(06-13-2014, 01:44 PM)staggie2509 Wrote: I really do like the sound of this guy - something we have lacked for some time is a decent goal scorer - someone who can bang in double figures......agree that one year deal seems sensible given his situation - but potential for us to be grabbing a gem here!

Like the sound of him too, only I'd have preferred a 2 year deal with a review option after 12months. If he does the biz we're gonna loose him at the end of a year with no financial benefit. Club must have its reasons, maybe I'm too optimistic and he's a bigger gamble than I hope.

Something that occurs to me is that on paper its the defence that needs serious attention, IMO more so than the forward line. Again I can only assume the club has some plan or signings closer to completion than we are aware of. In which case it would maybe signal that maybe Sango'o and Gordon might be returning. Ever Optimistic.

Agreed, we need some numbers at the back and still short in midfield also.....looking much better up front though!

Del Boy and Boycee, what next Trigger and Rodney!
WDDDWWWWWWWWWDDDWDDDWWWWDWWDWD
CHAMPS
WWDWWDDDWDD
40 UNBEATEN

Boyce agree terms ;O)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scot...remiership

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/...ext-season?

(06-13-2014, 10:13 AM)Pete The Jakey Wrote:
(06-13-2014, 07:55 AM)john@THHP Wrote: Killie and Hibs have been linked with him in the past. If he signed then Melvin's departure would seem inevitable.

What makes you think Melvin will be away?

No insight, just a hunch based on how many forwards are at the club.

Boyce
Jervis
Arquin
de Leeuw
Ross

...as well as Dingwall and MacLeod, who were meant to be stepping up this season. It's already a top-heavy squad.

Typically they'll be competing for two places. A 4-3-3 with de Leeuw and Arquin flanking Boyce might be exciting but I can't see that as a medium term plan. The last match that County started with three strikers across the width of the pitch, if I remember correctly, was against Raith Rovers.

(I think that continually playing Arquin on the flank will result in him playing within himself like at Notts County, but unless he signs a contract extension in January that might not be a long term issue.)

Boyce looks like he's a good finisher on both feet. He's not huge but he's barrel-chested so shouldn't get bullied, yet I wonder how he'll do technically. Diarmuid O'Carroll had a slightly better goals-to-games ratio at Cliftonville over the same timeframe, so I'm not convinced just on the number of goals he scored.

I would rather have de Leeuw behind Arquin over any other strike partnership that Ross County have ever had, I really think that's a partnership that could do well next season and the fanboy in me thinks that the latest signings will over-complicate matters on that front. Then again, it might only ever be a short term problem.

(06-13-2014, 05:23 PM)john@THHP Wrote: I would rather have de Leeuw behind Arquin over any other strike partnership that Ross County have ever had, I really think that's a partnership that could do well next season and the fanboy in me thinks that the latest signings will over-complicate matters on that front. Then again, it might only ever be a short term problem.

Yip, when I saw a teamsheet with Slew & Arquin playing in front of De Leeuw I automatically thought "GOALS". I think De Leeuw is best running at teams from slightly deeper, which also gives him the opportunity to really attack crosses with his heid.

I expect Ross to be loaned out this season, with possibly Dingwall and/or MacLeod too.

I know the current footballing climate means 1 year deals are the norm for clubs like ours, but I would love to see some 2 year deals being offered. I cant handle a squad rebuild every year, the best teams are the settled teams in any form of sport.

I'm hearing from a fairly well informed hibs fan that Caleys ex scout Steve Marsella is now working for County.
No sacrifice no victory 

(06-13-2014, 03:05 PM)StrathyStaggie Wrote: It will be interesting whether or not he can step-up from the Irish league to the SPL. That said, if he's a natural goalscorer then you would reckon that could chip in with a few goals.

The attacking options look quite good, particularly with young guys like Dingwall and McLeod (hopefully) coming into the first team over the next couple of seasons.

Arquin has shown that he's not adverse to putting in some graft and I get the impression that Jervis could be a similar type of player to Slew. Boyce, if he signs, does sound like an upgrade on Glen. There's definitely more options going forward than there was at the start of last season but it's crucial that County keep a hold of De Leeuw. Just need to focus on strengthening the rest of the team.

Any further news on Carey?
I agree with you and according to my scorces DA has offerd deals to Carey, Ketts, Quinn and McLean it is up to them if they want to accept them

(06-14-2014, 09:19 AM)Slatefordstag Wrote: I'm hearing from a fairly well informed hibs fan that Caleys ex scout Steve Marsella is now working for County.

Hearing he's been retained by Hibs?

Wouldn't want Marsella. Players at ICT and at Hibs regarded him as a bully and certainly at the dump were glad to see the back of him.

Photo 
(06-16-2014, 01:27 PM)staggie2509 Wrote:
(06-14-2014, 09:19 AM)Slatefordstag Wrote: I'm hearing from a fairly well iwould bermed hibs fan that Caleysdon't lenst Steve Marsella working for County.

Hearing he's been retained by Hibs?

I'd be surprised if hibs decided to go back and keep him as that Dempster lass really couldn't stand him and without prompting clarified Marsella would be leaving with Butcher. I dont know the guy but his reputation as a scout is dam good so i hope he does join our staff.

County are after Jordan Slew again according to Lancashire Press.

I would be delighted with that!!
From Bottom of Highland League, to sitting at Scottish footballs top table.....If Carlsberg did Football stories!.
@JackMunro9

Would love us to get Slew back - that would be sweet given we still have Arquin, Jervis and Boyce along with Dingwall and MacLeod - loads of options up front!

Still need replacements for Songo'o, Cikos, Kiss, Tidser and Oikinomou.....