Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Ross County vs Kilmarnock - Saturday 21st March
Our next game is home to Kilmarnock this Saturday 21st March.

The visitors:

Kilmarnock currently sit in 8th place in the league. They've been hard to beat this season, haven't lost in their last 7 league games, but draw too many games. Kilmarnock have drawn the second most games in the league this season.

Kilmarnock have only won 3 of their last 19 league games, so they're hardly coming into the game in great form.

They sacked manager Allan Johnston, but their form or league position hasn't changed much at all. Kilmarnock are a bottom half SPL side and, from the outside, didn't look like Johnston was doing too bad a job. Gary Locke is their interim manager and is a good young manager. Unlucky to be let go at Hearts, I thought.

Player to watch:

Alexei Eremenko

The 31 year old experienced Russian midfielder is Kilmarnock's most talented player.

Eremenko usually operates in an attacking midfield role, often just off the striker. He's extremely gifted technically and is great at finding space between the opposition's midfield and defence.

Eremenko's first spell at Kilmarnock back in 2010 impressed everybody. He was nominated for Player's Player of the Year at the end of the season. Once his loan expired, in the summer of 2011, clubs like Celtic, Rangers and Cardiff were all interested in Eremenko. Eremenko eventually got a good moveto Rubin Kazan, where he won the Russian league and played in the Europa League.

Eremenko has scored 4 goals for Kilmarnock this season, making him their third top scorer behind Obadeyi and Magennis.

Ross County:

A solid draw away to Hamilton brought our winning run to an end, but there's no doubt we're in good form and full of confidence.

With Irvine and Boyce injured last week, in came Kiss and Jervis. I thought Kiss did well and possibly even complimented Woods a little better than Irvine, but Boyce will be a welcomed return. We really missed Boyce's ability to link up play against Hamilton.

Both Irvine and Boyce will be fit and available on Saturday. I think Boyce will come in for Jervis, but it'll be a tight call between Irvine and Kiss for McIntyre. I have a feeling Irvine might just edge it.

Special mention to Curran who got his fourth goal of the season against Hamilton, same amount as Arquin and Slew combined last season.

My prediction:

Ross County 2-1 Kilmarnock

Thanks J-Lo.
Soz Jim'n'Billy

(03-16-2015, 04:41 PM)JailendLoyal Wrote: Our next game is home to Kilmarnock this Saturday 21st March.

The visitors:

Kilmarnock currently sit in 8th place in the league. They've been hard to beat this season, haven't lost in their last 7 league games, but draw too many games. Kilmarnock have drawn the second most games in the league this season.

Kilmarnock have only won 3 of their last 19 league games, so they're hardly coming into the game in great form.

Or;

.@OfficialKillie are now 7 games unbeaten. Their best run since 2000. Read here http://t.co/Rt8WzM4Uxq @SPLstats http://t.co/F5KVSCSSQt

Depends how you paint it I suppose.

Not a team we have a great record against and have a habit of doing smash and grabs on us. I'd be perfectly content to take a scrappy, drab 1-0 win away from Viccy Park for this one.

(03-16-2015, 10:04 PM)Comrie Wrote: Not a team we have a great record against and have a habit of doing smash and grabs on us. I'd be perfectly content to take a scrappy, drab 1-0 win away from Viccy Park for this one.

Did we not beat them 3-0 in Kilmarnock last time we played them? or did I dream that!

Thanks for the overview J-Lo, these summeries really help us guys that support from a distance with getting a feel for the up coming matches,your effort is appreciated probably a lot more than you realise. All we need now is BB to come in with a tactical view and we'd be back to the happy Div1 title winning days on OB. Survival a possibility, still living the dream.

A tough test for us as Locke is no mug and he'll have them fired up as they push for a top six place, can't see them finishing in the top six!

They only beat St Mirren by one late goal on Saturday - so, my hope is that they will get a stiffer test on Saturday away to County! Would like to see us back to the team that won the four in a row recently - although the team did well to fight back against Hamilton, I agree with J-Lo that we missed Liam Boyce to link up play in attack. Toss up between whether McIntyre goes with Kiss or Irvine....hopefully Marcus Fraser grabs another goal after the good news of signing an extended deal with County!
Supporter Liaison Officer 

Has to be Irvine for me. Kiss was not as effective against Hamilton as Irvine would have been. Irvine gets stuck in and just keeps running. Would put Boyce in for Jervis too. I dont think Hamilton would have got so much freedom in the middle if Irvine had been playing.

Thought Mark Brown had a bit of a nightmare. No one has mentioned how he nearly gifted a goal by taking too long to kick it out. Scotty Boyd also gave him pelters for not coming for a ball that was clearly his. The Hamilton player got to it first after running past Scotty. I also thought he could have done better when Imrie scored. He seemed to back off and give Imrie a bigger target. He is also absolutely useless at corners. If a forward taps a ball in from 1 yard at a corner where was the keeper to cut out the cross? Once again too busy being pushed around. Goalkeeper should "command" the penalty area, Mark could not even command his six yard box on Saturday.

For me a change of goalkeeper is due too.

Just my opinion based on what I saw and I am sure whatever the manager decides he will be right.

(03-17-2015, 09:46 PM)Boff Wrote: Has to be Irvine for me. Kiss was not as effective against Hamilton as Irvine would have been. Irvine gets stuck in and just keeps running. Would put Boyce in for Jervis too. I dont think Hamilton would have got so much freedom in the middle if Irvine had been playing.

Thought Mark Brown had a bit of a nightmare. No one has mentioned how he nearly gifted a goal by taking too long to kick it out. Scotty Boyd also gave him pelters for not coming for a ball that was clearly his. The Hamilton player got to it first after running past Scotty. I also thought he could have done better when Imrie scored. He seemed to back off and give Imrie a bigger target. He is also absolutely useless at corners. If a forward taps a ball in from 1 yard at a corner where was the keeper to cut out the cross? Once again too busy being pushed around. Goalkeeper should "command" the penalty area, Mark could not even command his six yard box on Saturday.

Just my opinion based on what I saw and I am sure whatever the manager decides he will be right.

Conceding goals from set pieces is now a major worry IMO.

The opposition are putting a player on Brown every week and he hasn't a clue how to cope with it. Brown just gets boxed in and isn't coming for crosses in the 6 yard box, which every goalkeeper should do.

Funny really, we have never really had a keeper that i can remember who dominated his box, as some other teams do.
We have had some outstanding shot stoppers over the years, but no one who consistantly came for and collected crosses..

The possible exception being Nicky Walker.

Who was our best ever Keeper?

But that w

Tony Bullock and Mike McG would prob be my two shouts as our best keepers, with Bullock edging it.

Well, Hutchie is my favourite, but he was much better at shot-stopping than taking crosses. So for that reason, and that reason alone, I'm going with Bullock.

Maybe a shout for Paul Gallacher, who I rate very highly, but he didn't make many appearances for us (just the 1?).

(03-17-2015, 09:46 PM)Boff Wrote: Has to be Irvine for me. Kiss was not as effective against Hamilton as Irvine would have been. Irvine gets stuck in and just keeps running. Would put Boyce in for Jervis too. I dont think Hamilton would have got so much freedom in the middle if Irvine had been playing.

Wow here Iam agreeing again just as I saw it BOFF I agree he could have narrowed the angle against Imrie, he nearly gave one away and had the audacity to fingeR at Boyd when he could have walked out and get there first,his hesitancy could yet cost us dear I agree with your observation 100%( wonder if he's related to Count Dracula not very active in daylight and hates crosses) but I did note one person still has to have a wee go at Boyd, Boyd has been good for us since being back the team,people are settling now having played together longer, but very interesting how you picked up on that,bet if a goal came of it Boyd would be blamed by the Bin man.
We've won more with Boyd in our tea.
Nd yes I gave you a like honest integrity ,,,Smile

[quote='35 YEARS A STAGGIE' pid='48418' dateline='1426682131']
Funny really, we have never really had a keeper that i can remember who dominated his box, as some other teams do.
We have had some outstanding shot stoppers over the years, but no one who consistantly came for and collected crosses..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bobby Geddes.

[quote='35 YEARS A STAGGIE' pid='48418' dateline='1426682131']

---------------------------------------
I thought Hutchie and Bullock were great keepers but in terms of being comfortable with high balls into the box, my memory suggests Nicky Walker and Colin Stewart?

(03-18-2015, 08:42 PM)Fozzie Wrote: [quote='35 YEARS A STAGGIE' pid='48418' dateline='1426682131']

I thought Hutchie and Bullock were great keepers but in terms of being comfortable with high balls into the box, my memory suggests Nicky Walker and Colin Stewart?
Gracious me have you not seen Benny

(03-18-2015, 08:42 PM)Fozzie Wrote: [quote='35 YEARS A STAGGIE' pid='48418' dateline='1426682131']

[Image: say-what.gif?w=560]

Mikey McGovern was our best ever keeper imo

(03-18-2015, 09:36 PM)frankthetank Wrote: Mikey McGovern was our best ever keeper imo

Gracious me you've not seen BennySad

Tut tut what about Jeff or Fred then

(03-18-2015, 10:41 PM)Ross shire buff Wrote: Gracious me you've not seen BennySad

Sandy Anderson
John Thompson
Donnie "The Bear" Bain, now then, there was a goalkeeper never afraid to leave his line and meet a ball, in the air, or the ground.
Big Grin

(03-18-2015, 10:41 PM)Ross shire buff Wrote: Gracious me you've not seen BennySad

Hamish Morrison!
Ross Cathcart.
Michael Ure.
Big McGregor, good at high balls!