Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Premiership signings
What do we make of our fellow Premiership teams transfer activity so far?

Partick have just signed Ryan Stevenson, that seems a decent signing to me.

Dundee have been busiest so far, picking up ex Hibees McPake and Thomson, and Simon Ferry from Portsmouth.

Hamilton have a signed ex Staggie keeper McGovern, decent keeper.

Early days, it will be interesting to see how all the squads shape-up.

I suppose the strength of the opposition will also depend on who they've let go. Take us we've signed Carey and Jervis but lost so much more.

If Dundee still have their core squad and are building on it IMO they're beginning to look very strong.

To me Ryan Stevenson to Partick looks like the best prize from that few mentioned.

This season will be a different dynamic for him though. He had a vital leading role for Hearts last season and seemed to thrive on it.
FergnKetts - BestBossYets

Dundee mentioned to be after McGowan now? Decent.

Dundee signing Harkins seems like a huge waste of resources, but they've got a lot of depth in the centre of midfield now. I can see Harkins playing wide left, not tracking back and leaving Willie Dyer completely exposed - I'd like to see Maatsen up against him 1v1.

Getting Paul McGinn from Dumbarton is an upgrade on Irvine at right-back, while the new keeper Bain will eventually become one of the best Scottish keepers in the top flight. Getting a centre-back to get the best out of James McPake will be a tall order - Declan Gallacher would have been the ideal man but he decided not to stay with them.

Their problem will be getting the midfield balance right, with so many creative types and not enough battlers. Putting McGowan and Harkins together won't work, as it didn't at St Mirren.

Hamilton are putting a good squad together. Canning and Tena (if he re-signs) are a solid but but slow defensive partnership, Ziggy Gordon is one of the country's best young right-backs and Cieran MacDoanld was just signed from Clyde and I think he'll be a bit green for the top flight.

They got McGovern to replace Cuthbert, which is great for them. They're after Mark Millar - who I would like at County - and he will be the ideal replacement for Alex Neil at the back of midfield. I think they will do alright but will ultimately struggle to score enough goals.

St Mirren just signed Kenny McLean up for another two years, which is probably the best signing of all of the perceived bottom six sides so far. He's a superb midfielder, if Tommy Craig knows to play a midfield three with Goodwin behind McGinn and McLean, with no fooling around, then they comfortably have the best midfield of the bottom six. Their problems will be maintaining Steven Thompson's sharpness and holding the centre of defence together, where I think they are weak.

I thought Kilmarnock might struggle this season without Kris Boyd, but they signed Lee Miller who will be a good enough striker for them. Paul Cairney will do a better job than Gardyne did as their attacking midfielder, but he never sustains it over a season. I still have doubts about Allan Johnston's ability to motivate and strategise, but they have a clutch of young players who are getting more and more experience.

Partick Thistle
still haven't done much beyond signing Ryan Stevenson, who I don't think was necessarily the player they needed. Higginbotham is already the ball-hogger who will shoot from anywhere in that team, and we saw Gary Fraser shoot from anywhere in the last match of last season.

It'd be nice to hear some news on Ross County. Fingers crossed Maatsen and Klok show that they are good enough to play regularly.

Fairly sure Dundee are putting all their eggs in the "avoid relegation" basket. There's some very odd moves there - Gary Harkins is nowhere near good enough for this level.

Gary Locke will be Kilmarnock manager by Christmas. Two poor signings so far, and nothing to replace Boyd.

Boyd was hardly going to be replaced by someone of his ability. Lee Miller seems as good as they might have hoped for (?)
FergnKetts - BestBossYets