Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
World Cup 2014
So with the addition of this new forum, it brings up the perfect opportunity to kick off the World Cup threads!

The World Cup kicks-off on Thursday 12th June, a mere week away, with Brazil v Croatia.

I think this is one of the more open World Cups, I'm genuinely not sure who'll win it. The European teams have been very strong the last few years, but generally don't travel well to South America.

The obvious favourites are Brazil, Argentina, Spain & Germany. Anyone else in with a shout? Belgium maybe?

I'd quite like Germany to do it for the first time in a while, I like the change of style they've gone through in the last few years. Wouldn't be averse to Brazil or Argentina winning it either, but despite my username I'd really like someone other than tiki-taka Spain to win it this time.

Whatever the case, there's plenty of football watching to be done during June & July, and I for one can't wait. Mostly useful times too, with the first game most days kicking off at 5pm I think. Most are 5pm or 8pm, but it does mean for the first two rounds of the group stages we have 11pm KOs.
.: Ours, is the Fury :.

(06-04-2014, 09:24 PM)Spain Wrote: So with the addition of this new forum, it brings up the perfect opportunity to kick off the World Cup threads!

The World Cup kicks-off on Thursday 12th June, a mere week away, with Brazil v Croatia.

I think this is one of the more open World Cups, I'm genuinely not sure who'll win it. The European teams have been very strong the last few years, but generally don't travel well to South America.

The obvious favourites are Brazil, Argentina, Spain & Germany. Anyone else in with a shout? Belgium maybe?

I'd quite like Germany to do it for the first time in a while, I like the change of style they've gone through in the last few years. Wouldn't be averse to Brazil or Argentina winning it either, but despite my username I'd really like someone other than tiki-taka Spain to win it this time.

Whatever the case, there's plenty of football watching to be done during June & July, and I for one can't wait. Mostly useful times too, with the first game most days kicking off at 5pm I think. Most are 5pm or 8pm, but it does mean for the first two rounds of the group stages we have 11pm KOs.

As Gordon Strachan said if it's Brazil who win the world will be happy place

I'd add France (Benzema finding form, a settled, powerful yet gifted team) and Italy (pay no attention to last night's friendly result, they know how to get the job done when it matters) to that list of favourites

Can't see past Brazil on home soil- Germany's defence can be suspect (i.e. whenever Jerome Boateng plays) and many of Spain's key men are either past their best or knackered after a long season (i.e. their Madrid contingent)

Belgum are over-rated- the glaring weaknesses in their team are in both full-back positions. Hardly ideal when they're likely to face Cristiano Ronaldo in round 2

Greece and Algeria will surprise people
"The heart of the club is the fan. The board and the chairman are custodians. The staff are transient. But the fan is there forever"

Roy Macgregor, April 2013

Has to be Brazil for me.....have you seen that penalty practice that Neymar did on BBC website....ace!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27678434

If I tried that I'd end up in a heap on the ground......
Supporter Liaison Officer 

It's definitely going to be a South American team IMO.

Brazil and Argentina are the two favourites.

This is a very good Brazil team - as we saw last summer in the Confederations Cup which they won. They don't have the flair of previous teams, but defensively they're the best team in it. Nobody at the World Cup can boast a better back 5 of Julio Cesar, Alves, Thiago Silva, David Luiz and Marcelo.

Argentina have the strikers to beat anybody. Messi and Aguero with Higuain on the bench would scare any defence! Quite a solid defence with Zabaleta, Demichelis and Garay. Macherano, Di Maria, Gago and Lavezzi should make the midfield. Very good all-round team, for the first time in a while, and I think they will be the team to beat in this tournament.

Chile are the team to watch I think.

I don't think a European team will win it. Spain or Belgium to get the furthest. I'm not convinced by Germany at all this year - they don't have that cutting edge for me. Klose, aged 35, is their only striker and Ozil (a huge player for them) is out of form.

England not to get out of the group stages.

I Brazil to win it but if they dont then ABE

I'm backing Chile.

Think they'll beat Netherlands to second in their group, and make it to the quarters.

Brazil are obvious favourites but are under a huge amount of pressure. Spain still have a lot of quality in their team so I am reluctant to write them off. At Euro 2012 they lacked an outstanding striker in form yet now they have Costa. Argentina are always tipped before a world cup as favourites but have not been further than the quarter finals since 1990 and I think their defence will let them down again.
Germany will do well I think. As usual, Klose comes into the tournament with little attention but will be very motivated to beat Ronaldo's record. I've got him at 50/1 for top scorer. His record at Lazio is a goal every 2 games and is now his countries record scorer. Ozil had a mixed season at Arsenal but form means nothing at world cups: remember Rossi and Milla. Rooney, Messi and Ronaldo have gone into recent tournaments and done little to justify the hype.
As for England, I think quarter finals would be a success. Italy are poor at the moment and Uruguay rely too much on Suarez. I like Hodgsons low key, clever approach.
Whatever happens, I love world cup's and will watch as many games as possible!
SHIRT NUMBER 34.

(formerly named Geordieland Staggie).

Registered member since March 2003.

Really want to say I don't care providing Uruguay & Italy get out of group D however it's much more fun down here in engerrland if they squeak through and start getting all excited over winning it only to get dumped out the qtrs on penalties. Much funnier but a real quandary for a Scot.
Brazil or I quite fancy Belgium as an outside bet, don't think the full backs will be too much of a factor as the temps will be against wingers and box to box supporting midfielders.

Strap yourselves in, a full month of top class fitba------- ye-ha!

Goodbye any non-football related social life.

Bet done.

Stan James offer 40/1 on Argentina win and Higuain top scorer. Invested my £20.

Brazil V Croatia - Penalty!!!!! Let the cheating begin.
Note: I want Brazil to do well because a successful host makes the whole tournament much more fun. However the ref was so deep in Brazils pocket Croatia needn't of bothered turning up!!!
UEFA have to do something about this - Retrospective 2 match suspension for bringing the game into disrepute should go someway to stopping it.

Well that was a bit unexpected. I suspected the Dutch might win that, but 5-1? And going on 6 or 7-1 too. An absolute annihilation.

With that kinda goal difference, it's almost out of Spain's hands now. If Spain only win their other two games by one goal each, (and say Chile beat Australia) Holland could let Chile win and Holland & Chile could go through. Bit of fancy maths following the goal difference would be needed though.

That was a spectacular display - TOTAL FOOTBALL is back!!

The quality of football has been pretty decent so far, except from the snoozefest of Iran/Cameroon.

I got bloody Iran in the office sweepstake :0( after seeing the bulk of the teams I'm thinking either Germany or Holland look the most convincing! Bit disappointed with Brazil so far, think too many of them are now playing in Europe - used to love it when you didn't know them and they turned up and put on amazing displays of footballing skill, but now they look ordinary!

(06-18-2014, 06:13 AM)Comrie Wrote: The quality of football has been pretty decent so far, except from the snoozefest of Iran/Cameroon.

Erm Confused

(06-18-2014, 07:18 PM)IDW16 Wrote:
(06-18-2014, 06:13 AM)Comrie Wrote: The quality of football has been pretty decent so far, except from the snoozefest of Iran/Cameroon.

Erm Confused

The Iran v Nigeria game was that dull, he fell asleep and by the time he woke up, Cameroon were playing...?

Other than that, it's been a pretty good World Cup so far.

(06-18-2014, 08:12 PM)Spain Wrote:
(06-18-2014, 07:18 PM)IDW16 Wrote: Erm Confused

The Iran v Nigeria game was that dull, he fell asleep and by the time he woke up, Cameroon were playing...?

Other than that, it's been a pretty good World Cup so far.

Yeah, let's say that.....

Loved it so far. Spain look to be heading out the now too.