Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Ross County's best ever player?
Although he wasn't the best player to play for County, Mark McCulloch would be the first name on the team sheet for my 'all-time XI'.

Nostalgia makes you think that players from your past were all fantastic.

In my time following the County "My favourites" included Chris Sommerville,Maxi MacLeod,Willie Furphy, Billy Herd, Stevie Hutchinson,Jamie Macpherson, Gerry Farrell, Gary Wood(version 1), Neil Tarrant, Ian Maxwell,Hughie Robertson,Franck Escalon, Karrim Boukkra,Tony Bullock, Brian Irvine, Kenny Gilbert,Martin Canning,Sean Higgins,Mark McCulloch,Don Cowie.

Of the current squad Scott Boyd, Richie Brittain and The Greek god (although his performance against the Caley was poor).

However anyone of my vintage will answer the same Billy Ferries the greatest player to wear the County top.
Gudgie67 aka Gadgie67

(03-06-2014, 02:23 PM)StrathyStaggie Wrote: Although he wasn't the best player to play for County, Mark McCulloch would be the first name on the team sheet for my 'all-time XI'.

Mr Consistentcy.

It all depends on the era.

For me Robbie 'Psycho' Williamson and Gordie Connolly would have to be in the mix as they were the mainstays of the team that dominated the Highland League and stepped up to the senior leagues.

(03-05-2014, 10:30 PM)Ross shire buff Wrote:
(03-05-2014, 10:13 PM)ProCounty Wrote: I take it you were just there to cut the oranges

The then county manager Ian McNeil was in stores Jimmy Gillespie and I worked together,big jim Liynus was with Colin Finn who had the building contract for macrae houses big jim lynis ways gettin £5 per goal scored from Colin Finn, every dinner break was magic as you say a lot of county players,big Stan and Donnie were young guys apprentice sparkles,I left for construction invergordon smelter,then moved on to Nigg I was supervisor fab weld,Donnie Stan. A George urquart Liynus All worked in my area , again dinner time football,we must know each other, but I'm one of old brigade I was 36 when nigg started. I was there for eighteen years then ardersier

I sent my email address If you want craic

(03-06-2014, 07:37 PM)Heg38 Wrote: It all depends on the era.

For me Robbie 'Psycho' Williamson and Gordie Connolly would have to be in the mix as they were the mainstays of the team that dominated the Highland League and stepped up to the senior leagues.

After the game on Saturday I actually said to a friend that it was more enjoyable watching County in the Highland League with Gordon Connolly passing the ball around midfield, than the kick and hope we'd just seen. He was definitely up there as one of County's best midfielders.

There have been so many legends at Victoria Park over the years.

For me, the best player I have ever seen grace the Staggies pitch has to be Billy Ferries. The man was a dream to watch. Albeit I was a youngster but he excited me as a footballer.

When I play, I like to see myself as a centre forward so my favourite in that position would probably be between Brian Grant and Alan Duff.

My heart and pride as a football fan still lies with Don Cowie. Delighted for his career and I can only hope that Ole at Cardiff sees him as a valuable player for another season or two.

However, I have to give a mention to a player I never had the pleasure of watching in a County shirt. He would have been my all time favourite, the best I had ever seen and a legend in my eyes.

My Grandfather Finlay Browning. One of my hero's. Angel
Looking to hold a horse race night
Let OddsOn RACE NIGHTS help

Fully Hosted night, Modern Day races shown on  a 2.6m projector screen, professional betting system with printed tickets, Music, Games and much more

Contact Stephen on 07729 866 905
or find us on Facebook: @oddsonracenights

Scubasteve

Your Grandad was a hero!

Yep! back in the good old days.
A lot of locals played then, a few from the towns and Seaboard villages.
Wonder what some of them would think of todays stadium, Scottish Cup Final etc.
Of course, there are several from that era still living.

Fitness counted in Ross County FC's Scottish North Cup first round tie with Losiemouth at Victoria Park, Dingwall, for the heavy, wet pitch was a test of pure stamina and fitness, which Ross County showed in full as they accounted for their opponents by two goals to nil. Both counters were credited to James Macpherson, who revelled in the conditions. The County team was: Benny Sutherland, Bert Sutherland and D.D. Forsyth;
Finlay Browning,
Simon Waldie and Harry Leckie; John Ross, Chic Oglivie, James Macpherson, Sandy Mackenzie and A. Grant.

At Victoria Park, Dingwall, Ross County FC defeated Aberdeen University 6-3 in the first round of the Scottish Cup competition.
Finlay Browning (2),
James Macpherson (2), Spanky Stewart and Godsman were the County scorers. Gormley (2) and Morrice replied for the University.

On a heavy, greasy pitch at Victoria Park, Dingwall, Ross County FC defeated Rothes 2-0 in a Highland League fixture. Right half Alistair Mackenzie is continuing his studies at Aberdeen University, and his place was taken by Leslie Packer, who has completed his National Service. Billy Simpson,
and Finlay Browning were the county scorers

(03-07-2014, 03:06 PM)Fleackeuy Wrote: Scubasteve

Your Grandad was a hero!

Yep! back in the good old days.
A lot of locals played then, a few from the towns and Seaboard villages.
Wonder what some of them would think of todays stadium, Scottish Cup Final etc.
Of course, there are several from that era still living.

Fitness counted in Ross County FC's Scottish North Cup first round tie with Losiemouth at Victoria Park, Dingwall, for the heavy, wet pitch was a test of pure stamina and fitness, which Ross County showed in full as they accounted for their opponents by two goals to nil. Both counters were credited to James Macpherson, who revelled in the conditions. The County team was: Benny Sutherland, Bert Sutherland and D.D. Forsyth;
Finlay Browning,
Simon Waldie and Harry Leckie; John Ross, Chic Oglivie, James Macpherson, Sandy Mackenzie and A. Grant.

At Victoria Park, Dingwall, Ross County FC defeated Aberdeen University 6-3 in the first round of the Scottish Cup competition.
Finlay Browning (2),
James Macpherson (2), Spanky Stewart and Godsman were the County scorers. Gormley (2) and Morrice replied for the University.

On a heavy, greasy pitch at Victoria Park, Dingwall, Ross County FC defeated Rothes 2-0 in a Highland League fixture. Right half Alistair Mackenzie is continuing his studies at Aberdeen University, and his place was taken by Leslie Packer, who has completed his National Service. Billy Simpson,
and Finlay Browning were the county scorers

Thank you for that Fleackeuy. I have search the web for as much info on him as possible. I used to have newspaper clippings and photos of his playing days. I'm sure he is in a team photo in the Highlands to Hampden book. So will need to get my hands on that.

I might even make a trip to the local library to see what they have on the system.
Looking to hold a horse race night
Let OddsOn RACE NIGHTS help

Fully Hosted night, Modern Day races shown on  a 2.6m projector screen, professional betting system with printed tickets, Music, Games and much more

Contact Stephen on 07729 866 905
or find us on Facebook: @oddsonracenights

Yeah, I have to play the Grandad card too, My number 1 player for County was my Grandpa, Johnny Bremner, only saw him play once, first half of a charity match down the Jubilee when he was in his 60's, he scored and took the game just as serious then as he always did.

As for watching County since the late 80's, the best player for County for me has to someone who has impacted on the team, even if they weren't at the club for long, for example Brian Irvine despite being a good player for us, will always be an Aberdeen legend. Easy to list all the "wear their heart on their sleeve" captains, Connolly, Gilbert, Brittain... But for me best player is Billy Ferries wins it everytime, his performances of dragging the ball up the wings, crossing it to an in running GO or Duffers was immense, see him run Caley ragged at Telford St, these are the things that make him the best, and without his propelling the of the wings and winning games from there, then we wouldn't be in the Scottish League setup in the first place. In my time of watching 2nd place goes to Scott Boyd, loyalty and ability come to mind, 2nd 1st and SPL he has coped no problem. 3rd would be Derek Adams for service to the club as a whole plus was a legend in his own right as a player. Bullock for best Keeper!
"the beach balls are burst" Derek Adams 19/05/13

(03-06-2014, 08:00 AM)Wicky Wrote:
(03-06-2014, 01:37 AM)robinoz Wrote: there was a davie provan playing for rangers before the celtic davie provan. would have been the 1966 Scottish cup tie.

Now I understand. "There's only two Davie Provans, only two Davie Provans......." etc etc

Rangers Davie Provan suffering dementia and confined to a nursing home, such is the severity of his condition that it is unlikely Davie will be able to attend a dinner in his honour at Ibrox later this month -------------page 74 today's Sun.

My father John Patience played with Bremner, Browning, Ogilvie, George Sutherland, Fred Newton, Jocky Clark, Alec Ferguson Tommy Urquhart etc. I played in the same team as him when he was 58(my age now) and can't imagine myself playing now........these guys were a different breed.
As for favourite players; Jim Hosie Tucker, Big Don MacMillan in fact that whole 66 team. The striking partnership of Buchanan and Lynas, Jack Lornie, Gordie Seaton, Jim Fleming, Donnie Cleccan, and Willie Hamilton was a joy to watch. Of the modern era, Cowie, Brittain, Vigurs and John Rankin are stand outs. But I must mention Boukra and Zeus for all the wrong reasons!!!!

Richard Brittain is my choice. Played and Captained County in his prime and in our finest ever period. A newer version of Gordon Connelly I suppose who handled quite some silverware in the very early 90s. Both legends on different scales.
They never came North of Culloden

My cousin John "Jocky" Clark wasn't bad either - sad he didn't get to see County in the SPFL, but he'll always be one of the greatest County players to me.....
Supporter Liaison Officer 

(03-07-2014, 09:52 PM)dingwall.cof Wrote: Yeah, I have to play the Grandad card too, My number 1 player for County was my Grandpa, Johnny Bremner, only saw him play once, first half of a charity match down the Jubilee when he was in his 60's, he scored and took the game just as serious then as he always did.

As for watching County since the late 80's, the best player for County for me has to someone who has impacted on the team, even if they weren't at the club for long, for example Brian Irvine despite being a good player for us, will always be an Aberdeen legend. Easy to list all the "wear their heart on their sleeve" captains, Connolly, Gilbert, Brittain... But for me best player is Billy Ferries wins it everytime, his performances of dragging the ball up the wings, crossing it to an in running GO or Duffers was immense, see him run Caley ragged at Telford St, these are the things that make him the best, and without his propelling the of the wings and winning games from there, then we wouldn't be in the Scottish League setup in the first place. In my time of watching 2nd place goes to Scott Boyd, loyalty and ability come to mind, 2nd 1st and SPL he has coped no problem. 3rd would be Derek Adams for service to the club as a whole plus was a legend in his own right as a player. Bullock for best Keeper!

Your uncle had a famous matching name!
Billy Bremner, Leeds & Scotland , brilliant player.
Your Billy Bremner, was a good player too.

On the Sunday Football Review today from 12 - 2pm we will be asking this very question "Who is Ross County's greatest ever player?". Tune into North Highland Radio on www.northhighlandradio.co.uk and also message your thoughts on it at the same web address. In the studio today is Ross County fan Stephen Mackenzie who will be giving us his dream & nightmare Ross County teams as well as his thoughts on the season so far! For all County fans who have been starved of Football this Weekend tune in for your weekly fix of all things County!

(03-04-2014, 05:56 PM)Fleackeuy Wrote: Tucker Thompson

To those who saw wee Tucker and Billy ferries hard decision ,I say tucker between those two,best ever player,no question M. H. but brutal as S H Pointed it out but if we put it best ever club servant ,
now the answer changes
From my era Ian Grieg. Sandy Mackenzie. Jackie Lonnie. Alex Ferguson Chick ogilvie
Move forward to Gordon Connolly ect pretty hard choices from each era,if somebody had the time to break each section into eras,then choose from an era the final 2 players coming up most consistent,would be near it.

He wasn't the flashiest of players but wee Chrissy Somerville was always a favourite of mine.

(03-09-2014, 12:30 PM)frankthetank Wrote: He wasn't the flashiest of players but wee Chrissy Somerville was always a favourite of mine.

He was mr consistency. Shame we don't have players like him in today's team.

It's one of those questions,the most skillful or the most consistent, generation gaps. Players that stood out for me were Billy Ferries , Stansokolowski ,Jim Flemming , Connelly,Brett and Lornie. at the moment Brittain has been a great servant to the club and if you take into account all the trophies we have won recently and the posistion we are in it would be hard to argue with Richie.
To me the biggest legend will always be Chic Ogilvie.