Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Queens Park - OMFG It's the big one nobody's talking about
(07-30-2011, 04:42 PM)StrathyStaggie Wrote:
(07-30-2011, 04:37 PM)staggy4life Wrote: Flynn gets a decent amount of goals for a centre-back.

That's his 4th goal for us in all competitions since signing. Not bad likes.

4 in 28 is not bad for a centre-back. Better than Di Giacomo/Wood last season...

I hear the draw for next round is being made in Dingwall at the Highland Academy

game over and first win of the season...we need to improve...but it's better then last saturday...

We will take anyone at home. I fancy a wee cup run.

Good opening goal by Queens. My view of the red card was I thought it was a bit harsh. Certainly changed the game and we dominated for long spells in the second half. Relieved to get the win.
Good move by the club to let youngsters in for free if accompanied by an adult.
Onwards and upwardsSmile

Just back from the game. Queens Park scored with their first and only shot on target, and it all came through a long ball over the head of Johnny Flynn, who isn't a right back in the history of the earth. After that, County passed the ball around to no great effect. Main cause of this - Duncan is basically Kettlewell. Duncan looks heavy and slightly off the pace. I don't there's much point in playing both of them, as all our flowing movements came down the right from a back-on-form Brittain.

County dominated throughout, as they should, and were helped by a shocking red card. Corcoran - who had his typical 60 minutes - burst clean through but badly miscontrolled and knocked the ball half way to the corner flag. The QP left back intentionally took him out, but it was never in a month of Sundays a red card.

Second half, County gave the visitors a doing. McMenemin got on the end of a terrific piece of passing, getting on the end of a good cross and placing a spectacular volley past the enormous, competent and plump keeper. Second goal came after about 15 minutes of complete County dominance, three shots were blocked by a variety of bodies, feet and hands before Flynn (looking much more comfy at centre half when the disappointing Boyd was hooked for Miller) thumped it home from around the penalty spot.

Second half, admittedly against 10 men, County played at a decent tempo. Two other points of mention, Gary Miller should have seen red for a ridiculous elbow on the tiny wee Queens Park player who for some reason got booked instead, and Steven Craig threatening to "kick your effing head in" to the number 12 after he stamped on McMenemin (possibly unintentionally) then took out Midge in the space of five minutes.

Enjoyable game, nice macaroni pies, lovely sunshine.

(07-30-2011, 05:39 PM)Ed Wrote: Good move by the club to let youngsters in for free if accompanied by an adult.
It wasn't a club move. It was the cup organisers who decided this as every hosting club today let U16's in for free with a paying adult.

Seems I stand corrected, it was still a good gestureSmile
Should also say well done to the away support. They got right behind their side from the start, they may have been small in number but they were very vocal.

Tongue 
(07-30-2011, 05:42 PM)Savage Henry Wrote: ... a shocking red card. Corcoran - who had his typical 60 minutes - burst clean through but badly miscontrolled and knocked the ball half way to the corner flag. The QP left back intentionally took him out, but it was never in a month of Sundays a red card. ...

I thought it was the Last Man that took out Corcoran, so he would have had to go.
Malky Mackay - he's our new manager

(07-30-2011, 05:49 PM)Les Westander Wrote:
(07-30-2011, 05:42 PM)Savage Henry Wrote: ... a shocking red card. Corcoran - who had his typical 60 minutes - burst clean through but badly miscontrolled and knocked the ball half way to the corner flag. The QP left back intentionally took him out, but it was never in a month of Sundays a red card. ...

I thought it was the Last Man that took out Corcoran, so he would have had to go.

I assumed the rule was the last man had to be preventing a direct goalscoring opportunity. Not sure though. he was definitely last man.

(07-30-2011, 05:42 PM)Savage Henry Wrote: Second half, County gave the visitors a doing. McMenemin got on the end of a terrific piece of passing, getting on the end of a good cross and placing a spectacular volley past the enormous, competent and plump keeper. Second goal came after about 15 minutes of complete County dominance, three shots were blocked by a variety of bodies, feet and hands before Flynn (looking much more comfy at centre half when the disappointing Boyd was hooked for Miller) thumped it home from around the penalty spot.

So that's where Andy Goram ended up Tongue

(07-30-2011, 06:00 PM)kluey Wrote:
(07-30-2011, 05:42 PM)Savage Henry Wrote: Second half, County gave the visitors a doing. McMenemin got on the end of a terrific piece of passing, getting on the end of a good cross and placing a spectacular volley past the enormous, competent and plump keeper. Second goal came after about 15 minutes of complete County dominance, three shots were blocked by a variety of bodies, feet and hands before Flynn (looking much more comfy at centre half when the disappointing Boyd was hooked for Miller) thumped it home from around the penalty spot.

So that's where Andy Goram ended up Tongue

Hah. Couldn't have thought of a less similarly built keeper. This guy was about 6 ft 5 and had a bit of a belly. As opposed to Goram who was about 5 ft 11 and had about four bellies.

If im right I think the teams we can draw thanks to the wonderful idea of seeding are:
Motherwell,ICT, St Johnstone, Aberdeen, Hibs, St Mirren, Hamilton, Dunfermline, Raith Rovers, Falkirk And Queen Of the South.
"it's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am"
Muhammed Ali

Yup so I'm hoping for Queens at home. Probably the easiest team to play in order to progress.

(07-30-2011, 07:04 PM)staggy4life Wrote: Yup so I'm hoping for Queens at home. Probably the easiest team to play in order to progress.

True but we play them enough, the league game before the next round game in fact. Im hoping for someone we havent played for a while so Aberdeen home or away, or Motherwell at home would be nice.
"it's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am"
Muhammed Ali

let's hope in another home game...may be another lower opposition can be a good choice..

(07-30-2011, 05:49 PM)Les Westander Wrote:

The rule in question doesn't refer to the 'Last man' that everyone talks about. The rule in fact is
Quote:Red Card - A player must be shown a Red Card and "sent off" (i.e., made to leave the field) for the 7 offenses listed below. A player shown a "Red Card" & sent off may not be replaced during that game (i.e., his team must play a player "short" for the rest of the game; however, in some leagues a player may be replaced if he is ejected for receiving a second Yellow Card).
The 7 offenses for which a player must be shown a Red Card and sent off are:
- serious foul play (includes any use of excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball. Examples include a dangerous slide tackle from behind, or an "over the top tackle" in which a player raises his foot so the cleats could hit a player, or a two footed tackle that takes down the opponent. FIFA has broadened this definition by saying that "Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

- violent conduct,

- spitting at anyone,

- deliberately touching the ball with a hand in order to prevent a goal or to deny an obvious goal scoring opportunity (such as to prevent a "Breakaway".... this does not apply to the goalkeeper within his own
Penalty Box)

- fouling an opponent to prevent an obvious goal scoring opportunity (e.g., holding to stop a breakaway),

- using offensive, insulting or threatening language and/or gestures,

- or receiving a second yellow card in one game.

Given that Corcoran's touch had him running well wide of the goal, I wouldn't see it as a 'Obvious goal scoring opportunity'

As for the game, the first half we seemed to lack any major urgency, but the second half we were a lot hungrier, and got a well deserved 2 goal We could have had quite a few more.

I know some will say it's because we were playing against 10 men, but they did replace the defender who was sent off, sacrificing a striker. And the way we played the second half we kept them in the own half therefore the missing striker wouldn't have had much to do anyway !

Good win, should help confidence ahead of the league opener.
SHIRT NUMBER 34.

(formerly named Geordieland Staggie).

Registered member since March 2003.

(07-30-2011, 08:37 PM)thejailender Wrote: I know some will say it's because we were playing against 10 men, but they did replace the defender who was sent off, sacrificing a striker. And the way we played the second half we kept them in the own half therefore the missing striker wouldn't have had much to do anyway !

It was their left-winger Burns who was taken off. He was their biggest threat and created three chances including the goal. Flynn couldn't deal with him and I don't know if Miller would have done much better. The sending off had a knock-on effect, with Burns off the QP team sat deeper and pretty much invited County's full-backs to get forward more.

The difference in Fitzpatrick's attacking play from first-half to second-half was the biggest reason County won today, I think. Wasteful in the first half; confident in the second. Was it Adams's half-time team talk, confidence from playing against 10 men or a combination of factors?

(07-30-2011, 10:24 PM)bunglebonce Wrote:
(07-30-2011, 08:37 PM)thejailender Wrote: I know some will say it's because we were playing against 10 men, but they did replace the defender who was sent off, sacrificing a striker. And the way we played the second half we kept them in the own half therefore the missing striker wouldn't have had much to do anyway !

It was their left-winger Burns who was taken off. He was their biggest threat and created three chances including the goal. Flynn couldn't deal with him and I don't know if Miller would have done much better. The sending off had a knock-on effect, with Burns off the QP team sat deeper and pretty much invited County's full-backs to get forward more.

The difference in Fitzpatrick's attacking play from first-half to second-half was the biggest reason County won today, I think. Wasteful in the first half; confident in the second. Was it Adams's half-time team talk, confidence from playing against 10 men or a combination of factors?

The goal came from a ball over the top which Flynn totally misjudged. Fraser and Brittain were pretty quick to tell him what they thought. You've got to think Miller wouldn't have done that.
From a Queens Park point of view, their number 2 and their number 12 are utter bombscares. I think Morrison would have contributed more than Fitz. Taking off Boyd and bring on Miller was an excellent move by Adams.

Basically County started with the wrong full backs.