Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
First Man Utd v County match
Thought I'd start a thread for any old gadgies like me who remember the first time Tommy Docherty took a a big name Man Utd team up to play County.
Believe it or not ,but there was a restriction on cross border friendlies back then , but County got round it by donating £1 of every ticket to a SFA youth fund or a Highland league fund, cant remember!
Anyway Brian Kidd scored both goals for Utd to win. I'm sure Alex Stepney was in goal and Martin Buchan played, memory a bit hazy now.
Any one else remember thet game? Or am I too old to be starting my first ever thread!

(07-07-2013, 07:02 PM)tattiedave Wrote: Thought I'd start a thread for any old gadgies like me who remember the first time Tommy Docherty took a a big name Man Utd team up to play County.
Believe it or not ,but there was a restriction on cross border friendlies back then , but County got round it by donating £1 of every ticket to a SFA youth fund or a Highland league fund, cant remember!
Anyway Brian Kidd scored both goals for Utd to win. I'm sure Alex Stepney was in goal and Martin Buchan played, memory a bit hazy now.
Any one else remember thet game? Or am I too old to be starting my first ever thread!

Don't remember much about the game
Here is the Man utd pool from the programme
Alex Stepney
Jimmy Rimmer
Tony Young
Martin Buchan
George Graham
Steve James
Big Jim Holton
Willie Morgan
Brian Kidd
Lou Macari
Ian Moore
Mick Martin
Gerry Daly
Paul Fletcher

County team from
Bain
Pryce
Cummings
Brett
Seaton
Sokolowski
Gordon
Lornie
Savage
Garrow
Big Jim Lynas
Gray
Fleming
Slim Jim Hosie
Urquhart

God these names bring back some memories. My mate reckoned we were still eating the sausage rolls in November that were unsold at the game!!! Some great players who were good servants to County. Still say Hosie was brilliant and would be my first name in any County select

(07-07-2013, 09:38 PM)Skippers Son Wrote: God these names bring back some memories. My mate reckoned we were still eating the sausage rolls in November that were unsold at the game!!! Some great players who were good servants to County. Still say Hosie was brilliant and would be my first name in any County select

have to agree with you Hosie was different class,when he did the shuffle the opposing defenders had to pay to get back in to the park

Stan Sokolowski. The original Ginger Pele?

I remember Colin Brett as a tidy full back, and Gordon Seaton showing some silky touches bringing the ball out of defence.

Stan could play centre forward and centre half. Lynas knew where the back of the net was and how to get booked!! The only name I can't think of is Pryce -Any details to help out the altzeimers?

(07-08-2013, 11:07 AM)Skippers Son Wrote: Stan could play centre forward and centre half. Lynas knew where the back of the net was and how to get booked!! The only name I can't think of is Pryce -Any details to help out the altzeimers?

Yeah that one threw me too. Down as E.Pryce

Found this via Google:

"Edie Pryce in the Scottish Cup
by StattoStaggie » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:02 pm

Eddie did hit the big time when he signed for the mighty Ross County! Made his debut in a 4-0 win over forres mechanics and then turned out for County in their 1-0 Scottish Cup defeat from East Stirling in December 1972

Hope this helps

Statto"

Ex Rob Roy, Killie and St Mirren player by all accounts.
Big Grin
He's NOT the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

^^^^^^ An earlier Man Utd thread courtesy of tattiedave ^^^^

(06-08-2017, 09:48 PM)Dalneigh Gypo Wrote: ^^^^^^ An earlier Man Utd thread courtesy of tattiedave ^^^^

From your post Dalneigh.
Players that could make it today in the present County team.  IN BOLD

County team from
Bain     100% every game
Pryce
Cummings
Brett     Oustanding 
Seaton    Maybe?
Sokolowski     [b]Oustanding [/b]
Gordon
Lornie     
Savage     Good head
Garrow     Good head
Big Jim Lynas   One of the best headers of the ball you will ever see.
Gray      Good head
Fleming     Good head
Slim Jim Hosie     Say no more, Brilliant!
Urquhart      Very hard player

Skipper, the sausage rolls were supplied by Old Billy Deas in those days!  Outstanding product.